National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Veszpremi will need a much bigger tank to play in the midfield. Needs to work on aerobic capacity HEAPS and it'd take a few years before he will have a big enough tank to play there. It seems we are looking for that utlity type player again. What a suprise.... we love them. I really hope we use our first pick for a genuine midfielder- not a jack of all trades type of guy where he can fill all the roles on the ground, is athletic but doesn't have the class, poise to play in the midfield. We need a good footy brain in the somewhere.
Are you basing this on that 11 something beep he ran in the pre-season when most players are unfit? His endurance is a weakness, but it's not as bad as that! By the end of the season he was looking pretty good and running out games much better.

It's a pity he was injured for Draft Camp because I would've liked to have seen his result in the beep test now. Mind you, his 20m sprint would have everyone forgetting about his beep test. ;)

Any chance of Masten falling to pick 10?

If he and Ebert were there at 10....man what a decision...
With Ebert there's an outside chance. I just can't see it happening with Masten. If they are BOTH there I have no idea what the **** everyone is doing!

thoughts on adam maric at 10? if rioli is gone?

All reports ive read up on maric sound really positive, however apart from rioli you could put a few who might get the clubs attention if they slip ie ebert palmer masten, some of these i doubt will be around come pick ten but you never know.:D Too early too speculate hey?

I spoke to a family member of Cyril Rioli's tonight (not going 2 name him here), and I just couldn't help myself... He confirmed that Adelaide had spoken to/shown great interest in young Cyril :thumbsu: :D

He said its just a matter of the chips falling in the right place ie. draft selections going our way and young Cyril would be on his way :) He also said the boy was a great talent (and this bloke has seen/played plenty of footy), not to mention being a really good kid too :thumbsu:

At what stage in the Draft remains to be seen, maybe we will surprise a few!

I spoke to a family member of Cyril Rioli's tonight (not going 2 name him here), and I just couldn't help myself... He confirmed that Adelaide had spoken to/shown great interest in young Cyril :thumbsu: :D

He said its just a matter of the chips falling in the right place ie. draft selections going our way and young Cyril would be on his way :) He also said the boy was a great talent (and this bloke has seen/played plenty of footy), not to mention being a really good kid too :thumbsu:

If the chips don't fall our way and all that has been mentioned as preferred options are gone, I would like to take a chance on either Maric or Selwood at pick 10.
Both sound like what we need but it's what the club thinks not what posters hope or think.

Not surprised that we have spoken to him but it would be interesting to see who we pick if both Ebert and Rioli are available at our pick. One is a tough inside midfielder that Triggy said we are in need of and the other is a quick midfielder/small forward which we are also in need of.

I get the feeling that we won't get to make that decision because one of them, if not both, could already be gone.

If the chips don't fall our way and all that has been mentioned as preferred options are gone, I would like to take a chance on either Maric or Selwood at pick 10.
Both sound like what we need but it's what the club thinks not what posters hope or think.
Say no to Selwood at Pick 10! He will be a good, average player that provides nothing remarkable - much more like his brothers who aren't named Joel. Good player, but we could do much better with Pick 10. I'd wait for 27 to see if Maric is still around really. He'd be a risk at Pick 10 and it'd probably be one of the biggest surprises of the draft if he went that early. It would end up being stroke of genius or yet another absolute bust because as I've said before, there'll be no in between with Maric.

Not surprised that we have spoken to him but it would be interesting to see who we pick if both Ebert and Rioli are available at our pick. One is a tough inside midfielder that Triggy said we are in need of and the other is a quick midfielder/small forward which we are also in need of.

I get the feeling that we won't get to make that decision because one of them, if not both, could already be gone.
Is it true that an Ebert (not Brad) was on 5AA saying they would love for him to stay in SA but were talking heaps and heaps about Port? I mean that's a lovely sentiment and all but surely they realise that on the remote chance that Brad stays in SA that it's with the Crows.

Say no to Selwood at Pick 10! He will be a good, average player that provides nothing remarkable - much more like his brothers who aren't named Joel. Good player, but we could do much better with Pick 10. I'd wait for 27 to see if Maric is still around really. He'd be a risk at Pick 10 and it'd probably be one of the biggest surprises of the draft if he went that early. It would end up being stroke of genius or yet another absolute bust because as I've said before, there'll be no in between with Maric.

You'd know more than me as you've seen them play. I'm going on the detailed analysis on the T&D board. I'm guessing but Selwood appeals to me not only because of his brothers, just imagine his parents having a son playing in 4 states, the mother usually follows the junior brother that plays in another club that their sibling. Whether either could be that forward crumber we are desparately seeking was more my thinking.

I know you've preferred your avatar and reading his precise he sounds like a young Roo. But I get the impression he is not quick.

Besides one or two usually slide anyway due to some clubs picking someone no one on here picked them to do so.

You'd know more than me as you've seen them play. I'm going on the detailed analysis on the T&D board. I'm guessing but Selwood appeals to me not only because of his brothers, just imagine his parents having a son playing in 4 states, the mother usually follows the junior brother that plays in another club that their sibling. Whether either could be that forward crumber we are desparately seeking was more my thinking.

I know you've preferred your avatar and reading his precise he sounds like a young Roo. But I get the impression he is not quick.

Besides one or two usually slide anyway due to some clubs picking someone no one on here picked them to do so.
The thing with Scott Selwood is that he's a little too blue collar to go as early as Pick 10. He's a good and safe prospect but if it came down to picking a player like that I'd much prefer Jack Grimes because you get all of that with the added bonus of leadership. I wouldn't take Grimes at 10, which is why I wouldn't take Selwood at 10. I dare say that Selwood will go a pick or two earlier than he really should because Joel slipping was a massive draft blunder last year and that might run on clubs minds.

As far as Veszpremi goes, one thing he certainly has is quickness! He's a rocket off the mark. He was injured for Draft Camp but I'm pretty sure he'd break 3 seconds in the 20m sprint. I'd also like to know where rumours of this 11 something Beep Test came from because I have it from a reliable source that he ran 13.10 in March this year.

My mind is very open with Pick 10 and if someone like Ebert, Palmer or Masten slid then I would jump all over that like a venerial disease to Paris Hilton. I just wish I'd seen more of Rioli. He looked good when I saw him but didn't jump out at me so much. That said, I've seen Rioli twice and Veszpremi about a dozen times so I have a much better idea of what we'd get from him. If we end up with Rioli I'll trust our recruiting team on that because I'm in no position to critically analyse him. :thumbsu:

The thing with Scott Selwood is that he's a little too blue collar to go as early as Pick 10. He's a good and safe prospect but if it came down to picking a player like that I'd much prefer Jack Grimes because you get all of that with the added bonus of leadership. I wouldn't take Grimes at 10, which is why I wouldn't take Selwood at 10. I dare say that Selwood will go a pick or two earlier than he really should because Joel slipping was a massive draft blunder last year and that might run on clubs minds.

As far as Veszpremi goes, one thing he certainly has is quickness! He's a rocket off the mark. He was injured for Draft Camp but I'm pretty sure he'd break 3 seconds in the 20m sprint. I'd also like to know where rumours of this 11 something Beep Test came from because I have it from a reliable source that he ran 13.10 in March this year.

My mind is very open with Pick 10 and if someone like Ebert, Palmer or Masten slid then I would jump all over that like a venerial disease to Paris Hilton. I just wish I'd seen more of Rioli. He looked good when I saw him but didn't jump out at me so much. That said, I've seen Rioli twice and Veszpremi about a dozen times so I have a much better idea of what we'd get from him. If we end up with Rioli I'll trust our recruiting team on that because I'm in no position to critically analyse him. :thumbsu:

Vic Crow

Many thanks for your continued balanced and informative posts on these young guys. Cheers :thumbsu:

Cheers guys. I'm in a fortunate position where I get to see heaps of TAC Cup footy (live and video) so I'm happy to help where I can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11.9 is Veszpremi's AIS time I think. Rioli absolutely killed it in the champs. Led the assist and kicked 7 as a lone forward in one game- he is a genuine football smart footballer. I wouldn't mind Rioli. He's not super super quick- He's 2.96 over 20- not super quick but quicker than average but he's far from being outside. I'm pretty sure he plays as an onballer at Scotch college for his school. He's more inside than outside I'm pretty sure. I would not mind him at all at 10... I don't know whether he'd be there though. 14 clubs have spoken to him I think and we're apparently the ones who have shown most interest.

would not be dissappointed at all if we drafted Maric with #10, the more I hear about him, the more I want him at our club, whilst yes it would be a bit of a suprise and risk at #10, but hey, we've got to get one right at some stage and maybe this one might pay off. Just think is supreme skills and ability to kick goals from anywhere make him sound very Jarmanesk. He is a genuine goal kicker and i think coupled up with Walker would be a very dangerous combination.

His only downside is the risk factor in that he is a bit hit or miss and that he has very little chance of playing in the midfield, but that doesn't worry me so much. As for the risk factor, I see Rioli as being as risky or perhaps even more risky, then again, I trust that the crows have done their homework and know best.

Was on the AFL draft camp video, Shifter was talking about it from memory.

Think he said 11.9 was the beep and he ran a 2.91 over 20M. I presume they were a while ago, if he didn't test at DC.

Just wondering what crows supporters would prefer in the draft:
Pick 10: Ebert or Rioli;
Pick 27: Greenwood, Maric or Selwood?

Assuming they were available at that time.

From what i have gleaned on Bribanes board I think they are near certanties to go for Ebert if Essendon haven't taken him. I heard Jeremy Clayton on KG and Cornesey show and he rated Levi Greenwood very highly. He may still be there at pick 27. I doubt if Selwood or Maric will be there though

From what i have gleaned on Bribanes board I think they are near certanties to go for Ebert if Essendon haven't taken him. I heard Jeremy Clayton on KG and Cornesey show and he rated Levi Greenwood very highly. He may still be there at pick 27. I doubt if Selwood or Maric will be there though

thats the feeling i get too, if we want Maric, it will have to be pick 10, and he could turn out to be worth it, if Greenwood was there at 27, I would definitely take him, as he is one of a very select few south aussies with talent in the draft.

This is what I hope happens, and if cards do fall out way, it could well pan out that way :)

Pick 10: Brad Ebert (fingers, toes and everything else crossed :p)
Pick 27: Addam Maric (See Brad Ebert)
Pick 30: Andrew Otten
Pick 38: Mitch Farmer
Pick 59: Kepler Bradley (HIGHLY unlikely) or Marlon Motlop or any other potential crumbing forward with pace.
Pick 75: Walker Texas Ranger.

Brad Ebert for obvious reasons. Fits Reid's description perfectly of a player that cna play the midfield, back and forward role. Strong Body, good overhead, great kick, leadership qualities and a local product. Can play inside and outside. Just about ticks every box.

Addam Maric from all reports is not so much of a crumber but more of a Brad Ebert marking type forward. Would LOVE to get this kid and see what happens.

Andrew Otten is the sort of player we seem to LOVE. A tallish utility type with athleticism, versatility and skills. Can play tall or small and would be a great asset to have in modern game.

Mitch Farmer is the kid we were interested in last year as well. Another year on, and a much weaker draft and I could see us picking him up. He could be a value pick here.

To balance it off in terms of talls and smalls, I would love to get Kepler Bradley with pick 59 but I just can't see Fremantle passing on him with the pick a few spots before ours.

If we could end up with Ebert, Maric, Otten, Farmer, Bradley and Walker out of this draft, I think we would have done very well.

Brad Ebert for obvious reasons. Fits Reid's description perfectly of a player that cna play the midfield, back and forward role. Strong Body, good overhead, great kick, leadership qualities and a local product. Can play inside and outside. Just about ticks every box.
I think he also ticks the '' should play in 2008'' box

Remove this Banner Ad

National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back