McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jenkins wasnt rated by Essendon. Even Lloyd said he thought he was a dud.
He was also on their rookie list and could of kept him by upgrading, yet chose not to.
Try and get Aaron Francis off them and see what price we would pay.

Francis hasn't shown much at all at AFL level. He is one that could take a few years to come on, if at all. I am still on the edge about him.

I agree.
Dear could replace Gov. It was just Jeff's opinion he couldn't
GOV main strength is marking and getting to a contest and pressure.
I believe Dear could do that.

Not in a chance in hell Dear could replace Gov.

Dear is nowhere near as mobile as Gov. He wouldn't apply anywhere near the tackling pressure Gov could, and he wouldnt be able to get around the ground as easily. He's also nowhere near as good when the ball hits the deck. Dear would only be good for a contested mark here and there and maybe relief rucking.

Our forward line would just be way too slow and tall and rebounding defenders would run rings around us. The only reason we are currently playing 4 tall forwards is that despite Gov's aerial prowess, he's also quick, agile, brilliant at applying pressure and has x-factor by the bucketloads. He's essentially a 191cm small forward with vice-like hands.

Dear has NONE of these traits. Not a chance in hell that he plays in Gov's spot imo while all of Tex, Lynch and JJ are in the side. It "should" be a Menzel/Beech/Ben Davis type to take that spot.

Last edited:

Dear is nowhere near as mobile as Gov. He wouldn't apply anywhere near the tackling pressure Gov could, and he wouldnt be able to get around the ground as easily. He's also nowhere near as good when the ball hits the deck. Dear would only be good for a contested mark here and there and maybe relief rucking.

Our forward line would just be way too slow and tall and rebounding defenders would run rings around us. The only reason we are currently playing 4 tall forwards is that despite Gov's aerial prowess, he's also quick, agile, brilliant at applying pressure and has x-factor by the bucketloads. He's essentially a 191cm small forward with vice-like hands.

Dear has NONE of these traits. Not a chance in hell that he plays in Gov's spot imo while all of Tex, Lynch and JJ are in the side. It "should" be a Menzel/Beech/Ben Davis type to take that spot.

Have you watched any SANFL games? Dear is very quick and agile for his size, actually he is quicker and more agile than some of those smaller than him! He also applies pressure as he should and as for x-factor, while he doesn't have the consistency of high leaps that Gov does, he definitely can do that as well (check out the pre-season games he played last year).

Have you watched any SANFL games? Dear is very quick and agile for his size, actually he is quicker and more agile than some of those smaller than him! He also applies pressure as he should and as for x-factor, while he doesn't have the consistency of high leaps that Gov does, he definitely can do that as well (check out the pre-season games he played last year).

I have watched him play multiple times and understand that Dear is a good mover for someone of his size, but again he's no McGovern.

Like I said, Gov is almost like a 3rd small forward for us, just that he's tall and take a mark. I can't see Dear getting anywhere remotely close to reproducing what Gov does for us, he's just not a similar type full stop.

Can only really see Dear playing if Tex or JJ needed replacing (at this stage).

Dear hasn't had a crack. Like Gov he showed similar in SANFL.
You might be right, but I saw dear harrassing and hounding with speed and taking good marks.
Guess we won't know untill he leaves and does a Gunston

I think we can do everything right as a club, but if a player doesn't want to live in SA, then they will still leave.
He signed his last contract extension to stay. He obviously doesn't hate it here. It's on us.

That is a reality some people are unwilling to accept at times.
It's an excuse some are very keen to latch onto.

If we buy it then it means the club gets no credit for keeping Sloane or Walker. They were just happy to live in SA, that's all.

He signed his last contract extension to stay. He obviously doesn't hate it here. It's on us.
He had absolutely no leverage last time. He was coming off injuries again and played a handful of inconsistent games in the reserves. It was a no-brainer for him to accept an extension then. It's a completely different situation now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we buy it then it means the club gets no credit for keeping Sloane or Walker. They were just happy to live in SA, that's all.
Exactly. There will be player's who like it. There will be player's who hate it. That's a fact of living in someplace like Adelaide, especially when you bring player's over from Melbourne where AFL is king.

That's not a reflection on the club, I've had plenty of work environments where I didn't want to leave, but did for various reasons.

Dangerfield didn't hate it at the AFC either, he also didn't mind staying there for his early 20s.
????

Our club guaranteed itself no short term success due to off-field incompetence. A fact I'm certain was not lost on Dangerfield.

????

Our club guaranteed itself no short term success due to off-field incompetence. A fact I'm certain was not lost on Dangerfield.

He said it was Geelong or Adelaide, there were no other sides considered. When he left, our side was equally as talented as Geelong's if not more despite sanctions. There is zero evidence he left because of the Tippett saga. If he was only looking for short term success, I'm not sure Geelong would have been his only choice.

It's not an excuse it's a fact of life, people choose a location before they choose an employer, unless they have no choice. Some people like SA, others don't, it's not for everyone. I personally will never permanently move back to SA, it's not for me. I didn't hate it, I liked a lot of things about it, but I prefer other parts of the country.

He said it was Geelong or Adelaide, there were no other sides considered. When he left, our side was equally as talented as Geelong's if not more despite sanctions. There is zero evidence he left because of the Tippett saga. If he was only looking for short term success, I'm not sure Geelong would have been his only choice.
If you ignore all his comments since Tippettgate then sure but I'm not sure why you would. He was as categorical as anyone could possibly be in that situation.

He was weighing up club vs home and the club had the disadvantage of screwing itself over. Made it an easy choice.

Good clubs make it a harder choice. Or... an easier choice perhaps more accurately.

McGovern... if he's playing a key role in a successful team with a good coaching structure and good playing group culture and gets a good contract offer from a professionally run club... then happy days.

If he's at a jobs for the boys pretender who sat on their hands in trade week and are about to slide back down the ladder plus used up all their cap space on middle tier players... then he's susceptible to being lured home.

Wanna point me to the quote where he said he was leaving because we were "guaranteed" no short term success?
You seriously don't remember what he said about the sanctions? How could any Adelaide fan not?

It would be weird with Gov if he left. He isnt a flog like Tippett or Danger or Gunston. He seems like a nice quiet boy who might be missing his family.
And you could fully understand him wanting to play with his brother.

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

Back