Boxing May 2nd - Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao

Remove this Banner Ad

The only oddity was the 118-110, seemed way to wide. The two 116-112 were more like it.
Only in Vegas. Pretty sure 1 judge scored a draw in one of Mayweather's recent fights, which clearly should have been unanimous and not split.

Mayweather got this payday, but he can forget about anyone paying for his next fight.

i dislike mayweather (both as a human being and as a boring fighter) as much as the next guy but thats rubbish. like every other one of his fights it will be huge, regardless of what can he will book himself to go against.

no matter what you think of floyd as a person you can't discount his ability as a pure boxer. Call it boring call it whatever you like, as a person who has been in the ring in amateur fights and still spars rounds on a weekly basis and watches plenty of boxing I can say he is the best boxer on the planet.

The aim of boxing is to hit and not get hit and his numbers don't lie. Manny pacquiao is one of the best fighters ever, a brutal volume puncher and today he landed almost half the punches of his opponent a measly 81 punches in 12 rounds. Floyds footwork to get himself out of the pocket and out of trouble is unbelievable, he does it that fast it looks like he runs. His work off the ropes to spin out of trouble is unparalleled.

Let's get one thing straight, there is nowhere to run in a boxing ring, floyd slips, slides, uses his reach and his jab to control the tempo and counter punches to perfection and nobody in 48 fights has been able to even lay a hand on him to trouble him in any way. Manny got him a few times today, just like maidana, canelo, Mosley and everybody else has got him a few times. But there are 12 rounds in a boxing match and he has the ability to control the vast majority of them.

Yes he's not Tyson in terms of knock out power and excitement but boxing is not about getting a knock out, it's about hitting and not getting hit and no matter how boring it may look to people who don't understand it floyd mayweathers ability as a pure boxer is unparalleled.

48 and 0 over 20 years is undeniable

I don't think 118-110 was that outrageous, I only had 3 rounds for Manny myself.

I thought 118-110 was outrageous personally, but we all tend to score fights differently. I thought it was a much closer fight than that particular judge thought, but I'll have another look at the fight less the good company and beer.

I thought 118-110 was outrageous personally, but we all tend to score fights differently. I thought it was a much closer fight than that particular judge thought, but I'll have another look at the fight less the good company and beer.
Good call. Mates, noise, beer makes it hard to concentrate.

Interesting Bob Arum has blamed a ruling that denied Pacquiao anti-inflammatory shots before this fight, but it was blood extraction (one of the main reasons) that he was concerned about 4-5years ago that stalled previous negotiatons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

116-112 is right, it went according to plan, Floyd was elusive, too quick on the counter and Manny had trouble with Floyd's reach advantage. No point in a rematch, Manny has been done for a couple of years now and is a shadow of the fighter he was back in 2009/10 when this fight should've happened. Floyd will have his final fight in September and will finish undefeated.

Fight of the century, nup, but there would be a few of us older lovers of the ignoble art (i have the original book :) ) that remembrs the golden period in the early 80's Sugar Ray/Duran/Hagler/Hearns. Transport that 5 year period to now and pay per view would go through the roof, todays fight would have been the undercard.

Fight of the century, nup, but there would be a few of us older lovers of the ignoble art (i have the original book :) ) that remembrs the golden period in the early 80's Sugar Ray/Duran/Hagler/Hearns. Transport that 5 year period to now and pay per view would go through the roof, todays fight would have been the undercard.

In fairness, given the context with boxing being so far from the public consciousness today, this fight was absolutely enormous - so many casuals were talking about it. Two guys who deserve a spot in the top 20 P4P fighters of all time... It was an appropriate tagline. The fight didn't live up to the tagline in terms of action, but you can't predict that pre-fight (although most did expect this would be a tactical battle).

I do agree it didn't quite have the prestige that the golden eras had; but it was as big as possible in the contemporary boxing environment.

As for the fight, credit to Floyd for executing what most thought would happen. I was happy to see Manny have a couple of moments where he had Floyd in a little bit of trouble (round 4 in particular), but he was never going to stop him. Floyd is a bad style match up for Manny so I'm proud of Manny's efforts.. He forced the action as much as he could without being recklessly knocked out.

Pacquiao had Mayweather on the ropes getting peppered with punches a few times. Had him backed into a corner and rocked his face with some serious power. There was one point Pacman had him completely locked up and I thought a knock-out was on the cards.

Mayweather never did that to Manny. He just defended and got the win. Pathetic.

I had rounds 4 and 10 definitely Pacquiao. Gave him round 6 as well but it was flip of a coin. Couple of other rounds were also very hard to call.

Still don't get the confusion about the 118-110 score... Which 3rd round is everyone giving definitively to Manny?

In fairness, given the context with boxing being so far from the public consciousness today, this fight was absolutely enormous - so many casuals were talking about it. Two guys who deserve a spot in the top 20 P4P fighters of all time... It was an appropriate tagline. The fight didn't live up to the tagline in terms of action, but you can't predict that pre-fight (although most did expect this would be a tactical battle).

I do agree it didn't quite have the prestige that the golden eras had; but it was as big as possible in the contemporary boxing environment.

As for the fight, credit to Floyd for executing what most thought would happen. I was happy to see Manny have a couple of moments where he had Floyd in a little bit of trouble (round 4 in particular), but he was never going to stop him. Floyd is a bad style match up for Manny so I'm proud of Manny's efforts.. He forced the action as much as he could without being recklessly knocked out.
Totally agree, i loved it in context. I enjoyed the fight immensely and looking foward to the replay. I dont under stand the negativity here

And on the Sugar Ray/Duran/Hagler/Hearns era, that was the perfect entree to our own golden era. So spoilt we were back then.

I had rounds 4 and 10 definitely Pacquiao. Gave him round 6 as well but it was flip of a coin. Couple of other rounds were also very hard to call.

Still don't get the confusion about the 118-110 score... Which 3rd round is everyone giving definitively to Manny?

I didn't score it on paper... But I remember having it 6-4 going into round 11 because I was thinking "he MUST come out and win these two rounds decisively". He lost them both. Definitely rounds 4 and 6, maybe 9 and 10 were the others? Or 8? I can't remember. There were a few rounds that were quite close including those I gave to Floyd. 118-110 was too wide in my eyes but oh well.

I don't really follow boxing, but are the 'points' just the number of punches they land? Are certain punches worth more than others eg. head shot vs body shot?

I thought Mayweather controlled the match from start to finish, with a round or two where Manny looked like he was starting to get on top. Thought Floyd was the clear winner, surprised to see people think otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing May 2nd - Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao

Remove this Banner Ad

Back