News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not looking good for Simmo.

Weird timing though.
If you're going to flick him, why not wait until the end of the year?
Talk about a knee jerk reaction to a 100pt loss.

The worst thing that could happen is that simmo is sacked and we have a meaningless win against the crows.

Talk about a knee jerk reaction to a 100pt loss.

The worst thing that could happen is that simmo is sacked and we have a meaningless win against the crows.

If sacking the coach can suddenly turn this rabble into a team capable of beating the Crows (who beat us by 130 last game) then it simply proves it was the right move

And its hardly a knee-jerk reaction

It's 2 and half years of pure shite with 7x100 points losses in that time

Still don't believe it till it happens though

Gold Coast Suns R1 Draft History:
2016: 4, 7, 9 10
2017: -
2018: 2, 3, 6
2019: 1, 2, 11
2020: 7
2021: 5
2022: 4

Ladder position: 15th

Averaging close to two top ten picks for the past 7 years and finishing 15th, yet nothing from the media?

Gold Coast Suns R1 Draft History:
2016: 4, 7, 9 10
2017: -
2018: 2, 3, 6
2019: 1, 2, 11
2020: 7
2021: 5
2022: 4

Ladder position: 15th

Averaging close to two top ten picks for the past 7 years and finishing 15th, yet nothing from the media?

I think the issues of retention of well know. Funnily enough, they have a better drafting history than GWS with their high picks.

GWS have selected some average players/serious duds with their top 10 picks across the years (as well as some guns).

Patton, Boyd, O'Rourke, Pickett, Ahern off the top of my head.

I think we have had 5 top ten picks in total since 2000? And never really missed. Sampi the worst I guess in terms of career and no one would doubt his ability.

I think the issues of retention of well know. Funnily enough, they have a better drafting history than GWS with their high picks.

GWS have selected some average players/serious duds with their top 10 picks across the years (as well as some guns).

Patton, Boyd, O'Rourke, Pickett, Ahern off the top of my head.

I think we have had 5 top ten picks in total since 2000? And never really missed. Sampi the worst I guess in terms of career and no one would doubt his ability.
You've scrubbed McDougall from your mind, it seems.

Pick 5.

Was vying with Nick Riewoldt for the #1 pick before an injury at the AFL draft camp that year :oops:

He was in 2000 though, so I guess he wasn't one of those drafted from 2001.

Ah right, yeah I just went from Judd in my head. Off the top of my head it is:

Judd - pick 3 Multiple AA and Brownlow, generational player
Sampi - pick 5 (?) 78 games, good player but a miss
Masten - pick 3 200+ games, premiership player
Nic Nat - pick 2 3 x AA, B&F winner
Shepperd - pick 7 200+ games, AA
Gaff - pick 4 250+ games, AA
Ginbey - pick 8 Wait and see

So 7. That is a good strike rate.

If sacking the coach can suddenly turn this rabble into a team capable of beating the Crows (who beat us by 130 last game) then it simply proves it was the right move

We're better off to part ways at the end of the season.

Completely pointless to do it with 2 games to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we go for a full clean-out, who are we tipping will chair off Nizzy?
Coffin Dancing GIF

It’s NORTH OR NOTHING!

We won’t be able to secure Daniel Curtin, who we really really really want unless we trade down the draft to take him. Only North Melbourne can help us now. ☹️
The article pretty much only indicates that if WCE were to trade back, it would have to be for pick 2 only, so that rules out Melbourne, Suns & Essendon making a play.

Obviously a trade would need to be weighted in WCE's favour and honestly, based on Rawlings' comments a couple of weeks back, I can't see them going too hard at it.

It’s NORTH OR NOTHING!

We won’t be able to secure Daniel Curtin, who we really really really want unless we trade down the draft to take him. Only North Melbourne can help us now. ☹️
Am i missing something, or is it the case that if we are going to want 3 first rounders to consider the idea of trading out Pick 1 there are only two clubs we can identify at this stage who might have 3 first rounders (including one top 5 pick) to trade - North and Melbourne. If what we want is multiple first round draft picks and not players in return for trading down then there are limited clubs we will be able to trade with.

I do wonder if Rawlings was playing mind games with us by making his public comments about wanting a tall defender with their first pick. Trying to convince us that if we trade Pick 1 to Melbourne then we won't be able to get Reid or Curtain.

It’s NORTH OR NOTHING!

is there really any point in trading out pick 1 for pick 2.

if the want curtin, just get him with pick 1 then we will look forward to dark sharts comparing Reid to curtain every farken game

If the new coach gives us a bounce and we beat the Crows that is the opposite of proving it is the right move. That win could be the difference between pick 1 and pick 4 based on bidding and compensation.

In hindsight these two years are going to be an absolute boon for us as 2008 and 2010 were. Going to fast track the rebuild by getting top end talent immediately rather than gradually drifting to the bottom.

If the new coach gives us a bounce and we beat the Crows that is the opposite of proving it is the right move. That win could be the difference between pick 1 and pick 4 based on bidding and compensation.

In hindsight these two years are going to be an absolute boon for us as 2008 and 2010 were. Going to fast track the rebuild by getting top end talent immediately rather than gradually drifting to the bottom.

Completely missing the point I was making

If we're good enough to beat the Crows it shouldn't take sacking the coach (or farewell games) to motivate the players. Said coach should be able to do that every week if he's the right man for the job.

We have no chance beating the crows when we will already have two blokes playing who will be on one leg playing their last games.. the odds on neither making it to half time would be pretty short.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back