NAB Cup Round 1 vs Geelong & Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel a lot better after that performance, we looked a lot better in defence with Simpkin and Blake down there.

Wilkes looked better as a swingman between forward and defence, much better forward though.

The thought of Milne, Schneider, Saad and Milera all lurking around midfield and pushing forward is salivating, all have speed and goal scoring potential.

Ledger and Cripps continue to look all class and should be best 22. Winmar, Ross and Shenton showed some good signs too.

Who says St Kilda has no good youth? There's a lot to be excited about after tonight.

Quite impressed with Watters coaching performance tonight too, he made all the changes I wanted to see in that 2nd game and I loved our intensity. We rectified a lot of our faults from the 1st game so credit has to be given to the coaching staff .
THIS, it was great to see that Watters is able to switch around the game plan.

Only real negative tonight was Goddard, he didn't do a lot and looked a bit sulky at times.

I know it's probably just due to his frustration at not performing better but as a leader he needs to be better than that. Doesn't set a good example to the younger guys.

He still seems to be stuck in that rut from last year where he doesn't look to be enjoying his football. No doubt he is copping a lot of attention from the opposition now but he just doesn't look to be the same player of 2009/10.

Only early days though so hopefully he should come good. He got better as the season went on last year.

This probably isn't going to go down well but I think CJ is going to struggle for a spot this year. The role of a completely negative tagger is gone IMO and with Watters being an assistant coach at Collingwood who had no taggers but rather focused on team defense I don't see a spot for him. His kicking is diabolical and it's not just when he kicks it, often when he doesn't kick it because he knows he has no chance of hitting the target is just as costly as turning it over.

With all the young guys pushing for spots I can't see CJ keeping his.

one thing is for sure, forget pinpointing Riewoldt and Kosi 45m out. One mistake and Sydney were down the other end.

instead bomb it to 25m out and watch the crumbers wreak havoc :thumbsu: added bonus of defenders next kick heading out wide.

Siposs, Stanley, Saad & Cripps all booked round 1 spots. Ledger and Simpkin not miles away.

This probably isn't going to go down well but I think CJ is going to struggle for a spot this year. The role of a completely negative tagger is gone IMO and with Watters being an assistant coach at Collingwood who had no taggers but rather focused on team defense I don't see a spot for him. His kicking is diabolical and it's not just when he kicks it, often when he doesn't kick it because he knows he has no chance of hitting the target is just as costly as turning it over.

There are many good things to be said about the way he plays
but he must be the worst kick, under pressure, than any other player I've ever seen. He undoes all his good work winning the ball.

I missed most of the first game but I was really pleased with all the young untried players in the second. Ledger was a standout.

one thing is for sure, forget pinpointing Riewoldt and Kosi 45m out. One mistake and Sydney were down the other end.

instead bomb it to 25m out and watch the crumbers wreak havoc :thumbsu: added bonus of defenders next kick heading out wide.

IMO, it's where the game is unfortunately heading, that the midfield or the rebound is effectively trained and orchestrated to avoid the flanks if at all possible, since if you through the "true" positions there you get carved up on the rebound and are immediately out of position. It's a half throwback to another era with a stay at home forward from the 0-15m mark and then playing the 75-55 & 35-25 "spots" unless the flanks are barren. As the rebound from the 35-25 is around the 75-55 and with the zone you have several individuals from your own flank up, with the wingers and midfielders who can kick it straight back and then some to still be in attacking section of the ground.

I don't think so, the only major omissions I can think of are Selwood and Pods.

:eek:

Scarlett, Kelly, Johnson, Chapman, Hawkins, Varcoe, Corey, Enright.

Re: CJ
I know exactly where you're coming from - his disposal has always been his weakness. In his favour is the huge number of hard ball gets, clearances and the chase and tackle side of his game.

Of the kids:
Simpkin was great, Cripps is a lock, Ledger will play 10+ matches, Siposs should play 15 matches, I liked the game of Milera, Seb Ross should play 5 - 10 matches and Saad looks a likely lad. I was also impressed with Winmar. Shenton needs another preseason under his belt but he looks like he may be the goods too.

Looking back to the first match, Steven was great, Geary put his hand up, Ledger, Saad and Stanley did OK. Kosi was good. Lenny got through without incident.

All in all quite happy seeing our kids get a run and seeing some potential there

:eek:

Scarlett, Kelly, Johnson, Chapman, Hawkins, Varcoe, Corey, Enright.

Menzel and Christensen as well, although not major names.

Was at the game tonight with a Saints mate, and as with any non- Carlton game, was going for you blokes.

Thought Cripps looked very good in the second game seemingly across half back, as did Saad in both games (great seeing the former Bullant in an AFL jumper). Simpkin, Ledger and Siposs also showed good signs in their respective positions, as did Stanley who showed promise. Not sure of what you guys think, but all 6 seem to be on track for Round 1 (Stanley may be the exemption but would be very close if not). Ross was also impressive, especially in close. Around 4 clearances in the Geelong game I think, looks a gem (tentative I know). For the time he was on, that Shenton (number 39 I think) also looked impressive, but I suppose he did have the fresh legs as sub when both teams were tiring.

BJ seemed to be more comfortable across the back line, but Fisher and Simpkin in my opinion had the KPB posts taken. Thought pre-match he could be used in the forward 50 to release Roo from some pressure, but it would probably be too top-heavy with Roo, Kosi and Stanley plus BJ. Not sure of your views, but what's the consensus about where BJ will play? A man that good can play anywhere, but there's the risk of taking away from a certain area due to his ability all over the ground.

I may have missed him, but did Crocker play? Was looking forward to seeing him and thought he was named, but I didn't see him. Where's he at?

Steven seemed to continue from where he left off last year, was quite impressive IMO. Jones and Peake also provided good run although as has been an apparent habit with them, disposal let them down. Milne was also impressive, and from memory kicked the first goal of the game against Geelong... Really should put money on that.

It was great seeing Lenny out there doing his thing too. Add NDS and Joey as well as BJ and some other youth capable of spells in there (Cripps, Ross, maybe even Siposs) into the midfield and you have one which will rival if not exceed the best in the competition.

The goals in game 1 seemed to leak too easily in my view, with Sydney penetrating your zone seemingly too easily. May have been reflective of Sydney's game though, as the goals clearly eased up in the Geelong game, without Fisher (I think, can't remember :eek: ).

Looking forward to see how you go this year, always had a massive soft spot for the Saints. A full team with players such as Cripps, Siposs and the like (who I really enjoy watching) can and probably will go a long way. Good luck for the rest of the season, and smash those Bombers next week ;).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are many good things to be said about the way he plays
but he must be the worst kick, under pressure, than any other player I've ever seen. He undoes all his good work winning the ball.

I missed most of the first game but I was really pleased with all the young untried players in the second. Ledger was a standout.
He also has a tendency of when he wins the ball inside he just bombs it forward rather than trying to find someone with a quick handball and once again it ends up in the oppositions hands.

That's actually what I find most impressive about guys like Cripps, Ledger, Siposs etc. They're not just quick, they hit targets out there. Ledger had no business finding Ray and giving him a shot on goal in the first half of the second match but he squeezed it in there.

I still reckon CJ is underrated and worth his spot in our best 22, his workrate around the ball and defensive ability is second to none. His disposal isn't great but he still gets the ball forward in tough situations and can get it out to better users of the ball. You could see the difference when he was there in the 2nd game, he is a terrier and is always in the opposition's face.

Siposs, Stanley, Saad & Cripps all booked round 1 spots. Ledger and Simpkin not miles away.

The other way around for me, I reckon Ledger and Simpkin have booked their spots with the others on the fringe.

All of them were impressive though and have put pressure on our senior players which is what you want.

I felt like in the first game, they were trying to bomb it to 25m out and it was not working?

Then in the second game, probably due to the fact Kosi and Roo were rested, they were more willing to have a ping at the goals.

Much more dangerous.

Also more of a tendency to kick it very deep in the pockets in game 2, Collingwood like, and going to take some good kicks to make that effective.

He also has a tendency of when he wins the ball inside he just bombs it forward rather than trying to find someone with a quick handball and once again it ends up in the oppositions hands.

That's actually what I find most impressive about guys like Cripps, Ledger, Siposs etc. They're not just quick, they hit targets out there. Ledger had no business finding Ray and giving him a shot on goal in the first half of the second match but he squeezed it in there.
CJ is not the only one that bombs away, Gram is pretty good at it too.

Ledger's kick to Ray, if it's the one I'm thinking of, was just brilliant plus there were 2 other 45-50m passes he made that were just as accurate.

I hardy saw any of the first game & none of the game between Swans & Cats... How did Tommy Walsh go? Stats say 1 kick & 1 handball & gave away 1 free kick. Did he look like a dud? Should we be not sorry to lose him?

I agree that CJ was ordinary and he along with the likes of Peake and Polo will really struggle for a spot against the fast improving youth.

Ledger is ready to be a regular player; seems like a mix of Lenny's manic attack on the ball and Joey's speed and disposal. Should be handy this year, seriously good next year.

Cripps has bulked up heaps in his time in the gym and will benefit hugely from it. Looked very natural gathering and running from half back. Should play at least 10 games this year.

Stanley has also finally got the physique of an AFL player and for the first time played with a bit of confidence. I'm not sure how he fits in the team along with Kosi but looks like he is finally ready to show why the coaches have rated him so highly.

Saad fit straight in and looks like a very handy pickup. Great pressure, lightning quick and good around the goals. Could become Milney's main accomplice which allows Schneider to use his excellent kicking to advantage further up the ground.

Winmar showed the first signs of becoming a senior player. Has put on a fair bit of weight and showed attack on the ball that just hasn't been there previously. Has always been a great kick and would be a massive bonus if he could continue his improvement.

Wilkes struggled in the backline with his opponent getting space too easily. Was unlucky not to snag a goal in the second game but will need to show more if he is to get a gig in round one.

Siposs also looks much stronger and fitter. Did some handy things in the midfield but in the H&A season I'd rather see him stay closer to goal. You don't waste such a natural forward up the ground. He did however show much improved intensity in the midfield.

Simpkin was much better in defence than Wilkes and has probably earnt himself a spot in round 1. Defensive skills have improved and looked much more composed with the ball.

Milera kicked a great goal but we didn't see enough to make a call. Looks very, very skinny for a 24 year old.

Ross did some handy things but is a fair way of AFL footy. Not a knock on the kid at all, just needs time.

A rough guess at a round one team just on the signs from the pre season and last night:

B: Gilbert, Simpkin, Dempster
HB: Fisher, Blake, Gram
C: Ledger, Steven, Goddard
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Siposs
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Saad

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Montagna
Int: Armitage, Hayes, Stanley
Sub: Cripps

Fringe: Ray, Wilkes, Geary, Peake, Winmar, Jones, Polo

I thought most of our younger players showed outstanding resilience, to play in 35 degree heat with only 2 players on the bench, which is ridiculous, showed real endurance and fitness. Guys like Cripps, Saad, Ledger, Stanley amd Simpkin were super impressive with only a hand full of games between them. IMO Sipposs in the 2nd was a real stand out, playing in a different role, his poise and running disposal around the back half was a real surprise. Did anyone else look at him and think, wow, is that Sipposs? or is that Stephen Hill?
We have to get a decent amount of games into these kids to properly develop them. How do we get games into Sipposs, Cripps, Saad, Ledger, Stanley, Simpklin and possibly a few others with out unbalancing the team too much. If I had my way I'd try and get as much as 20 games experience into them this year. Its the only way to fast track their development.

Round 1 Team: I tried to do it but I just couldn't fit them all in. What a headache Watters is going to have come Round 1. Good headache to have though.

Re: CJ
I know exactly where you're coming from - his disposal has always been his weakness. In his favour is the huge number of hard ball gets, clearances and the chase and tackle side of his game.

Of the kids:
Simpkin was great, Cripps is a lock, Ledger will play 10+ matches, Siposs should play 15 matches, I liked the game of Milera, Seb Ross should play 5 - 10 matches and Saad looks a likely lad. I was also impressed with Winmar. Shenton needs another preseason under his belt but he looks like he may be the goods too.

Looking back to the first match, Steven was great, Geary put his hand up, Ledger, Saad and Stanley did OK. Kosi was good. Lenny got through without incident.

All in all quite happy seeing our kids get a run and seeing some potential there

IMO Tom Simpkin has the full back position sewn up, not surprised given his form at Sandy in last couple years. Wilkes is next to useless down there. Doesnt spoil when its best play, just goes for marks all the time. Said it before why recruit guy that averaged 4.5 goals a game in last 10 matches and not play him up front!!

Ledger, Cripps, Saad, Simpkin all in team Round 1. Wilkes might depend on Blake's form. Stanley showed some OK signs, still not sure Roo, Kosi & Stanley up forward will scare the opposition at all.

Oh and i forgot Milera, has pace and doesnt give up. Looks like he;ll play fair few games aswell this year...

went down last night, took my young bloke along to for his first AFL experience

i thought most of our kids looked really good

Ledger was great, Saad and Millera both look like good pickups

Simpkin did some really good things, Cripps was good also and Sipposs

Seb Ross did some nice things too

Didnt really notice winmar out there

Stanley looks like he might finally have figured it out *fingers crossed*

Will post some photos later on

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup Round 1 vs Geelong & Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back