Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect the point about the SANFL but ive seen about as much of that as Jennifer Lawrence has of me close up.

NONE. :p:p:p

I still think players will let a ball roll OOB more to gain a free kick and clear possession than take it themselves - and that IMO goes against the grain of the game as I follow it.

If we are talking about the DOOB rule.. and removing that interpretation aspect - IMO the Umps need to have a clearer understanding of decent intent...

A ball bouncing to the line after 2-6 bounces on a kick is not insufficient intent - but the rule needs to be clarified for them.

Go Catters
You're right they would, which is why you don't kick it there. It forces your kicks to target the corridor more.

The whole point of the sanfl rule is that it doesn't need clarification. It's black and white out the box and drives more free-flowing footy naturally.

If you have 5 mins just watch a random passage of that GF I posted. It works and has for years. The rule we have doesn't.

I respect the point about the SANFL but ive seen about as much of that as Jennifer Lawrence has of me close up.

NONE. :p:p:p

I still think players will let a ball roll OOB more to gain a free kick and clear possession than take it themselves - and that IMO goes against the grain of the game as I follow it.

If we are talking about the DOOB rule.. and removing that interpretation aspect - IMO the Umps need to have a clearer understanding of decent intent...

A ball bouncing to the line after 2-6 bounces on a kick is not insufficient intent - but the rule needs to be clarified for them.

Go Catters
I think in the SANFL the ump can decide to throw it in if a player shepherds it out when they could have taken possession themselves. So there's still a bit of a subjective element. It'd be nice if umps didn't have to imagine what "intent" was but only the objective facts, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just part of the game and part of the reason you need good umpires.
Actually the notion of insufficient intent has always been part of the holding the ball rule too. A player who was tackled needed to at least attempt to get rid of it (ie to keep it in play). The same rule I think could also be applied against the tackling player/team who, rather than seeking to "win" possession off the tackled player, seeks instead to simply tackle and lock the ball in.

I think in the SANFL the ump can decide to throw it in if a player shepherds it out when they could have taken possession themselves. So there's still a bit of a subjective element. It'd be nice if umps didn't have to imagine what "intent" was but only the objective facts, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just part of the game and part of the reason you need good umpires.
Actually the notion of insufficient intent has always been part of the holding the ball rule too. A player who was tackled needed to at least attempt to get rid of it (ie to keep it in play). The same rule I think could also be applied against the tackling player/team who, rather than seeking to "win" possession off the tackled player, seeks instead to simply tackle and lock the ball in.
Yeah it's always been a part of umpiring but the more we rely on interpretation the harder it is to translate the game to people that weren't born into it.

Wasn't aware of the shepherding part of the rules for sanfl. I don't watch heaps of it but don't think I've ever seen anyone do it. Maybe that's why

Just what team could possible take the risk on DeGoey as a Fee Agent... Sydney? Richmond? ... I think if I was Collingwood with their list starting to take shape... id consider getting an early R1 or even and end of R1 ...take it and run. Who knows maybe they add someone like JClark ... with the pick. What they do with Grundy might be more difficult... they could endup pay close to1M dollars if they tried to off load him and pay some of his money along with Treloar...

It makes me think about our list management. I can remember going back to 2018 .... when we signed up Mark Blitz for a long term 5 year deal. There were questions about the length at his age ...but it has been a brilliant piece of list management... I think we signed Cameron on a long deal ...and I guess the jury is out..but this year is paying its way for sure. Stewart, Duncan signed till the end of 2024, CGuthrie till 2025... we have shown we are happy to give longish contracts... to the guys going into their 30's... I think the advantage is it locks up the salcap.. it makes it predictable. ... and luckily we have not had too many loose cannons.

Essendon aren't far away from putting it all together. Really bullish about their prospects next year. It feels like Stringer's been around for well over a decade but he only just turned 28 and if he can have a big preseason, they have an emerging forward line which will test the very best.

Draper looking good too. Only his 34th match and now beginning to influence contests over four quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back