Boxing May 2nd - Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao

Remove this Banner Ad

Ended up being pretty much a routine Mayweather fight. He can call himself the greatest, but his fighting style is unremarkable in how boring it is. It's effective, and he's the best defensive fighter there is, but that's not what's appealing about boxing and it certainly doesn't compare to the fighters of the past. And yes, you can absolutely bring in Floyd's history of domestic violence when you talk about his 'legacy'.

Kellerman got some flack for his post-match with Manny but he asked the right stuff (just did so obnoxiously). Did not like Manny lagging off in the first couple of rounds. There were points to be had, and would have liked to of seen go at the body more. Five years ago it may have happened.

Fight had its moments, but went about as expected.

10-15? Is Pac 48-0?

Joe Calzaghe is 47-0 and beat 3 all time greats! Where do you rate him ?

Floyd is a gun bit he hasn't beaten a single ATG in their prime, not one. In fact Hattkn is his best win.

While Pac has won titles in 8 divisions across 11 divisions! No one will ever do that again.

This will be unpopular but anyway I'm surprised people actually thought Pacquiao got close. It was a clear win for Mayweather as much as I hate to admit it. Maidana probably caused him more issues than Pacquiao did. It was a pretty lacklustre fight for the casual observer but I'm not too sure what people were expecting. Most people who weren't blinded by bias knew that Mayweather would most likely win and Mayweather winning was always going to entail what we saw today. It's a large reason why he plays it up to the public because without it people won't watch his fights and he becomes the American Rigondeaux.

I'm not too sure where Mayweather will go from here. Not too many options at Welterweight that will add to his record other than getting him closer to 50-0. I wouldn't be shocked if he looks to move up a division given how weak the Middleweight division is outside of Golovkin. Even though he isn't getting any younger, Cotto/Geale, Taylor and Lee are all very beatable and winning a title at middleweight will really add to his legacy whereas hanging around at Welterweight won't. Big risk he runs he runs though is Golovkin will become the new Pacquiao and while I think Floyd wasn't overly scared of Pacquiao, Golovkin is the type of fighter he will avoid at all costs, particularly at his age. I sort of wonder if the Bobfather regrets using his spot on the televised undercard on Lomachenko now. Put Golovkin there, do what he always does and then have him call out the winner of Floyd-Pac and you have everyone talking about how they want to see Mayweather-Golovkin. Even in the likely event that Mayweather ducks him, there will still be a lot of hype surrounding Golovkin and he becomes a massive cashcow and a potential replacement to Mayweather once he retires.

Joe Calzaghe is 47-0 and beat 3 all time greats! Where do you rate him ?

Floyd is a gun bit he hasn't beaten a single ATG in their prime, not one. In fact Hattkn is his best win.

While Pac has won titles in 8 divisions across 11 divisions! No one will ever do that again.

Calzaghe beat a shot Roy Jones (and got rocked in the first round), beat a past his prime Hopkins - and arguably lost the fight, I had it to Bernard. Also Calzaghe beat Eubank - who was coming off a lay off and was a shadow of himself. I like Calzaghe, but lets not compare him to Mayweather. Regardless of Mayweathers boring style, he does have some good names on his resume, and they weren't shot when he fought them. Floyd called out a prime Shane Mosley and called out Kosta Tzysu, yet these guys avoided him like the plague.

Calzaghe beat a shot Roy Jones (and got rocked in the first round), beat a past his prime Hopkins - and arguably lost the fight, I had it to Bernard. Also Calzaghe beat Eubank - who was coming off a lay off and was a shadow of himself. I like Calzaghe, but lets not compare him to Mayweather. Regardless of Mayweathers boring style, he does have some good names on his resume, and they weren't shot when he fought them. Floyd called out a prime Shane Mosley and called out Kosta Tzysu, yet these guys avoided him like the plague.

Rubbish! Floyd is the A side in all those fights he fights who he wants to fight.

Just like how he put up a poll between Khan and Maidana and fought the loser

This will be unpopular but anyway I'm surprised people actually thought Pacquiao got close. It was a clear win for Mayweather as much as I hate to admit it. Maidana probably caused him more issues than Pacquiao did. It was a pretty lacklustre fight for the casual observer but I'm not too sure what people were expecting. Most people who weren't blinded by bias knew that Mayweather would most likely win and Mayweather winning was always going to entail what we saw today. It's a large reason why he plays it up to the public because without it people won't watch his fights and he becomes the American Rigondeaux.

I'm not too sure where Mayweather will go from here. Not too many options at Welterweight that will add to his record other than getting him closer to 50-0. I wouldn't be shocked if he looks to move up a division given how weak the Middleweight division is outside of Golovkin. Even though he isn't getting any younger, Cotto/Geale, Taylor and Lee are all very beatable and winning a title at middleweight will really add to his legacy whereas hanging around at Welterweight won't. Big risk he runs he runs though is Golovkin will become the new Pacquiao and while I think Floyd wasn't overly scared of Pacquiao, Golovkin is the type of fighter he will avoid at all costs, particularly at his age. I sort of wonder if the Bobfather regrets using his spot on the televised undercard on Lomachenko now. Put Golovkin there, do what he always does and then have him call out the winner of Floyd-Pac and you have everyone talking about how they want to see Mayweather-Golovkin. Even in the likely event that Mayweather ducks him, there will still be a lot of hype surrounding Golovkin and he becomes a massive cashcow and a potential replacement to Mayweather once he retires.

I think Floyd will fight Khan next, that fight is relatively easy to make, and it will sell. Could be a dangerous fight for Floyd, and Khan has a decent fan base. I think Mayweather takes the fight, but it could be interesting, Khan does have a lot of speed. Outside of Khan, I am not sure there is much out there for Mayweather. Cotto at 160 would be his next option.

5 years too late. Clearly both fighters have lost their spark, whilst Floyd maintained enough of his ring smarts to grind out a win. To Manny's credit, I thought he would have been absolutely schooled, but he held his head high.

I can't help but wonder how far boxing will crawl back into a cave once Manny and Floyd retire. I just hope that the undercard fights were not an indication of the talents(or lack off) coming through the ranks.

People can hate on the UFC as much as they like, but there's no denying that the unpredictable nature of mixed martial arts is what excites people more than boxing.

Fight of the century..... yeah, nah.

I think Floyd will fight Khan next, that fight is relatively easy to make, and it will sell. Could be a dangerous fight for Floyd, and Khan has a decent fan base. I think Mayweather takes the fight, but it could be interesting, Khan does have a lot of speed. Outside of Khan, I am not sure there is much out there for Mayweather. Cotto at 160 would be his next option.

Yeah although doesn't Khan have issues with Ramadan which makes him unlikely to be his next opponent? Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Yeah although doesn't Khan have issues with Ramadan which makes him unlikely to be his next opponent? Hopefully I'm wrong though.

He does but it moves every year I believe he may be ok this year

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, you are right. But IMO if the fight is seriously presented to Khan - then Ramadan will be the least of his problems. Khan will take the fight because he is probably the biggest narcissist in boxing - even ahead of Mayweather, if that is even possible.

is there anyone out there that can beat ,mayweather anyone young good challenger

Yeah, Kell Brook is Floyd's biggest threat, sadly for Brook, he doesn't even nearly have enough fan fare to get that fight. Brook is a big welter weight, is good by foot, and has superb timing. Footwork, timing and controlling the distance is the only shot at beating Mayweather, they have to beat him at his own game, and Brook is the only fighter out there that possesses such skills.

I'm glad it only cost me 60 instead of 300k for ring side seats.
Not a boxing expert, but it was worth the PPV for watching all 3 matches.
Disappointing Pac couldn't put Floyd on his ass at least once, but had some chances. Floyds reach was pretty important, and he got plenty of jabs to the face in. I wish he took it on more, but why would he risk it when he gets 200m no matter what.

fight-scorecard_3289928k.jpg

As someone how doesn't know a lot about boxing when the final bell rang I assumed that Pacquiao had won convincingly. Was quite surprised when I heard that it was a unanimous decision in favour of Mayweather. I commented that I thought after 10 rounds it was 7-3 to Pacquiao. I was actually shocked that Mayweather wasn't blazing in the final rounds assuming that he needed a knock in the final 2 rounds out to win it. I didn't really have a preference about who won it so that opinion wasn't based on any sort of personal bias but goes to show that there is a significant discrepency between scoring in boxing and the layman's eye.

As someone how doesn't know a lot about boxing when the final bell rang I assumed that Pacquiao had won convincingly. Was quite surprised when I heard that it was a unanimous decision in favour of Mayweather. I commented that I thought after 10 rounds it was 7-3 to Pacquiao. I was actually shocked that Mayweather wasn't blazing in the final rounds assuming that he needed a knock in the final 2 rounds out to win it. I didn't really have a preference about who won it so that opinion wasn't based on any sort of personal bias but goes to show that there is a significant discrepency between scoring in boxing and the layman's eye.
The only oddity was the 118-110, seemed way to wide. The two 116-112 were more like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing May 2nd - Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao

Remove this Banner Ad

Back