National Draft - Luke Ball

Remove this Banner Ad

St.Kilda were paying $600,000. I'm sure Collingwood's offer was $500,000 over three years.I haven't suggested that Collingwood would pay overs. I think Collingwood will pay $1,500,000 over three years, and my previous post has stated that. It would have to be in a front-loaded contract though, so that he can get to Collingwood, and then it would have to be re-negotiated as I explained, and that is permitted under the rules, so it is not draft tampering.Who thinks that? I believe he will play until he is about 30.I'm not too concerned with pick #30 this year because the club were prepared to part with that and more for him, and if he enters the national draft, then it will tell other clubs that he is only interested in playing for Collingwood. I also don't think that Collingwood will pay overs for him, but a high figure will have to be placed on his head so that he can get to Collingwood.If Ball wants to play for Collingwood, and therefore places a figure of even $800,000-$1,000,000 on his head, then no other club will pick him. The contract can then be re-negotiated once he has been selected as I had explained in my previous post. Collingwood has the salary cap room to do that, and it will total $1,500,000 over three years which is fair for Luke Ball.

ive heard even a few saints fans say he plays with pain every week, to me his career looks to be going down hill just like woewofulls was, look at ball in his prime and he was a much better player then he is now, whos to say he wont slip further in the next year or so. ?

ive heard even a few saints fans say he plays with pain every week, to me his career looks to be going down hill just like woewofulls was, look at ball in his prime and he was a much better player then he is now, whos to say he wont slip further in the next year or so. ?
I still believe that about $1,500,000 is fair over three years, and I hope that Collingwood can get him for that. I also believe that it is the reason that Collingwood's offer of a trade was fair and that St.Kilda were completely unreasonable.

Do you expect Melb to take him with any of their selection in picks 1,2,11 or 18?

Because I certainly don't.

If they do, they should have just offered up a trade to the Saints during trade week.

Also, clubs will not draft a player they know does not want to be there. With an inflated price tag in the vicinity of $1m for the first yr, you could almost bet all other 15 clubs will baulk at that and let him get through IMO.

Fact is, he isn't worth that price tag and all the clubs know it. Melb would be foolish to pay him that sum of money, knowing he does not want to be there.

Our chances just went up a little with Melbourne confirming they won't be using any of their first 4 draft picks.

IF he nominated for ND than I think Essendon are the biggest worry.

Our chances just went up a little with Melbourne confirming they won't be using any of their first 4 draft picks.

Source?

And yeah, it's hard to imagine Ball being passed up by Essendon, unless they actually respect that he doesn't want to play there.

Don't think anyone will go anywhere near him with an inflated price.

Essendon also owe us one really for overlooking Scott Camporeale in the PSD a few years ago so he could get to Essendon.

If Luke really wants to, he will be a magpie IMO, irrespective of whatever leadership offers he receives from Melb.

Would rather attempt and aim for success than be a C/VC in a rebuilding football club.

Just a quick question what do you guys think we would be willing to pay Luke Ball? im guessing between 400-500k a year for 3 years, so how many teams do you think would be willing to pay him that amount?

pies are in the box seat if they want ball. melbourne have indicated they are not going to use any of their 1st 4 picks, so it seems very likely that he will be avail at pick 30 if the pies want him badly enough

it seems to be being spruiked on here that you can re-negotiate contractual terms with a player who has nominated a price prior to entering the draft. that is not the case. if ball places a price tag of $500,000 on his head and the pies select him then the contract submitted to the afl for year 1 must be for that sum. it cannot be renegotiated. it does not mean however that he must be paid that amount for future years - they are open to negotiation once he is selected and terms are discussed. eg he could price himself at $600,000 for year to scare other clubs off and then sign a cotrnact for $300,000 for each of years 2&3 therefore menaing a total of 1.2 mil over 3 years which is more than reasonable depsite the hefty 1st year tag

pies are in the box seat if they want ball. melbourne have indicated they are not going to use any of their 1st 4 picks, so it seems very likely that he will be avail at pick 30 if the pies want him badly enough
Providing he still wants to play for Collingwood badly enough, which I'm sure he does. St.Kilda were responsible for him not getting to Collingwood, and I'm sure he understands that.
it seems to be being spruiked on here that you can re-negotiate contractual terms with a player who has nominated a price prior to entering the draft. that is not the case.
That's not right. He can do that, but not for the first year.
if ball places a price tag of $500,000 on his head and the pies select him then the contract submitted to the afl for year 1 must be for that sum.i t cannot be renegotiated.
Yes, that's right. The figure must be paid in the first year if Ball agrees to re-negotiate the terms after he is selected. If he still wants to get to Collingwood only, then he can request a salary of $800,000-$1,000,000 to put off other clubs. That would have to be paid in each of the first two years. No team is going to pick him with that price on his head because it is well above his value, so he slides through to Collingwood, which is the only team that has shown fair dinkum interest in him, and the only club that has made an effort to get him.

Once Collingwood picks him up, then his contract can be re-negotiated if he agrees to that, which he will in this instance because it's the club he wants to play for. He will then have to receive the $800,000-$1,000,000 in the first year, and a total of $500,000-$700,000 over the following two seasons, which would add up to about $1,500,000 over three years. Or something like that. Collingwood can afford that, and they can fit it in their salary cap as well.

His chances just increased if he wants to still get to Collingwood by Melbourne ruling out their first 4 selection in the National Draft.

It is now a simple equation for Luke.

If he nominates PSD- it is Melbourne.

If he nominates National Draft- it is in hope of getting to Collingwood.

His chances just increased if he wants to still get to Collingwood by Melbourne ruling out their first 4 selection in the National Draft.

It is now a simple equation for Luke.

If he nominates PSD- it is Melbourne.

If he nominates National Draft- it is in hope of getting to Collingwood.
Not necessarily. Collingwood and Luke Ball may get together and decide to put a certain figure on his head to put off Melbourne in the pre-season draft so that they can also pick up a player with pick #30 in the national draft. It is more likely that he will nominate for the national draft if he wants to get to Collingwood, but it doesn't mean that he won't get to Collingwood in the pre-season draft though, and I don't know which draft that Collingwood would prefer him to enter because there are still risks in both. I think their preference will be the national draft though.

Not necessarily. Collingwood and Luke Ball may get together and decide to put a certain figure on his head to put off Melbourne in the pre-season draft so that they can also pick up a player with pick #30 in the national draft. It is more likely that he will nominate for the national draft if he wants to get to Collingwood, but it doesn't mean that he won't get to Collingwood in the pre-season draft though, and I don't know which draft that Collingwood would prefer him to enter because there are still risks in both. I think their preference will be the national draft though.

Far too risky to opt for the PSD IMO.

If we really want him, it's National Draft or nothing.

If we were prepared to trade pick 30+Wellingham/Goldsack, it would be stupid to not tell him to enter the draft and take him there.

If we get into his ear and tell him to opt for the PSD so we can take a kid at 30 and promise to take Luke in the PSD we would be getting too clever by half IMO. We will end up "burning" him this time round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine that. That would be a fantastic way for Ball and Collingwood to give a big f**k you to St.Kilda. They'd get nothing, and we'd gain ball without losing a player. Let's all hope it happens.

I doubt he'd want to play for Melbourne. I don't see why he would want to play for a developing club such as Melbourne who are years off being properly competetive.

Still like our chances of getting him, and we keep Wellingham which is also good as is a handy player with room for improvement bit more muscle on him and he would be very good goes hard at it just gets brushed aside on tackles sometimes to easily

St.Kilda were paying $600,000. I'm sure Collingwood's offer was $500,000 over three years.

They WERE paying him $600k, but their 3 year deal was rumoured to be less than half that - which reflects his current value. Now that they have taken that deal off the table, its probably even less than that again.

He's worth in the order of ~$300k P.A at best.

They WERE paying him $600k, but their 3 year deal was rumoured to be less than half that - which reflects his current value. Now that they have taken that deal off the table, its probably even less than that again.

He's worth in the order of ~$300k P.A at best.

Fair call.

Which is why if we really want him we need to inflate his price so he can enter the National Draft in the hope of getting to pick 30 and being overlooked by the other clubs.

If worse comes to worse the club that takes him need to have the cap space and pay him on an inflated price for the next 2 seasons minimum, well over his real worth.

It seems simple to me - it is pick 30 in the ND or nothing for us to get Ball.

There are potential loopholes that could border on draft tampering, but I don't think the club or player will even consider it.

You are probably right, KissStephanie, but I can't see it happening.

if the reports were true earlier in the year of us paying rocca 600k a year then we should have plenty of room in the cap and i would be more then happy to pay him 800k for 2010 and then something around 400ish for 2011 which i think he is worth. but to scare off other clubs more then happy to pay him 800k........
just think about it as we are paying 400k to keep pick 30 and wellingham/goldsack.
i hope we get him at pick 30 soooooo bad! it would be a massive get #$%#ed to st kilda!
essendon with pick 24 and 26 is a worry tho. and north melbourne but u would think they would take a kid. essendon tho finished 8th and could do with luke ball as much as we could use him

if the reports were true earlier in the year of us paying rocca 600k a year then we should have plenty of room in the cap and i would be more then happy to pay him 800k for 2010 and then something around 400ish for 2011 which i think he is worth. but to scare off other clubs more then happy to pay him 800k........
just think about it as we are paying 400k to keep pick 30 and wellingham/goldsack.
i hope we get him at pick 30 soooooo bad! it would be a massive get #$%#ed to st kilda!
essendon with pick 24 and 26 is a worry tho. and north melbourne but u would think they would take a kid. essendon tho finished 8th and could do with luke ball as much as we could use him

But we wouldn't be keeping pick 30 - we would be using it to get Luke Ball. It is the same as trading it for him.

This talk of paying Ball $600k a year is ludicrous!

He is not and never was worth that sort of money. I have no idea why he was on such a great contract at the Saints.

I figure he is worth in the vicinity of $300k a year, maybe $350k if you have to have him.

This talk of paying Ball $600k a year is ludicrous!

He is not and never was worth that sort of money. I have no idea why he was on such a great contract at the Saints.

I figure he is worth in the vicinity of $300k a year, maybe $350k if you have to have him.
yeah i agree, i doubt very very much we"ll be telling him to nominate 800k or so, he just isnt worth that and with 3/4 yrs left no matter how much we reduce his wage after 2 yrs we wouldnt get anywhere near what we"d call value, in money terms anyway, id rather we sured up some of our own players with the extra cash, so IMO we need to ask him to nominate for the ND with a price tag of 500/600k, no more, if we get him we get him and if we do he"ll be on minimum payments after the 2 yrs is up, depending on form of coarse.

Remove this Banner Ad

National Draft - Luke Ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back