NAB Cup Round 1 vs Geelong & Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually thought Ross was superb in close and along with Ledger won a majority of the clearances for us over the course of the night and I was very impressed with him, was sitting right behind the bench for the first game and seeing him and Lenny come off together and Ross wasn't that much smaller then Lenny.

Cripps added a great deal of speed in the back half and was quite prepared to take the game on which was also brilliant to watch.

To be honest I was somewhat disappointed with Winmar as I thought he could have hit the contest a little harder on a few occasions but then he finally put his body in the second half against Geelong so hopefully a little moment like that can be the turning point for him.

Was actually a great night to watch our kids play and I am very excited for the new season as I think we have a nice mix of youth and experience to choose from now.

Also is Shenton on the rookie list or the senior list?

yer, Walsh played( i didnt see him though).

According to http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/18551/Default.aspx#fixtureid=7869&tab=Stats :
Walsh played for 87% of game time, for 2 Clangers and 2 frees against.
So atm, it looks like we got a bargain as we got Draft picks 35 and 68 (Daniel Markworth, and Beau Wilkes)

Where's the good press?

Didn't we just beat the premiers?

All I'm seeing on the front page of a leading newspaper site is "SAINTS SLOPPY"

lol

Bit sad hey it seems non of the journos for the Herald like us :(

Also is Shenton on the rookie list or the senior list?
rookie list

Was it really worth writing articles about? Except for the first game where I thought we made sydney look good, the rest of the games with us and geelong were just scout spectacles. The heat n 2 interchange really hindered any chance of seeing a real pre-season match. Internally lots to like from geelongs and our point of view regarding youth.

Where's the good press?

Didn't we just beat the premiers?

All I'm seeing on the front page of a leading newspaper site is "SAINTS SLOPPY"

lol

we were cut to pieces in the first game

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, I had a quick look over the thread. But surely, Gram loses his spot this year. His disposal is horrid, he's selfish and the difference between his worst and his best is too much. It's too late in his career to improve his disposal and his decision making is terrible. With-out sounding too negative, I'd love to see a kid replace him in the line-up

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, I had a quick look over the thread. But surely, Gram loses his spot this year. His disposal is horrid, he's selfish and the difference between his worst and his best is too much. It's too late in his career to improve his disposal and his decision making is terrible. With-out sounding too negative, I'd love to see a kid replace him in the line-up
Nobody's losing anything after 40 minutes of a NAB Cup game. Gram wasn't nearly as bad as what you made him out to be, I actually don't think he was bad at all.

Nobody's losing anything after 40 minutes of a NAB Cup game. Gram wasn't nearly as bad as what you made him out to be, I actually don't think he was bad at all.
Just my opinion.. But I'm also referring to his previous season. We seem to forgive him when he stuffs up because we know his good is brilliant.. He did one good thing, which was the super-goal. The rest, I thought, was very poor

I think though with the youth finally in actual contention for senior 22 spots, we'll see a few older faces under some mighty pressure to retain. Especially those who struggle to spot up a target. As soon as we lost the ball, BOOM down the other end for a goal. Our skills kill..ed us last year.

I just don't understand how CJ cannot even execute a basic skill of the game he's been playing for 10+ years, or even get the mechanics anywhere near right. It blows my mind. Maybe we should be doing what Collingwood did with Luke Ball and always provide a handball option so he can give it off, cause he's excellent in close but really undoes it.

Yeah boom down the other end with the whole team busting guts running the wrong way for fear of getting dropped.

Not enough downhill skiiing was a big problem for us. Until Cripps stepped in and showed how it was done I had not seen it for a long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my opinion.. But I'm also referring to his previous season. We seem to forgive him when he stuffs up because we know his good is brilliant.. He did one good thing, which was the super-goal. The rest, I thought, was very poor
Last season he wasn't great but there were plenty of others that weren't either. Hopefully he goes back to a midfield role this year where he's a much more damaging player rather than a defensive role like last year.

I think Geary may be ahead of Gram at this stage. He is better defensively and can kick to a moving target. Gram can be brilliant. His run and carry with a deft sidestep can negate a defensive lineup - especially in combination with his booming kick. He can kick a brilliant goal but can't hit a team mate to save his life. Gram might be the ideal sub to bring on half way through the third Q and open up opportunities.

I think Geary may be ahead of Gram at this stage. He is better defensively and can kick to a moving target. Gram can be brilliant. His run and carry with a deft sidestep can negate a defensive lineup - especially in combination with his booming kick. He can kick a brilliant goal but can't hit a team mate to save his life. Gram might be the ideal sub to bring on half way through the third Q and open up opportunities.

Like the idea of gram as sub running of halfback and forward of centre.
Good to see him kick that 9 pointer.
I thought he was having groin problems the last couple of years cos he lost his run and long kicking. Hopefully he's fully fit and kick some more long bombs

Shenton off the rookie list could end up handy!
Thought old mate from thirsty merc was running round!!!

Gram is a shocking footballer.

For all intents and purposes he holds a Norm Smith, a shocking footballer he isn't. One which frustrates and refuses to deliver consistently, teasing or etc ala Tambling and for a time Wells sure, shocking, nope.

Great athlete and very brave but has never been a good decision maker.

Would not say brave in that sentence as he's shirked many a contest where if he went hard and copped punishment he'd have gotten the ball, applied the tackle or otherwise forced the contest and instead pulled out and squibbed it. This may be during his "bad hip" days but conversely you look at guys like Lenny & BJ and even gears to the extent after recos and it's night and day with how they play footy at its core.

His decision making has also been pretty good for a footballer, his problem is that his execution is what was lacking, ala "we're practicing Grammy's floating punts" indicate great decisions made let down by shit disposal in searching for that extra "oomph".

Now sure, I've been a critic of several things Gram's done (or not done) in a game, but how anyone can sit there and slag him off as a poor footballer is beyond me. Fiora was a poor footballer as he never applied himself to become one and simply "coasted" through any effort, Gram is not.

Gram is a shocking footballer.

Great athlete and very brave but has never been a good decision maker.
To say he's a shocking footballer is just plain wrong. He's actually a good kick when he isn't trying to bomb it 80 metres, and like I said before a move back into the midfield will do wonders for his game because that's where he plays his best footy. Cripps coming in to play the running half back role should allow that move.

To say he's a shocking footballer is just plain wrong. He's actually a good kick when he isn't trying to bomb it 80 metres, and like I said before a move back into the midfield will do wonders for his game because that's where he plays his best footy. Cripps coming in to play the running half back role should allow that move.
There's noone in our midfield that Gram could push out of the side, if Cripps comes in to play off the HBF.

There's noone in our midfield that Gram could push out of the side, if Cripps comes in to play off the HBF.
Off the top of my head I can think of CJ and maybe even Ray who you barely notice out there.

Isn't it nice to argue about the competition for spots. :D

"shocking"

I didn't mean that as "poor" or "bad"

I mean it as he's good but just does stupid shit in the exact times we need composure. Many times he's just thrown it on the boot for a turnover and dished off a sloppy handball that's not hit the target.

I would like to see grams kicking efficiency for goal outside of 50. I can remember him taking a lot of shots last season but not hitting many. I think his kicking may be over rated but I think his easy style may make him look more lax than hs is.

I agree that CJ was ordinary and he along with the likes of Peake and Polo will really struggle for a spot against the fast improving youth.

Ledger is ready to be a regular player; seems like a mix of Lenny's manic attack on the ball and Joey's speed and disposal. Should be handy this year, seriously good next year.

Cripps has bulked up heaps in his time in the gym and will benefit hugely from it. Looked very natural gathering and running from half back. Should play at least 10 games this year.

Stanley has also finally got the physique of an AFL player and for the first time played with a bit of confidence. I'm not sure how he fits in the team along with Kosi but looks like he is finally ready to show why the coaches have rated him so highly.

Saad fit straight in and looks like a very handy pickup. Great pressure, lightning quick and good around the goals. Could become Milney's main accomplice which allows Schneider to use his excellent kicking to advantage further up the ground.

Winmar showed the first signs of becoming a senior player. Has put on a fair bit of weight and showed attack on the ball that just hasn't been there previously. Has always been a great kick and would be a massive bonus if he could continue his improvement.

Wilkes struggled in the backline with his opponent getting space too easily. Was unlucky not to snag a goal in the second game but will need to show more if he is to get a gig in round one.

Siposs also looks much stronger and fitter. Did some handy things in the midfield but in the H&A season I'd rather see him stay closer to goal. You don't waste such a natural forward up the ground. He did however show much improved intensity in the midfield.

Simpkin was much better in defence than Wilkes and has probably earnt himself a spot in round 1. Defensive skills have improved and looked much more composed with the ball.

Milera kicked a great goal but we didn't see enough to make a call. Looks very, very skinny for a 24 year old.

Ross did some handy things but is a fair way of AFL footy. Not a knock on the kid at all, just needs time.

A rough guess at a round one team just on the signs from the pre season and last night:

B: Gilbert, Simpkin, Dempster
HB: Fisher, Blake, Gram
C: Ledger, Steven, Goddard
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Siposs
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Saad

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Montagna
Int: Armitage, Hayes, Stanley
Sub: Cripps

Fringe: Ray, Wilkes, Geary, Peake, Winmar, Jones, Polo

I like this a lot, but I dont like having a tall on the bench.
I'd go Stanley out, Cripps in, Jones sub. ( Geary and Ray in the mix too).

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup Round 1 vs Geelong & Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back