Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 8

Remove this Banner Ad

This could go in either media thread.
Meady is my all time favourite player.
Sad to see his interview/thoughts interwoven with the narrative about how successful we’ve been as an interstate club just to make finals….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

741EB779-9493-4C26-97DA-7D749B952BE1.jpeg

Only one of these clubs has its historian/content creator constantly trot out defeatist references to how difficult things are, despite the fact the club would be universally considered to be an established powerhouse had it remotely taken its opportunities — many from an undeniably favourable position of strength.

Only one of these clubs has a Chairman who gleefully labels his organisation as “little” in stature.

View attachment 1795298

Only one of these clubs has its historian/content creator constantly trot out defeatist references to how difficult things are, despite the fact the club would be universally considered to be an established powerhouse had it remotely taken its opportunities — many from an undeniably favourable position of strength.

Only one of these clubs has a Chairman who gleefully labels his organisation as “little” in stature.
Of course when the Crows won their Premierships it was a different system, they didn’t have another SA team competing for talent and the AFL had less clubs.
Similarly I disregard any Crows AFLW Premierships due to such a small comp.

Yeah, if you remove size from the equation, the redeveloped Sydney Football Stadium (Allianz) leaves the MCG for dead, in my opinion.

The new Allianz is awesome, was there for Columbia v Germany back a month or so. Noisy lot those Columbians!!

View attachment 1795298

What annoyed me about this article was the fact that Mead was an underrated old style defender who pretty much was a poster boy for what represented the Port Adelaide values (along with some guy called Wilson who could also play a bit).

Almost every club article we see now is underpinned by the lowering of expectations and diluted definitions as to what constitutes success.

Of course when the Crows won their Premierships it was a different system, they didn’t have another SA team competing for talent .....
Are you sure there wasn't another SA team in the AFL when the Camry Crows won flags in 1997 and 1998?

View attachment 1795298

One of the best things about getting JHF into our team this year was he added some much needed mongrel. If I was to define it, it would be a mixture of guts, determination, high expectations (accountability) and confidence. It's not being afraid to mix it up and it's a confidence that imbues it's possessor with a determination to destroy. High expectations are a perfect counter balance to this.
It's no coincidence that those descriptors also perfectly capture what the Port Adelaide Football Club came to stand for. That lack of mongrel we had as a team is a manifestation of the lack of mongrel we now have as a club (via our leaders). You can have everything else but if you don't have that, success will be fleeting. True Port Adelaide people never flinched at what Warren Treadrea said this year, they agreed with it because it was true. Thats what people outside the club have never understood, and it's why you either loved us or hated us. You don't fear accountability, you embrace it. If the criticism isn't warranted, you'd have the mongrel to go and prove everyone wrong, not whinge about being under attack. I feel like as a playing group we now have some of that (the streak was on their back), I just want to see some from our coach and the leadership of our club.

Last edited:
SEN SA suggesting that port won’t be giving players to AA for interviews other than those with contracts as fallout for some Rowie comments.

SEN SA suggesting that port won’t be giving players to AA for interviews other than those with contracts as fallout for some Rowie comments.

About ****ing time.

Can’t see how we can allow players to be interviewed by someone who actually said ‘I hope you get knocked out in straight sets and when it happens, I’ll be drinking your tears?’

If a port media person said this about the crows - the crows wouldn’t have to worry about pulling their players out of any commitments because the port media person would be sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could go in either media thread.
Meady is my all time favourite player.
Sad to see his interview/thoughts interwoven with the narrative about how successful we’ve been as an interstate club just to make finals….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I seem to remember this first final and Dew kicking a couple in the 3rd qtr, and on a wet day the ball comes to the near side wing, Mead leads Carey to the ground ball, and Carey just disposes Mead right in the middle of the back and took the ball and North scored from there to wrest the momentum back.

it’s how I remember it anyway, might look for the vision.
edit: looked at short highlights package and I was wrong Argh

Last edited:
Surely this can't be true. Isn't this a bit thin skinned? Doesn't this kind of stuff play into the whole notion of a toothless local media because they have to appease the two local clubs. How about we just stick it up him by winning? We used to be all about this sort of crap. Since when did allow some whinging Norwood idiot to get under our skin? Jeez, grow a spine.

Surely this can't be true. Isn't this a bit thin skinned? Doesn't this kind of stuff play into the whole notion of a toothless local media because they have to appease the two local clubs. How about we just stick it up him by winning? We used to be all about this sort of crap. Since when did allow some whinging Norwood idiot to get under our skin? Jeez, grow a spine.
Not at all

Im
Not at all
Not saying we just take it on the chin, but I'd rather us hit back than take our ball and go home. Rowie's never purported to be unbiased. This is banter. Weren't there Port supporters calling to rub it in and he was responding? Who cares? The argument of "what do you think would happen if it happened to the Crows?" is the worst possible argument. Since when do take our lead from that mob? I mean, we're the ones playing finals right? I'm not sure about drinking our tears, the river runneth over with tears from Crow supporters over the last couple of weeks.

I’d still let the boys go on AA - just don’t speak to Rowe. Let his questions be met with the silence and dead air-time they deserve… I’d listen in for that.

This is terrible. If Aliir Aliir wants to interview people then the rest of the side should do their best to help him out.

I’d still let the boys go on AA - just don’t speak to Rowe. Let his questions be met with the silence and dead air-time they deserve… I’d listen in for that.
Would be better to just go on and bring it up every time.

Just answer every question with "well obviously you think we will go out in straight sets and have a dud coach but..."

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If/when we fail in finals I hope to hear Rowe address the club on air and say he didn't want to talk to their loser players anyway.

If they are so pissed about it then confront him on air, you cowards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back