Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 141 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 338 70.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope. Daicos is a completely different level to Sheezel. Daicos on current trajectory will be one of the all time greats.

Sheezel will have a very respectable Shane Crawford type career.
Daicos will be known as a guy who played in the same era as Harry Sheezel

Best first 3 years, I can remember. Significant to also consider that the two years beforehand he barely played any footy at all due to covid. Amazing start to his career.

Yep we are very lucky. Instant impact, some all time greats took a few years to get going

Leigh Montagna on 360 tonight - 'It's not unrealistic to have the chat about can he [N. Daicos] be the Greatest Player Of All Time'.

I mean, it was only ever going to be a matter of time before it was going to be a standard discussion in football circles.

He's not the first to say it this year, and it's only going to become more commonplace.
The only real question now is how long before the question changes from "can he be?" to "Is he?"

The only real question now is how long before the question changes from "can he be?" to "Is he?"
Not that individual medals are the be all and end all, GAJ won 10, and was on his way to 3 more before his season ending shoulder injury in 2014.

I reckon he'll exceed that, and when he does that's when the discussion will occur.

Not that individual medals are the be all and end all, GAJ won 10, and was on his way to 3 more before his season ending shoulder injury in 2014.

I reckon he'll exceed that, and when he does that's when the discussion will occur.
No one has ever won 3 consecutive Brownlows, that's when it will really ramp up, so Sept 2026 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, it was only ever going to be a matter of time before it was going to be a standard discussion in football circles.

He's not the first to say it this year, and it's only going to become more commonplace.
I like what Montagna said on Footy Talk.

"Are we underselling what Nick Daicos is actually doing as a footballer?"
"Nearly every single time, Nick Daicos has been the most significant factor in their come from behind wins"
"If we were to look at the most clutch players of all time, you could almost argue in his 62 games he's had more swings in momentum off the back of his performance in 4th quarters or late in games than any other player that's played"

Hard to argue with that.

EFA.

Nicky doesn't come close.
You'll have to argue that with Joey.

And also

"If we were to look at the most clutch players of all time, you could almost argue in his 62 games he's had more swings in momentum off the back of his performance in 4th quarters or late in games than any other player that's played"

Indeed.

Clutch performances changing momentum in games. That's what we assess when looking at the GOATs.

Fadge and his gang any time Nicky is spoken about in glowing terms by paid click bait entertainers
bill hader suck it GIF

I like what Montagna said on Footy Talk.

"Are we underselling what Nick Daicos is actually doing as a footballer?"
"Nearly every single time, Nick Daicos has been the most significant factor in their come from behind wins"

Hard to argue with that.
Did you like this bit as well. Hard to be a lazy goat.

One thing I really like about Nick is that he’s not afraid to make a mistake

He is definitely not the precise kicker he was from half back, but nobody is really (Jordan Dawson another example of a drop off once position changed)

But how many times do you see a player make a mistake and not follow up, or go into their shell and stop taking the game on? Nick doesn’t stop, he is willing to cop the criticism if he makes a mistake knowing that the sum of his efforts is rarely negative.

I keep trying to work out what makes Nick different but I think it may just be as simple as being pretty good at everything (except contested marking, but that’s not a big deal) but have an exceptional mentality and attitude

I keep trying to work out what makes Nick different but I think it may just be as simple as being pretty good at everything (except contested marking, but that’s not a big deal) but have an exceptional mentality and attitude

I think you're underselling his traits.

He's top shelf at multiple things:

Hands like Lachie Neale
Vision like Pendlebury
Runs like Ben Cousins
Kicks like Lindsay Gilbee
Reads the game like Greg Williams

He's an amazing combination of attributes. You can be a champion with just one or two of those.

Back