Prediction Melbourne, the next dynasty club.

Remove this Banner Ad

But the reality is the vote was to swap the name "Demons" for "Hawks" in exchange for all of Hawthorn's assets and a big injection of funds and support from the AFL. Hawthorn......would have ceased to exist.

I'm not sure that is correct.

I disagree on Port 04 being a dynasty club they were at the end of their contending period after dominating home and away seasons from 01-03 but not being able to get it done to finally breaking through. Besides that I do agree it's a wait and see, but I'm pretty confident this group won't fall off like the Doggies in 2016, I'm not saying dynasty necessarily but will be contending for the next few years.

Not that they were nearly as strong when they made it but port were still the runners up three seasons later

Not that they were nearly as strong when they made it but port were still the runners up three seasons later

Kudos to Port getting up there again but I still consider the 04 team end of an era.

I should add to that post I feel the same about the Doggies that I do with Melbourne. As in yeah the Doggies fell away after 2016 but I think their list profile now is much better and will be in contention for years to come.

You’re the one who brought up the injuries, if anyone needs to get a grip it’s someone with the severe amount of cognitive dissonance required to think the Bulldogs were a more injury hit opponent than GWS were in 2019 lol. It’s also not even close, I notice that you totally ignored Deledio and focused on Patton and 2019 Coniglio was a substantially better player than Jack Graham so clearly I’m not the one desperately focusing on tiny points or whatever. I still don’t see how the Dogs were more underdone than us when May was on one leg and we were missing Tomlinson, not to mention that Hunt probably would have been picked if he hadn’t rolled your ankle, but if you’re desperate to cling on to relevance I’m not going to question it

One thing I would add is Tomlinson would not have played if fully fit as Petty had been superb. They’d not have played both and Petty would have been given the nod. And Hunt was fit but didn’t make the team. They were I’m pretty sure 100% full strength with their selected team which is extraordinary. (Yes, I accept May wasn’t 100% fit but he was selected to play, and was fit enough to keep Naughton to 1 goal)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing I would add is Tomlinson would not have played if fully fit as Petty had been superb. They’d not have played both and Petty would have been given the nod. And Hunt was fit but didn’t make the team. They were I’m pretty sure 100% full strength with their selected team which is extraordinary. (Yes, I accept May wasn’t 100% fit but he was selected to play, and was fit enough to keep Naughton to 1 goal)

Petty has been superb, but tommo was and is absolutely our no. 2 KPD

Tomlinson and Petty will definitely play together next year. It will allow May to play as a loose defender and cut teams up.

Hunt played every game for us this year before injury. They can’t really bring him back for a GF after five to six weeks of no football inc VFL, can they

Melbourne could definetly do it, but its very hard to predict. No one at the start of the season was predicting Melbourne to dominate the comp like this in 2021. So whos to say another side no one sees coming does it in the next few years. The comp is extremely even. Now Melbourne should be the team to beat if they get to the top 4 now and play a great finals brand, but anything can happen.

Nah we are actually grateful that Dees fans are putting in the work to very quickly overtake us as most arrogant obnoxious fans in the league. Credit where credit is due - thought it would take until halfway through next year - but you’ve gone fu** it, let’s claim the title now.

Yeah, nah. I honestly thought I'd be long dead before I saw a worse bunch of winners than Hawthorn fans... but then Richmond appeared. And I say that as a supporter of a team who actually lost to Hawthorn in a GF.

Melbourne supporters have a long, long way to go to even be close to the obnoxiousness we've had to endure from Richmond fans during their reign. They might get there but I doubt it. I reckon only Carlton supporters could ever top the Richmond fans.

Port in 04 was meant to start a dynasty.

That's a really bad example. If anything they were desperate for a last chance win after 'choking' away their previous three years of H&A dominance.

I doubt there was a single AFL supporter thinking that was the start of a new dynasty.

Yeah, nah. I honestly thought I'd be long dead before I saw a worse bunch of winners than Hawthorn fans... but then Richmond appeared. And I say that as a supporter of a team who actually lost to Hawthorn in a GF.

Melbourne supporters have a long, long way to go to even be close to the obnoxiousness we've had to endure from Richmond fans during their reign. They might get there but I doubt it. I reckon only Carlton supporters could ever top the Richmond fans.
Guess we'll never know if Freo fans will be obnoxious or gracious winners.

I reckon only Carlton supporters could ever top the Richmond fans.
Yup, they're already intolerable and they've been a laughing stock for 20 years.

Thankfully, they're clearly a few decades away from that changing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve seen plenty of sides look well set up after a premiership, but never go on with it.

Who knows. Injury could hit, some players lose form. We could be sitting here in a couple of years time wondering how some of those role players ever won premierships. History is full of teams who get it right for a year, but can’t replicate to the same level.

No role player before and after has been luckier than...

drumroll please...

Castagna.

Seriously, flags cannot be won without role players. The stars rightly get all the kudos but the Richmond flags would not have happened without our role players. Same with the Dees this year. And so on.

As for dynasty, why not just enjoy this flag first before thinking of the next one. Savour it!!

I don't want to turn into Richmond. 2 premierships against sh*t teams + the COVID cup is nice, Dees can do much better IMO.

As for Richmond supporters, really good bunch I reckon- except the ones who pointlessly insert themselves into unrelated conversations, which pretty much sums up your contribution to the thread. "Geelong did 13 goals average home and away!"

Can you be any more arrogant and obnoxious?!

They're not easy to win, as 57 years avows, however, we also have to make the most of this list before the next window closes.

I don't see much of the Dogs' 2016 in this Melbourne team. Have a look at their personnel. On paper it was a very ordinary group. It was an incredible performance by Beveridge who confirmed this version is stronger.

Eight wins and 2 losses against top 8 sides also puts us well ahead of the Dogs of 2016, who managed 4 wins and 5 losses.

Call it bias, but I suspect some neutrals would agree that we arguably have three of the best five players in the game, at least three of the top 10, which puts us in very different company to 2016 Footscray.

It's true that teams that break a long drought don't tend to win the following year. They often get close, but can't quite pull it off. But we were told by plenty during the year that the team that finishes top probably won't win it either, because it hadn't been done since 2013. History is a guide, but little more.

That said, I'm happy to just enjoy this one for now.

I think the majority of us have kept a pretty level head. Obviously we've bloody enjoyed it but most of us are probably just as stunned as the rest of you that we did it in the fashion we did

Essendon 1993 & 2000 were both supposed to be the start of a dynasty, Bulldogs a few years ago were. No team except Gold Coast and GWS were supposed to be winning premierships right now and for the next ten years.

Melbourne had probably their best 22 playing in the GF (Tomilson maybe could push in, but I think Petty ended up as good or better). Not sure how many times in history that has happened. I can't see them having that sort of fortune again, especially with the loss of Darren Burgess.

For the first time in my lifetime I'm just looking forward to enjoying watching footy next year with no stress or pressure.
Essendon were juicing in 2000 and stopped for some reason following their GF win………………………….

Can you be any more arrogant and obnoxious?!
My sincere apologies, the poster I was responding to was right all along. Richmond supporters really are a bunch of arrogant, unlikeable *******.

I erred in defending them, and I will never do it again. Please forgive me.

They're not easy to win, as 57 years avows, however, we also have to make the most of this list before the next window closes.

I don't see much of the Dogs' 2016 in this Melbourne team. Have a look at their personnel. On paper it was a very ordinary group. It was an incredible performance by Beveridge who confirmed this version is stronger.

Eight wins and 2 losses against top 8 sides also puts us well ahead of the Dogs of 2016, who managed 4 wins and 5 losses.

Call it bias, but I suspect some neutrals would agree that we arguably have three of the best five players in the game, at least three of the top 10, which puts us in very different company to 2016 Footscray.

It's true that teams that break a long drought don't tend to win the following year. They often get close, but can't quite pull it off. But we were told by plenty during the year that the team that finishes top probably won't win it either, because it hadn't been done since 2013. History is a guide, but little more.

That said, I'm happy to just enjoy this one for now.

I would compare the 2016 Bulldogs to more the 2018 Demons. Both teams over achieved only difference is the dogs caught hot in September and snagged a gf, Melbourne were a good young team but no where near the best which was evident in the preliminary final. I think the Bulldogs still had remnants of the side that was competing in 2008-10 and since winning in 2016 those players have gone and they've had a list refresh. Their great young players are now at peak age (the bont was only 20 in 2016) and they have a good young group coming through. I think both Melbourne and Doggies will have a sustainable period of contending, probably the same for Port and Brisbane.

I think watching the dees in the grand final, one of the keys to them continuing to dominate like that will be Brown.

Could not fault him at all once he solidified his place in the side, but how he goes in the games where it’s not coming to him lace out will be a big factor in what they can do. I can barely remember a single kick forward that wasn’t to his or Fritsch’s advantage, it was amazing, but history tells us those performances don’t happen all that often. Any time Oliver and petracca catch fire like they did in the prelim and the GF, I can’t see a team going with them. What happens when they aren’t at that level will probably dictate just how dominant they become as a side and brown will be a major part of that

I think watching the dees in the grand final, one of the keys to them continuing to dominate like that will be Brown.

Could not fault him at all once he solidified his place in the side, but how he goes in the games where it’s not coming to him lace out will be a big factor in what they can do. I can barely remember a single kick forward that wasn’t to his or Fritsch’s advantage, it was amazing, but history tells us those performances don’t happen all that often. Any time Oliver and petracca catch fire like they did in the prelim and the GF, I can’t see a team going with them. What happens when they aren’t at that level will probably dictate just how dominant they become as a side and brown will be a major part of that
Yes you would certainly know about a side 'not going with them' speaking from experience with Cotch and Dusty destroying your mob in PreLims and GFs...

Yes you would certainly know about a side 'not going with them' speaking from experience with Cotch and Dusty destroying your mob in PreLims and GFs...

Whoa a Richmond fan giving it the biggin in a discussion with literally no relevance to them. Now I’ve seen it all.

No, I would know all aboit a side not going with Melbourne because they ****ed us without lube three weeks ago

I thought the 1980 team would win at least five in a row 😟

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Melbourne, the next dynasty club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back