List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May Live on afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Re the SA u18 v u20 game today
Full time
U18's 15.4
U20's 9.13

To my eye Ben Camporeale the best on, Charlie Nicholls the best forward. Draper much better today.
From a MSD view 194cm forward Beau Thomas impressive, strong overhead and if he'd brought his kicking boots could have easily kicked 5 or 6 goals, Kobe Ryan a typical in and under midfield game and for mine his kicking has certainly improved the last 2 years.

I wouldn’t be picking any of those guys. Systems at AFL/VFL level are all fairly similar - doesn’t take long to pick up the basics.
No offense, but the gap between those leagues is demonstrably large, and it takes time to build intuitive understanding of teammates.

How many MSD have debuted same year and had a big impact?

Marion Pickett had to wait until the GF to debut

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

No offense, but the gap between those leagues is demonstrably large, and it takes time to build intuitive understanding of teammates.

I don't know how many mid season draftees impact immrdiately but seasons 2025, 2026, 2027 start now

Jai Newcombe 2021 MSD. Debut round 13.
Jai Culley 2022 MSD. Debut round 18.

MP had a serious finger injury when drafted in the MSD IIRC - missed fair bit of footy (pretty remarkable effort).

Are we allowed to pick an Irish kid in the MSD for our main list, in order not to miss out on him at the end of season drafts?

We can select 2 at the MSD?

Can't use our CatB now, because it's full?
We can sign any Irish player right now straight to our Cat B list, there's no restriction and the Cat B list technically has an open slot (2/3).

At present, that's pre-signed to Duffy, but I'd imagine that's subject to his fitness on the back of another medical.

We can sign any Irish player right now straight to our Cat B list, there's no restriction and the Cat B list technically has an open slot (2/3).

At present, that's pre-signed to Duffy, but I'd imagine that's subject to his fitness on the back of another medical.
You’d think Duffy would have to be close to venturing down to MEL for his rehab, as I believe was to be the case. He’s into the 7th month since popping it.

He is nowhere near ready physically or mentally IMO. Away against the Swans I doubt he’d be able to contribute anything positive and would get exposed badly by the opposition.

I actually agree with Jimmae that our best bet is probably to swing Kemp forward to play the third forward role and play Marchbank down back.
Glad I'm not the only one. I was saying that when JSOS went down. Not that it would have mattered because of Marchbank's injuries.

I see Ryan & Frank Szekely were cut from the SANFL senior team to play WAFL. Kobe Ryan will play in the SA u20 team v the SA u18 team (ft. Campo x2).

Meanwhile Beecken made the senior team and I noticed at forward pocket they have 20yo Baynen Lowe.
Pommylovescarlton

Thanks mate, Big Fan of him, but im also liking Szekely, Taj Campbell-Farrell, Jack Hutchinson too! IF you had to pick someone attribute based i.e quick, decisive strong etc within the realms of plausibility (MSD and all) what you looking for? and everyone else

Thanks mate, Big Fan of him, but im also liking Szekely, Taj Campbell-Farrell, Jack Hutchinson too! IF you had to pick someone attribute based i.e quick, decisive strong etc within the realms of plausibility (MSD and all) what you looking for? and everyone else
For me it's having AFL attributes and being physically ready to go if needed. Players who can be a viable option later in the season if our injury issues continue.
Happy to pass on overlooked players from the last draft or two if they are no more AFL ready than the guys we have playing VFL already.

I think Luke Beecken might our best option if he gets past Adelaide. Also Trey Ruscoe unless WCE take him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a maximum of 2 Cat B players now. We have a full complement of 44 players on our list.

Duffy will be added when we (likely) delist Akuei at the end of the season.

I agree with using our reserves options. What about Michael Rudd? Reckon he would step up at AFL level. He is a classy left footer with elite running.

Kevin Sheahan rated him in as a top tall prospect in 2023 Draft.

Michael Rudd
State: Victoria Country
State League Club: Geelong Falcons
Community Club: St Mary’s
Date of Birth: 14/05/05
Height: 193cm

A left-footer who has an outstanding work rate and presents as a marking target with a vice-like grip overhead. He was a consistent performer all year for Geelong Falcons to earn selection in the Coates Talent League Team of the Year and also represented Victoria Country. Kicked 23 goals across all competitions this season and averaged 14 disposals and four marks across 16 games. His elite running capacity and competitiveness was highlighted with his 6:17 for the 2km time trial at the state Draft Combine.
Sounds like a much fitter version of Brad Pearce!

in my opinion we need to recruit another tall strong defender to help Weitering. McGovern, Kemp, Young, Marchbank can't handle a second tall. We need to stop teams from scoring and start controlling the game from our back half going forward.

Jacob Blight has to be given serious though in the mid-season draft

23yo
196cm
102kg

Excellent mark, good kick, not scared to execute a difficult kick, relatively mobile and agile for a big guy.
Could be a great inclusion to our backline as a second tall.

in my opinion we need to recruit another tall strong defender to help Weitering. McGovern, Kemp, Young, Marchbank can't handle a second tall. We need to stop teams from scoring and start controlling the game from our back half going forward.

Jacob Blight has to be given serious though in the mid-season draft

23yo
196cm
102kg

Excellent mark, good kick, not scared to execute a difficult kick, relatively mobile and agile for a big guy.
Could be a great inclusion to our backline as a second tall.

Harry’s brother in the off-season would have been ideal (if we had the coin)…

If it isn’t one of the obvious ones (Howes, McLachlan, Blight), would love George Grey on the list. Never plays a bad game, versatile, does the hard stuff.

Probably doesn’t hit a need as much as some of the other names available but he is one of the best chances at becoming an AFL contributor imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May Live on afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back