Mini-Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, the same Brodie Smith who was dropped for rounds 11, 12 and 13 due to poor form.

He had an ordinary regular season, followed by a great finals campaign. This was the opposite of Sam Shaw, who had a great regular season, but was with few competitors - save perhaps Petrenko and Callinan - the worst performer in our finals series. This much is cold, hard fact, and only the rose glasses idiot brigade could possibly remember otherwise.

Some of you people have a serious, serious issue when it comes to recognising poor form in young players.
The self appointed Board Wet Blanket strikes again

Not having watched the VFL I can't comment on how well he played there this year, but I sill say that the call he is more likely to play 10 AFL games than a SANFL reserves game is idiotic. Won't get near the AFL this year unless we lost about 4 other guys to injury.

I haven't watched a South Adelaide game since I was in primary school either, so I can't speak for their needs.
Well ok then... And the call is much less idiotic than commenting on a player you know absolutely nothing about, and claiming he will be playing SANFL reserves.

Rory Atkins to Sturt will allow him to play league football from round one or as soon as he is selected.

Did North Adelaide lose any key defenders? if they did, that may open up a spot for him to play very early into the season but the kid is still 2 good pre seasons away from being competitive as an AFL defender. Nothing of him, his is a rake.
North need players in pretty much every position, including KPD. If Atkins is up to it he'll play.

Hartigan will be valued at South - they are short of decent sized KPDs so Hartigan will certainly be a regular in the league team.

Players taken in the rookie draft are all superstars

I don't think anyone is saying that at this point in time, the rookie draft is another pathway that provides opportunity to players, some won't make it, some will end up being good players and as history shows some will end up being great players even AA

Bassett, Bock, Kirk, Brogan, Cox, M Boyd, Sewell, Priddis, Carrazzo, Rutten, Porplyzia, Platfull, J Jack, McGlynn, Firrito, Jarmar,Jolly, Maxwell, Lockyer, Milne, D Morris, Nicoski, A Davey, Rooke, Sandilands and H O'Brien are a few names that had little meaning to most people at the time of selection on to a clubs rookie list

Great result for the Eagles!

I was happy with it Jars. A mid-fielder who reminds me of Tony Antrobus of North Adelaide (I have a long memory :) ) and a defender. You'd think at worst both would play enough games to qualify for finals, but more likely to play more games than that..

I don't think anyone is saying that at this point in time, the rookie draft is another pathway that provides opportunity to players, some won't make it, some will end up being good players and as history shows some will end up being great players even AA

Bassett, Bock, Kirk, Brogan, Cox, M Boyd, Sewell, Priddis, Carrazzo, Rutten, Porplyzia, Platfull, J Jack, McGlynn, Firrito, Jarmar,Jolly, Maxwell, Lockyer, Milne, D Morris, Nicoski, A Davey, Rooke, Sandilands and H O'Brien are a few names that had little meaning to most people at the time of selection on to a clubs rookie list

Eventually, maybe. Still far, far more likely to be playing SANFL reserves than AFL this year - though to be fair, he is playing for South, and they're rubbish.

If Hartigan was AFL-ready and good enough now, he'd have gone in the first two rounds, like Harry Taylor.

Yes, the same Brodie Smith who was dropped for rounds 11, 12 and 13 due to poor form.

He had an ordinary regular season, followed by a great finals campaign. This was the opposite of Sam Shaw, who had a great regular season, but was with few competitors - save perhaps Petrenko and Callinan - the worst performer in our finals series. This much is cold, hard fact, and only the rose glasses idiot brigade could possibly remember otherwise.

Some of you people have a serious, serious issue when it comes to recognising poor form in young players.
Smith performed very well upon return from his stint at WWT, and was unlucky to be dropped in the first place given only a minor form slump. The idea he only performed well in the finals is absurd; he anchored our defence during Reilly, Martin and Doughty's flighty mid/late-season stints. And he wasn't dropped in Round 11 - we had a bye then, and probably wouldn't have been at all if not for Jaensch's only notable game of the season coming a fortnight earlier.

Watch the Essendon game so see some of his regular season heroics - he and Danger were the only guys to get close to playing four quarters.

Sam Shaw's poor form wasn't restricted to the finals series; he was pretty well invisible closing out the regular season. Lets hope he can build on his earlier form next year.

Why wouldn't the Panthers take Wines?
Wines should have been taken last. If fit he will be playing AFL.
The best picks for the SANFL clubs are players that are not expected to get much gametime in the AFL.

wrt Wines, the way it turned out, IMO it is a great pick up for Port (AFL) but not for the Port (SANFL).
wrt Neade. Great pick up for both Ports. Seriously underrated player on BF. As a minimum he will be a great long term SANFL player and with a bit of luck also at AFL level but will need a bit of time in the twos first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith performed very well upon return from his stint at WWT, and was unlucky to be dropped in the first place given only a minor form slump. The idea he only performed well in the finals is absurd; he anchored our defence during Reilly, Martin and Doughty's flighty mid/late-season stints. And he wasn't dropped in Round 11 - we had a bye then, and probably wouldn't have been at all if not for Jaensch's only notable game of the season coming a fortnight earlier.

Watch the Essendon game so see some of his regular season heroics - he and Danger were the only guys to get close to playing four quarters.

Sam Shaw's poor form wasn't restricted to the finals series; he was pretty well invisible closing out the regular season. Lets hope he can build on his earlier form next year.
I'd give Shaw a crack at half forward and Otten/Thompson the third man role in defence. It was only against GWS but he looked comfortable as a lead up forward. He's quick, tall and can mark. Surprised we didnt try it again.

******* hell! We might as well buy Sturt as our reserves side and make it official! just how many AFC listed players do they have now?

The answer is 10 Stiffy. :)

Found this on the AFC website:

Full list of SANFL club allegiances

Sturt: Richard Tambling, Brent Reilly, Josh Jenkins, Matt Jaensch, Sam Kerridge, Brodie Martin, Aidan Riley, Tim McIntyre, Angus Graham and Rory Atkins
West Adelaide: Brad Crouch, Ben Rutten, Patrick Dangerfield, Jason Porplyzia and Rory Laird
Port Adelaide: Scott Thompson and Graham Johncock
Woodville-West Torrens: Luke Thompson, Bernie Vince, Jared Petrenko, Sam Jacobs, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Brodie Smith and Nick Joyce
North Adelaide: Lewis Johnston, Rory Sloane, Matt Wright and Sam Siggins
South Adelaide: Nathan van Berlo, Daniel Talia, David Mackay, Andy Otten, Shaun McKernan, Ben Dowdell and Kyle Hartigan
Norwood: Taylor Walker, Luke Brown and Mitch Grigg
Glenelg: Richard Douglas, Tom Lynch, Jarryd Lyons, Sam Shaw and Tim Klaosen
Central District: Ian Callinan, Ricky Henderson, Dylan Orval and Jack Osborn

The answer is 10 Stiffy. :)

Found this on the AFC website:

Full list of SANFL club allegiances

Sturt: Richard Tambling, Brent Reilly, Josh Jenkins, Matt Jaensch, Sam Kerridge, Brodie Martin, Aidan Riley, Tim McIntyre, Angus Graham and Rory Atkins
West Adelaide: Brad Crouch, Ben Rutten, Patrick Dangerfield, Jason Porplyzia and Rory Laird
Port Adelaide: Scott Thompson and Graham Johncock
Woodville-West Torrens: Luke Thompson, Bernie Vince, Jared Petrenko, Sam Jacobs, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Brodie Smith and Nick Joyce
North Adelaide: Lewis Johnston, Rory Sloane, Matt Wright and Sam Siggins
South Adelaide: Nathan van Berlo, Daniel Talia, David Mackay, Andy Otten, Shaun McKernan, Ben Dowdell and Kyle Hartigan
Norwood: Taylor Walker, Luke Brown and Mitch Grigg
Glenelg: Richard Douglas, Tom Lynch, Jarryd Lyons, Sam Shaw and Tim Klaosen
Central District: Ian Callinan, Ricky Henderson, Dylan Orval and Jack Osborn

I did happen to wonder (last year before Tiprat left), with all of our players and the Power players returning back to their local league teams which one would have been the strongest.

Would be an interesting project.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back