McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our club still does this regularly. We might not pay for the flights all the time etc, but we are recognised as the leader in the AFL by the other clubs for the way we deal with / welcome families to our club and keep them informed and involved.
I heard this a few years ago and assumed it was still happening but not sure. A member of a players extended family clued me in. Player still left but appreciated all that was done.

I wonder if this is backfiring in the case of McGovern. He is looking around and missing his big brother - poor widdle thing. ;)
Can we not go down this style of posting over an article by a hack WA journo? Don't start throwing dung at Mitch when the kid has done nothing but play his guts out for us.

I suppose what upsets me is that we definitely have a retention problem and it needs to be addressed. It is definitely cultural...
I don't agree. But you are entitled to your view :)

Now I am home I will chase this up. But forgive an old man when he has seen too many good players labelled ''guns'' when they haven't played a game :)
Had a read through and most had spotted potential. Most wanted more based on that potential. So kudos to those who saw the ability.

Can we not go down this style of posting over an article by a hack WA journo? Don't start throwing dung at Mitch when the kid has done nothing but play his guts out for us.

I wasn't. I was making a light hearted joke. Like I said in an earlier post, I dont have any problem if he wants to go home. I still want us to play him to increase his trade value for if the trade happens. I hope he stays, but player movement is part of the modern game. Its taking some people a while to catch on. Thats also why I dont buy all this, "he wont come to Adelaide" nonsense either. Players would move to New Zealand or Singapore if that was where the opportunities were.

I would like us to go hard for an elite young midfielder next off season (think better and younger than Gibbs please). To do that we will need to trade and its a good thing that two clubs may value one of our players at $2m over 4 years. You cant hope to land a Fyfe or Shiel without being willing to give up a good player in return. If McGovern wants to go home, he just makes the decision on which player to trade easy. If he wants to stay then we keep him and try to flog off a lesser player.

Its not a hack article. Its true that both WA clubs are into Gov big time and the club is worried about keeping him. I heard it a couple of weeks ago from our clubs side of things and posted it on this forum. The article just said the same thing. It didnt say he was going to leave or stay, just that he is hot property in WA.

Himmelberg was drafted with a first rounder and has played some games. No way he has devalued since then.
If Himmelberg is a 1st rounder I can live with that

Just means Gov is an even earlier 1st rounder

All depends what on what happens this season

If Gov kicks 40 and Himmelberg can't break into the side as Haynes is basically playing his role then Gov is worth more than Himmelberg

If Gov kicks 40 and Himmelberg can't break into the side as Haynes is basically playing his role then Gov is worth more than Himmelberg
My guess would be Marchbank set the value for someone like Himmelberg (depending on what HH does this year). He was traded for Geelong's first rounder and a couple of 3rds with GWS's second rounder and Pickett coming back with him. Marchbank was injured more than Himmelberg, but they played him ahead of HH when they could.

Reid at least seems to be willing to play hardball more than Noble ever was, so that means we may not just hand over our best pick straight away without haggling.

Himmelberg was drafted with a first rounder and has played some games. No way he has devalued since then.

I don't know if thats true. If Himmelberg refuses a new contract then the only value he has is what other clubs are willing to pay for him. Will he have met the expectations after 2 years that we had for him when we bid for him? Is there other kids in the first round of the 2017 draft who have more upside? He has only played 4 games. We will know more after this season. If he doesnt play in 2017 then he is not worth a first rounder.

I wouldnt swap him for McGovern and doubt we would get a first rounder for McGovern if he refused to sign a contract extension.

I would want a top ten pick for Gov, but I have little faith in the club to get more than a second. And if that happens people will defend it with cries of PSD, Elliot Himmelberg, Dear and Menzel are all better players and the person we draft with our second rounder will of course be a gun because Hamish is the second coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if thats true. If Himmelberg refuses a new contract then the only value he has is what other clubs are willing to pay for him. Will he have met the expectations after 2 years that we had for him when we bid for him? Is there other kids in the first round of the 2017 draft who have more upside? He has only played 4 games. We will know more after this season. If he doesnt play in 2017 then he is not worth a first rounder.

I wouldnt swap him for McGovern and doubt we would get a first rounder for McGovern if he refused to sign a contract extension.
GWS used a first round pick on him after we offered a first round pick for him.
He has done nothing to lose his value. GWS can afford to let him go to the PSD if they want as they are loaded with talent and picks.
And I could see us giving up a first for him, as we already offered that for him.

I would want a top ten pick for Gov, but I have little faith in the club to get more than a second. And if that happens people will defend it with cries of PSD, Elliot Himmelberg, Dear and Menzel are all better players and the person we draft with our second rounder will of course be a gun because Hamish is the second coming.

I guess the question is, if he went to the draft when would he get picked up. Would a club pick him up with pick 8,9 or 10? I think he probably would go late first round actually. Would Eagles/Freo want to burn their first pick for him? If so, then they just do the trade with us to keep relations amicable for the future. I would have thought it depends on how these two clubs do this year. If one of them finishes in the top 8 then they probably would give their first round pick to us. But if either of them finishes bottom 4, then there is no way they give that up for Gov. If either club is willing to burn their first pick on him then we have very little bargaining power unless it looks like other clubs might snap him up before a WA club.

I feel slightly more confident with Reid than Noble, who seemed to take unders/offer overs in order to "maintain good trading relationships" or whatever. Which I mean, it seems obvious teams would be willing to trade with you when you are willing to be really flexible in what you take/give.

GWS used a first round pick on him after we offered a first round pick for him.
He has done nothing to lose his value. GWS can afford to let him go to the PSD if they want as they are loaded with talent and picks.
And I could see us giving up a first for him, as we already offered that for him.

Thats not how it works. There still has to be that demand for him. We might have been the only club sweet on him at that pick. GWS matched him. So although they took him at 16, he actually only cost them picks 48, 50, 55 and 59 (Wikipedia). They may not have picked him if they had pick 16 and had to use it like the rest of the clubs. On top of all of this, his value in 2015 is not the same as in 2017. He may not have done anything to lose his value, but has he done enough to maintain his value? Look through any draft list and see which players would get a trade for the same value of pick that they were taken for 2 years down the track. It varies wildly.

How about this - we trade for picks 48, 50, 55 and 59 and offer that to GWS for Harrison :)

Maybe. Have heard several of the boys talk about how the club is a tight knit family. This may be an extension of that. Its a good idea as long as it doesnt get caught up in Tippet-like salary cap breaches. Should be looking after the wives and families as much as we can. It is a great idea to let siblings who are trying to break into the AFL use our development squad to help them. We know that these siblings probably have the pedigree through their AFL playing brothers.

I wonder if this is backfiring in the case of McGovern. He is looking around and missing his big brother - poor widdle thing. ;)

Why don't we poach his brother then. Jezza goes alright.

Why don't we poach his brother then. Jezza goes alright.

Hey you don't have to ask me twice. Would make room for him somewhere. Thing I like about him is he is a winner. His attitude is phenomenal. Guy is a baller. But you dont let home grown players like that go. I sometimes wonder if some of the love crows fans have for Mitch is due to watching his brother and seeing the similarities.

Maybe. Have heard several of the boys talk about how the club is a tight knit family. This may be an extension of that. Its a good idea as long as it doesnt get caught up in Tippet-like salary cap breaches. Should be looking after the wives and families as much as we can. It is a great idea to let siblings who are trying to break into the AFL use our development squad to help them. We know that these siblings probably have the pedigree through their AFL playing brothers.

Well, let's turn this around and bring his brother here!

Ed: Sorry, Misty. Didn't see your post at the time.

We've been in that position for the last 5 years
And will be for the next however long. It's a fact of life with free agency and recruiting kids from other states. People really just need to harden up. We'll win some and lose some. Swings and round abouts.

I feel slightly more confident with Reid than Noble, who seemed to take unders/offer overs in order to "maintain good trading relationships" or whatever. Which I mean, it seems obvious teams would be willing to trade with you when you are willing to be really flexible in what you take/give.
It seems we value the title of "fair traders", while Essendon for instance say 'screw that we want overs'. I think it has worked for Essendon. Any team who has to deal with them knows its going to be a tough battle and they are gonna have to pay a fair price. And with that type of hard nosed trading, Essendon havent lost any players via the PSD.

The only way we can afford to lose Gov is to maximise our chances to grab midfield talent . Definitely requires a 1st rounder and IMO its about time we traded in to pointy end of draft to get a blue chip mid

the only way I can cope with losing Gov is for us to win the overall trade and think it's possible

It seems we value the title of "fair traders", while Essendon for instance say 'screw that we want overs'. I think it has worked for Essendon. Any team who has to deal with them knows its going to be a tough battle and they are gonna have to pay a fair price. And with that type of hard nosed trading, Essendon havent lost any players via the PSD.
And yet we have Jenkins

McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

Back