Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta thank whomever mentioned the AFL Memes FB group, it's hilarious.

333986869_244118354613743_5934465738564180603_n.jpg
Weird that a team from Windy Hill would have trouble on a windy day, you would think it is to their advantage.

All dick-swinging and "my dad is better than your dad" fights aside.....damn I'd love to see a fantasy world where these two teams play off.

Both teams have got pure class and skill, both have got run and flair, both have got toughness and bravery, both have got a couple of rough-nuts who wouldn't mind when it got down and dirty.

It would be epic.

All dick-swinging and "my dad is better than your dad" fights aside.....damn I'd love to see a fantasy world where these two teams play off.

Both teams have got pure class and skill, both have got run and flair, both have got toughness and bravery, both have got a couple of rough-nuts who wouldn't mind when it got down and dirty.

It would be epic.
I would love to see the 2011 team go up against the 2007 team in my fantasy world

Preseason form means absolutely nothing.
Who on earth wants to be playing good footy at this time of year?
The game will Evolve during the season as well.
Survival of the fittest.
As any other year it’ll come down to list fitness regarding the injury list

I’m confident this year we have some solid depth so in theory should we win enough games we can rest and rotate the experienced players for the finals

But like Mike Tyson said “ everyone has a plan untill they get punched in the face”.

Never like seeing stories like this. :sadv1:

Bumping this from last month, in particular for this paragraph -

“The doctors are doing everything they possibly can to ensure that I’m still here for my wedding in October and, even more importantly, I see my daughter at her own wedding in 20 years time,” she said.

Congratulations to both of them for their wedding this afternoon, but can't help feeling a touch of sadness & hoping that the decision to bring the wedding forward isn't due to further bad news (sorry if worded awkwardly)

Bumping this from last month, in particular for this paragraph -

“The doctors are doing everything they possibly can to ensure that I’m still here for my wedding in October and, even more importantly, I see my daughter at her own wedding in 20 years time,” she said.

Congratulations to both of them for their wedding this afternoon, but can't help feeling a touch of sadness & hoping that the decision to bring the wedding forward isn't due to further bad news (sorry if worded awkwardly)

Absolutely heartbreaking. It serves as a timely reminder that footy is just a game..

When do you think we will hear about the tribunal??

From the 3 incidents that i have heard of i would say

Preuss is ok (went to tackle him fairly legally not his fault the guy jumped)
DeGoey should be fine but who know (arms are free)
Cotchin should get suspended but who knows (grub act)

When do you think we will hear about the tribunal??

From the 3 incidents that i have heard of i would say

Preuss is ok (went to tackle him fairly legally not his fault the guy jumped)
DeGoey should be fine but who know (arms are free)
Cotchin should get suspended but who knows (grub act)
Preuss: suspended
De Goey: free to play
Cotchin: free to play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't make it right
Pretty close though. 1 loss for the year, almost unbeatable, WON each final easily
(interestingly same overall margin as the 07 Cats team won their 3 finals)

Pretty close though. 1 loss for the year, almost unbeatable, WON each final easily
(interestingly same overall margin as the 07 Cats team won their 3 finals)
These things are difficult to judge as how do you know the competition wasn't significantly weaker in either 2000 or 2007? Also with Geelong's 2007 season, it really only started in round 6 or whatever against Richmond. So they banked a few losses early. But does that mean by grand final day the 2007 Geelong side was inferior to the 2000 Essendon side on grand final day? Or are we simply saying "which team had the most successful season ever", rather than "which was the strongest 22 of all these premiership sides"? I look at it more from the latter perspective and Geelong's side seems to have more All Australian-level players. As good as Smokin' Joe and Jason Johnson were for a few years, could they handle peak Ablett supported by Bartel, Corey and Ling? I doubt it. Enright vs Hird would be a hell of a match up, and it would be tremendous fun to see Hardwick and M.Johnson trying to deal with Chappy + Stevie J. Essendon's forward line is stronger overall but that is somewhat cancelled out by Geelong's defence being better.

That Essendon side struggled when they came up against the competitive beasts Brisbane the following year and it's often underrated in amongst the run and gun style of those Cats in regards to just how big bodied and tough they were too. Biased I know, but I'd back that Geelong side to edge it.

These things are difficult to judge as how do you know the competition wasn't significantly weaker in either 2000 or 2007? Also with Geelong's 2007 season, it really only started in round 6 or whatever against Richmond. So they banked a few losses early. But does that mean by grand final day the 2007 Geelong side was inferior to the 2000 Essendon side on grand final day? Or are we simply saying "which team had the most successful season ever", rather than "which was the strongest 22 of all these premiership sides"? I look at it more from the latter perspective and Geelong's side seems to have more All Australian-level players. As good as Smokin' Joe and Jason Johnson were for a few years, could they handle peak Ablett supported by Bartel, Corey and Ling? I doubt it. Enright vs Hird would be a hell of a match up, and it would be tremendous fun to see Hardwick and M.Johnson trying to deal with Chappy + Stevie J. Essendon's forward line is stronger overall but that is somewhat cancelled out by Geelong's defence being better.

That Essendon side struggled when they came up against the competitive beasts Brisbane the following year and it's often underrated in amongst the run and gun style of those Cats in regards to just how big bodied and tough they were too. Biased I know, but I'd back that Geelong side to edge it.
I think it's the 2000 team v the 2007 team, Not GF day only.
2008 should have been the laydown misere for us- instead, it's just miserere.

Last edited:
What your discounting is 1999

Geel in the 2nd half of the 90s - re with that stupid- ridiculous AFL final system - which the AFL made up on the run- the Cats you could say were pillored and r*ped

But nothing comes close to what what happened to Ess in 99 - finished top 18-4 - won their 1st final by 11 goals . Carlton 12-10 record finish 6th - lose their 1st final by 12 goals . Eagles finish 5th - beat the 4th team the Dogs at the MCG - following week for some bizarre reason Eagles play Carl - and at the MCG and Blues win - and are leapfrogged - like that stupid system could do - suddenly they are level with Ess - and meet in a cut throat PF - Dons kick terribly inaccurately and lose by a few pts - what transpired in that finals system - who played who - and then the 2nd week the winners and losers - and where they played - is nothing short of a disgrace - a total farce - Wayne was making it up week to week

FWIW - since 1960 - i think the 2007 Geel flag is the best Geel flag winning team - John Sharrock backed that up - because he played in 63 - and also the losing 67 GF Side ( which was basically the same as the 63 side ) and he said look we just had too many ordinary players - so he didnt rate it that highly

Where as Ess since 60 have had 3 powerfull premiership teams - 85 who i clearly rate as their best team ( and not many better in the whole comp ever ) and 65 i would rate 2nd - they flogged everyone in the finals that year - including us - and id rate their 2000 team 3rd - but they were all very strong teams

What your discounting is 1999

Geel in the 2nd half of the 90s - re with that stupid- ridiculous AFL final system - which the AFL made up on the run- the Cats you could say were pillored and r*ped

But nothing comes close to what what happened to Ess in 99 - finished top 18-4 - won their 1st final by 11 goals . Carlton 12-10 record finish 6th - lose their 1st final by 12 goals . Eagles finish 5th - beat the 4th team the Dogs at the MCG - following week for some bizarre reason Eagles play Carl - and at the MCG and Blues win - and are leapfrogged - like that stupid system could do - suddenly they are level with Ess - and meet in a cut throat PF - Dons kick terribly inaccurately and lose by a few pts - what transpired in that finals system - who played who - and then the 2nd week the winners and losers - and where they played - is nothing short of a disgrace - a total farce - Wayne was making it up week to week

FWIW - since 1960 - i think the 2007 Geel flag is the best Geel flag winning team - John Sharrock backed that up - because he played in 63 - and also the losing 67 GF Side ( which was basically the same as the 63 side ) and he said look we just had too many ordinary players - so he didnt rate it that highly

Where as Ess since 60 have had 3 powerfull premiership teams - 85 who i clearly rate as their best team ( and not many better in the whole comp ever ) and 65 i would rate 2nd - they flogged everyone in the finals that year - including us - and id rate their 2000 team 3rd - but they were all very strong teams
Very true. That year absolutely should've been a North Melbourne vs Essendon grand final and if it was half as good as their home and away encounter it'd have been a classic. They really did deserve a second flag, when you put that side up against the recent Richmond who got 3 it's chalk and cheese.

The finals system was bizarre for sure. Carlton should've had to play Brisbane at the Gabba rather than West Coast at the MCG in the semi but of course that would leave Bulldogs only potential opponent as West Coast...again. So by nature of having nowhere to go, the Blues got an advantage. The only way that format minus the top 4 separation would work is if it was genuine knockout every single round like the NBA playoffs. But the difference is those playoffs last 7 games per match up so a one off fluke game can't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back