Opinion Non-Crows AFL 5: Save Ken

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Might be controversial but I actually don't think Geelong cheat the salary cap, at least not any more than other clubs.

Their list is so old that they don't have many players on long term deals. The only established players currently contracted more than 2 years into the future are Guthrie and Cameron. Contrast that to the Crows and we've got Laird, Dawson, O'Brien, Thilthorpe, Milera, Rachele, Soligo all signed up for 2025 and beyond.

Players such as Selwood, Hawkins, Smith, Higgins, Tuohy, Rohan and Dahlhaus are all out of contract this year. Geelong are probably assuming not all of these players will continue. Guys with deals ending in 2024 like Duncan, Parfitt, Dangerfield, Stewart are probably getting BIG money in that year.

If they wanted to grab a star player from another team all they need to do is back end a 4 year deal with big money in the 3rd and 4th years.

Then the Cats can push for unders re-signing their older out of contract players. Want to keep playing? Well here, take this bargain basement deal

Might be controversial but I actually don't think Geelong cheat the salary cap, at least not any more than other clubs.
It might not be as widespread as all their players, but I think there is some that are definitely paid outside the cap that are "Geelong" for life.

Danger definitely would come under this.

It might not be as widespread as all their players, but I think there is some that are definitely paid outside the cap that are "Geelong" for life.

I dunno, Dangerfield is signed up to 2024 when he will reach 34 years old. Signing a four year contract at his age (one year before he was out of contract) seems like pretty obvious cap management to me

Selwood, Danger and Hawkins probably earn the same amount of salary as Jimmy Rowe lol. Probably haven't had to use their credit cards to actually pay for anything for years though.

You say you watch a fair bit, but refer to two sides we don't play this season.

The likes of Melbourne, Brisbane, North etc will push us as they are the sides we're competing with for top 4 (I would've added Freo in this mix prior to yesterday). Other sides we should beat comfortably, and I'd expect we'd still comfortably finish top 4 at the end of the season.

The expansion sides will not push any of the established sides - even West Coast beat Port!

I must admit I didn’t look at our draw in terms of playing them or not. Watching the game though both of those sides played. A good style and Essendon I’m particularly had a couple of good marking forwards. The standard was very good for expansion sides

I thought our performance - albeit against one of the favourites for the year - was very average. But fair point comparing playing A top side to a new side

Maybe I have jumped the gun

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cats fans are very quick to rubbish it when it gets raised.
I know second hand info Tuohy was given a house outside the salary cap to move from Carlton to Geelong.

If this was true - regardless of the VFL we fixation we all have - I am sure the Bombers and Blues etc would have complained enough and had it investigated by now. I would have to call BS on that

If this was true - regardless of the VFL we fixation we all have - I am sure the Bombers and Blues etc would have complained enough and had it investigated by now. I would have to call BS on that

How would they know if the AFL never investigated.
Geelong "self-reported" only a couple years ago of having been over the cap due to "GST" errors.

Any Crows punters out there may be interested.

Here is the list of odds for Crows most Brownlow Votes, excluding Laird on Sportsbet.

As always bet within your means and bet responsibly.

View attachment 1493967
Dawson at $9 is great value, chucked $10 on it 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong "self-reported" only a couple years ago of having been over the cap due to "GST" errors.
No idea why that didn't trigger a full audit from the AFL 8 years in a row they stuffed up and got a 50k fine

Some guy on a footy forum knows for a fact that Tuohy got a house to move from Carlton. I am sure someone associated with Carlton might have got wind of that and Carlton may have had that investigated.

This is how I could see Geelong fitting into the salary cap

View attachment 1493983

They'll have to get rid of players like Dahlahus, Smith, Higgins, Selwood, Hawkins and Tuohy in the next 1-2 years to fit in the back ending though
I suspect Tyson Stengle's $100k/year may lift a dollar or two in the near future.

So reported North wanting extra players included in a broader assistance package.

The only assistance package North should get is being wound down.

Isn't it wild?

A club that should be desperate to make a case to remain in the competition struts into league office and says that for us to ever be competitive you'd need to re-arrange the entire league rules, and we're considering it.

Priority picks should not exist.

Isn't it wild?

A club that should be desperate to make a case to remain in the competition struts into league office and says that for us to ever be competitive you'd need to re-arrange the entire league rules, and we're considering it.

Either should North.

Bit it's joke and just shows how VFL focused AFL house is.

It should be a solid No and if you don't win more than 6 games next year you are out.

Any Crows punters out there may be interested.

Here is the list of odds for Crows most Brownlow Votes, excluding Laird on Sportsbet.

As always bet within your means and bet responsibly.

View attachment 1493967
How is Walker not a $1.01 favourite, from that list?

Isn't it wild?

It’s almost never the assembled talent that keeps a club at the bottom. It’s incompetence anywhere or everywhere else but the list.

Stupid pre-finals bye back in the convo. Exists because ONCE a club rested a heap of players in a dead rubber in round 22. Not every coach is as desperate for meaningless 4 points as Neil Passmore Craig. Instead of blowing the whole shebang up, how about starting with not fixturing interstate sides in Tassie in the final round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back