Official 2007 National & Rookie Draft Thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: National Draft Selection #31

In the Phantom Draft on AFL insider, they're up to #30 and both Ward and Ottens are still on the board. Nearly the ideal situation there. :thumbsu:

If only that happened IRL.

Not going to happen. You don't trade a player who could be at the club for 10 years, to get a druggie who could be there for 2.

If that druggie happens to be an elite midfield superstar and there is nothing all that valuable who looks like being a 10 year player, and your nearing a premiership window... sometimes you do..... :eek:

I would be open to the possibility of a 2 year contract in 2009, if he keeps his nose clean (pardon the pun :p) and dominates for East Freo in the WAFL next year, but then I imagine most clubs would be...

The Phantom on afl insider.net has Collingwood passing on both Callan Ward and Andy Otten to take Aaron Joseph at #31... interesting!

They're up to pick #33 and they're both still on the board. Oh to be so lucky on November the 24th! :D

The Phantom on afl insider.net has Collingwood passing on both Callan Ward and Andy Otten to take Aaron Joseph at #31... interesting!

They're up to pick #33 and they're both still on the board. Oh to be so lucky on November the 24th! :D
I like Aaron Joseph, but I'd be pretty disappointed if we passed on Ward to take him.

I rate Otten even higher than Ward, and Ward pretty highly on his own, but I could understand if we passed on Otten to take Joseph, given that we could use a true midfielder, and Otten may not be that at AFL level.

Ward is exactly what we're looking for though - A player who can win hard ball and is an immaculate kick of the ball. I would sincerely doubt that he'll make it outside of the first round.

If Ward got to us, however unlikely (afl insider is up to #36 and still neither has been taken!) I'd say he has Hine written all over him. He is Victorian, bottom aged and has shown massive improvment this year. I'm just hoping that clubs have formed their opinions based more on champs games, because Ward was injured and Otten below his best for the Vics.

If both were available at our pick, would you take Otten as you rate him higher, or Ward for need?

If both were available at our pick, would you take Otten as you rate him higher, or Ward for need?
Gees... That's a seriously tough choice...

I think I'd lean towards Ward, because I think that there's a better chance he makes it as a midfielder than Otten. I'd probably rate Otten a slightly better chance to make it overall, but if he ends up being better suited to an outside leading forward role, or something like that, then he wouldn't be quite as valuable to us.

That said, if I was presented with a choice between the two at #31, I would probably be too busy doing a jig to remember to make my choice :p

That said, if I was presented with a choice between the two at #31, I would probably be too busy doing a jig to remember to make my choice :p
If that were to happen, by the time the draft was over I'd be blind drunk! :p

He plays for Calder - Uber-midget at 170cm and 68kg. Does all the things you'd expect from a little guy i.e. Tackling well and decent. Kicks goals up forward, and finds it decently. Kicking is inconsistent though.

Can't imagine him making it though - Not half the prospect that Fort Caruso was, comparitively, and no one took half a look at Fort.

Gees... That's a seriously tough choice...

I think I'd lean towards Ward, because I think that there's a better chance he makes it as a midfielder than Otten. I'd probably rate Otten a slightly better chance to make it overall, but if he ends up being better suited to an outside leading forward role, or something like that, then he wouldn't be quite as valuable to us.

If Ward made it to 31 that would be a massive get. I have a feeling WC are lining him up, maybe even at 13. Got a feeling Adelaide will be sniffing around Otten and they have 2 picks in the 20s before you guys, so he might go just before your pick.

But as you say, Hine will probably get some guy nobody really considered and he'll turn out to be a jet.

Vinny, how would you feel about De Boer @ 31? Have heard you guys are interested.

Vinny, how would you feel about De Boer @ 31? Have heard you guys are interested.
Yeah, I've heard the rumour, and also heard that - A) He might not nominate, and B) he's a bit of a dodgy kick.

I'm not sure that I'd be all that in favour of him, but if the recruiting department went with him, I'd back their judgment over my limited (read: non-existant) knowledge of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I've heard the rumour, and also heard that - A) He might not nominate, and B) he's a bit of a dodgy kick.

I'm not sure that I'd be all that in favour of him, but if the recruiting department went with him, I'd back their judgment over my limited (read: non-existant) knowledge of him.

He's an interesting one. Certainly got some elements which Hine has embraced in the past; nice height, bottom-age etc. I've only seem him afew times and his kicking doesnt seem too bad. I think he has alot of upside, will be interesting to see what a club is willing to pay.

He's an interesting one. Certainly got some elements which Hine has embraced in the past; nice height, bottom-age etc. I've only seem him afew times and his kicking doesnt seem too bad. I think he has alot of upside, will be interesting to see what a club is willing to pay.
You see him as a clearance player in the AFL?

I think that was only on his non-preferred.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official 2007 National & Rookie Draft Thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back