Milne investigated over taunt

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
massive difference....don't condone in anyway what happened to you, that's weak as piss by whoever did that to you...... but if you have never played sport under those circumstances then u wouldn't understand what happens

No, but I've ended up in hospital because a bunch of blokes thought that a bit of old fashion ****ta bashing was called for, so forgive me if I can be a little sensitive on the topic.

You need a huge teaspoon of cement. Back a cement mixer up and open your mouth.

This is absolutely ridiculous. This is not Milne contributing to commentary on what is socially acceptable.

Its a comment on a footy field. Clearly you have never played.... and never should.

Get over it.

You are missing the point.

If that comment was directed at me, I couldn't care less. If it is directed at someone else, I am not offended. I don't make a habit of getting offended on behalf of minorities either. Your predictable HTFU type comment is ignorant.

I have played football, another irrelevant thought.

In this day and age, if people still think that any type of insult is fine as long as it happens on the sporting field, they are missing how far things have evolved. If O'Brien isn't a 'homo', then there is no issue right? It's just a meaningless sledge. Let's go another way though, what if Milne turned around and called Heath Shaw a black campaigner. He's not though right? Would that be an acceptable sledge then? The point isn't whether somebody is or isn't. The point is that being gay or being black or being mentally disabled is often reduced to a crude insult, not just to those who it might be applicable to, but to others who it isn't applicable to, because the user thinks it is belittling.

In fact in this case, the fact that O'Brien didn't seem phased by the personal reference, suggests that he maybe he is enlightened enough that he doesn't see being a 'homo' as a bad thing, even if he isn't gay.

Milne also called O'Brien a ****head. I don't have a problem with it other than me forming a judgment that Milne is not exactly a classy individual. I'm just amazed in this day and age and with the vilification laws around, that players lack the ability to understand the issue.

In my job, we deal with discrimination and harassment issues amongst others, and although I have often thought it is PC gone mad in some situations, it is very clear that we have to choose our words carefully. I feel for some like Dipper for example, who did not use his words in a derogatory fashion. In fact he used it while expressing his affection for indigenous people he was working with, but while the context was not derogatory, the word was.

I'm sure most players abuse each other on the field. I have no issue with it. I'm not sure this type of sledge is used a lot though, as we should have been hearing something every week.

I have a Collingwood "fan" that sits behind me who constantly calls umpire maggots. I've lost count how many times I've asked him to shut up.

No, I don't agree with it and any Collingwood fans spurting that crap out should be ejected. It's not about the club you support, it's about general decency.
Paul.

Are you suggesting maggot is rhyming slang for ******? Don't think that's right.......

http://modernisms.tripod.com/group/id15.html

You are missing the point.

If that comment was directed at me, I couldn't care less. If it is directed at someone else, I am not offended. I don't make a habit of getting offended on behalf of minorities either. Your predictable HTFU type comment is ignorant.

I have played football, another irrelevant thought.

In this day and age, if people still think that any type of insult is fine as long as it happens on the sporting field, they are missing how far things have evolved. If O'Brien isn't a 'homo', then there is no issue right? It's just a meaningless sledge. Let's go another way though, what if Milne turned around and called Heath Shaw a black silly. He's not though right? Would that be an acceptable sledge then? The point isn't whether somebody is or isn't. The point is that being gay or being black or being mentally disabled is often reduced to a crude insult, not just to those who it might be applicable to, but to others who it isn't applicable to, because the user thinks it is belittling.

In fact in this case, the fact that O'Brien didn't seem phased by the personal reference, suggests that he maybe he is enlightened enough that he doesn't see being a 'homo' as a bad thing, even if he isn't gay.

Milne also called O'Brien a ****head. I don't have a problem with it other than me forming a judgment that Milne is not exactly a classy individual. I'm just amazed in this day and age and with the vilification laws around, that players lack the ability to understand the issue.

In my job, we deal with discrimination and harassment issues amongst others, and although I have often thought it is PC gone mad in some situations, it is very clear that we have to choose our words carefully. I feel for some like Dipper for example, who did not use his words in a derogatory fashion. In fact he used it while expressing his affection for indigenous people he was working with, but while the context was not derogatory, the word was.

I'm sure most players abuse each other on the field. I have no issue with it. I'm not sure this type of sledge is used a lot though, as we should have been hearing something every week.

Exactly.

You genuinely believe calling someone a hetero is equal to calling someone a homo?
Have you ever met a homosexual who's been called a hetero ? For the record, i haven't, but the rule says "sexual orientation".

I'd be interested to see if they would deal with it in the same way, or if they consider one sexual orientation more sensitive than another.

Paul.
Would you rather be around those who are smart or informed enough to be all "politically correct" and say "all the right things", while underneath have a heap of hatred towards you and mean you harm, or those who don't speak "politically correctly" and sometimes say things that aren't "PC", but who love you and don't mean you any harm?

I know which one I'd prefer.

Or a combination of loving you and not meaning you any harm and not using abusive language toward you would be even better still :)

I basically agree that it's over reaction to punish players for verbal abuse but sledging is just crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How ridiculous! It surely wouldn't offend O'Brien unless he actually is? Just laugh it off and call Milne a r@p15t while thanking him for the free/50 metres of course.

Just a random thought I had - what if a player called a white player a monkey? what about an albino?

Was O'Brien personally offended or did the umpire take exception to the comment, knowing the AFL's policy on it?

A monkey is usually an animal, so it would be a stretch to suggest that it intended to be a racial slur towards somebody the slur would not normally apply to. Homo in the vast majority of cases is a slur against a minority, used to diminish those that may or may not be gay. Unless you consider Milne has great respect for the gay community and was trying to pay O'Brien a compliment.

Just throwing it out there, but what would have happened if he'd called him a F*****g hetero ? Same has to apply I guess.

Has being hetero ever been considered a bad thing? Ever used as a slur? Ever been considered an abomination? Do hetero's sweat over telling their parents they are hetero? Anybody ever commit suicide because he was a hetero and was made to feel like a freak because of it?

I mean, I'm not strictly PC on all of these issues. If a black person calls a white person 'white bastard', 'snowflake', 'honky' etc, in my opinion they are using colour to put down a white person. That's racism for mine. In most cases the white person is not in a minority and their society doesn't think of being white as a lesser thing to be. It would be interesting how this applies in predominantly black countries though.

Calling O'Brien a hetero would have meant a thing in this situation though.

In this day and age, if people still think that any type of insult is fine as long as it happens on the sporting field, they are missing how far things have evolved. If O'Brien isn't a 'homo', then there is no issue right? It's just a meaningless sledge. Let's go another way though, what if Milne turned around and called Heath Shaw a black silly. He's not though right? Would that be an acceptable sledge then?

If Milne called Heath Shaw a Homo, this probably wouldn't of even been brought to light.

Milne had a whinge when MM and Licca had a crack said he was deeply hurt and both MM and Licca apologized

I never heard Milne having to apologize when he said his bit I still don't understand how he was the victim but gave as much as he copped

Don't whinge about it like you did Milney and then not expect to cop punishment when you give it out

Sledging and verbal abuse happens on the footy field. Calling someone homo these days usually isn't intended literally, especially from someone like Milne.

Why is this an issue?
Because some have an axe to grind, while others want everyone in society to act in the same way, lest someone who isn't all that strong takes offense to something, instead of just getting those ones who aren't that strong stronger, to the point where they won't be negatively affected by anything anyone else says. :thumbsu:

Really? You didn't get my point?

My point is it's not acceptable to call an ump a maggot. What Milne said is not acceptable. Simple.

I guess I didn't get your point - it's a generally derogative term, so are you saying we shouldn't abuse umps at all? I actually don't at matches but have a rant about them otherwise as many do......

If you disagree, no worries, was just wondering what you meant. I agree what Milne said is not acceptable but a bit rough to single him out over it.

Sledging and verbal abuse happens on the footy field. Calling someone homo these days usually isn't intended literally, especially from someone like Milne.

Why is this an issue?
Posters that call other posters ******ed don't intend it literally, yet BigFooty on a sitewide basis, remove the word. Why do you think that is?

Just to clarify, it's not as simple as "youre a homo" as an insult translating to homo = insult, therefore being gay = negative... The only reason people say homo, or **** is because it's imasculating. It takes away a mans masculinity because apparently being gay translates to that. When someone calls you a bitch, or a girl, or a pussy.. it's insulting because it imasculates you, not because being female = bad.

You're a bunch of panseys. (thats right, i said flowers are bad)

I love how a homosexual slur is the big issue out of the game, woeful umpiring all around, and how about the words gushing out of the collingwood cheersquad towards Milne.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous

margets is a joke...he needs to go and umpire netball

so he called him a homo...who cares. Milne cops abuse week in week out and he doesn't get any concessions and he doesn't moan about it.

well done to harry o for not commenting... as if any NORMAL bloke would

gee this game is becoming a joke

**** off margets...first you ruin the game now this

Don't whinge about it like you did Milney and then not expect to cop punishment when you give it out
Yeah, I'm sure he wasn't retaliating to anything O'Brien said or did during the match. :rolleyes: Just like he retaliated by throwing O'Brien to the ground AFTER O'Brien elbowed him in the head (which cost us a free kick because they only caught what Milne did in retaliation, not what O'Brien did to start it).

Just to clarify, it's not as simple as "youre a homo" as an insult translating to homo = insult, therefore being gay = negative... The only reason people say homo, or **** is because it's imasculating. It takes away a mans masculinity because apparently being gay translates to that. When someone calls you a bitch, or a girl, or a pussy.. it's insulting because it imasculates you, not because being female = bad.

Only if u interpret that way

sums it up pretty well

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous

margets is a joke...he needs to go and umpire netball

so he called him a homo...who cares. Milne cops abuse week in week out and he doesn't get any concessions and he doesn't moan about it.

well done to harry o for not commenting... as if any NORMAL bloke would

gee this game is becoming a joke

**** off margets...first you ruin the game now this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back