Official 2012 Draft Day Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

People seem to jump to their defence and scream that they're only 18 year old kids, but the harsh reality is that you can't be a normal 18 year old kid if you're going to move away from home and embark on a career as a professional athlete.

That said, I still hope we take a punt on Garlett if he's available at our rookie pick. For people worried about recruiting a dickhead, I personally think that if our player group is able to be derailed by an 18 year old, we've got bigger things to worry about. If anybody is going to get through to him, I'd back Sando to be that person.

I guess by forfeiting our first two picks in this years draft we have only cost ourselves Tim Obrien because i think we wouldve taken Siggins with pick 62. So at the end of the day we got Aitkins instead of Obrien which is not too bad if this part of our punishment.

:thumbsu:
Because of all the "promoted rookie" picks used, our picks 62 & 81 effectively became 60 & 68 - ie our pick 54 downgraded to 60 and in a sense one could say pick 20 downgraded to 68.

It would be interesting if Faith/someone could leak a more comprehensive list order of draftees whom we were after, so that we can see who we have hypothetically lost due to our indiscretions.
As you say, Tim O'Brien seems to be the one we lost with pick 20.
I'ld be interested to see who we lost due to Tippett (say pick 23 at a minimum) - (maybe Clurey?).

:thumbsu:
Because of all the "promoted rookie" picks used, our picks 62 & 81 effectively became 60 & 68 - ie our pick 54 downgraded to 60 and in a sense one could say pick 20 downgraded to 68.

It would be interesting if Faith/someone could leak a more comprehensive list order of draftees whom we were after, so that we can see who we have hypothetically lost due to our indiscretions.
As you say, Tim O'Brien seems to be the one we lost with pick 20.
I'ld be interested to see who we lost due to Tippett (say pick 23 at a minimum) - (maybe Clurey?).

Noble said on radio we had a trade good to go with our pick 20 and were only going to use 23 in this draft.

Noble said on radio we had a trade good to go with our pick 20 and were only going to use 23 in this draft.
That makes no sense at all. The only way we would be able to get away with a solitary draft pick would be if we had upgraded Laird. Upgrading Laird made more sense after the Tippett fiasco than it did before it.. I'm confused. o_O

Any ideas who?

Also, that would have meant we would have upgraded 2 rookies (Calinan + 1 more) in order to get 3 live picks.

Edit: Ninja'd by Vader!

Welcome to our 2 new recruits, even though I have absolutely no idea who you are (even more so than usual).

It was interesting to see that there were almost no delisted players picked up in this draft. North Melbourne had the only 2 (Jacobs and Hine, and Jacobs was a failed trade really).

Anyone know how many clubs have picks in the pre-season draft?

Dangerfield has very quickly turned into our best club ambassador, hasn't he! :p Always getting around the new lads, or potential new lads, always talking up the club online. He's a superstar :thumbsu:

This is 100% true and feel the same way but I don't feel that means he is ready to be captain.

I would like to see him back his 2012 season up with another superb performance in 2013 before worrying about taking on any captaincy role. He can stay doing the role he is doing now as I'm sure the new recruits would rather hear from Dangerfield than Van Berlo.

That makes no sense at all. The only way we would be able to get away with a solitary draft pick would be if we had upgraded Laird. Upgrading Laird made more sense after the Tippett fiasco than it did before it.. I'm confused. o_O

I think they mean they would have used 23 and 54. When they say "only" 23 they mean not 20 and 23.

I think they mean they would have used 23 and 54. When they say "only" 23 they mean not 20 and 23.
That still doesn't make any sense. To do that we would have had to delist another player.

Even with Tippett gone, we'd still only have had 2 list vacancies to play with, after Crouch, Graham and Callinan are accounted for. Trading for another player would have left us with 1 vacancy, but we would have been 1 short of the AFL's mandatory 3 draft selections.

That still doesn't make any sense. To do that we would have had to delist another player.

Even with Tippett gone, we'd still only have had 2 list vacancies to play with, after Crouch, Graham and Callinan are accounted for. Trading for another player would have left us with 1 vacancy, but we would have been 1 short of the AFL's mandatory 3 draft selections.

Perhaps it was the plan before we got Graham?

Do we have any picks in the preseason draft or will Joyce have to be rookie listed (assuming we can rookie list this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right Vader. It doesn't make sense because it is spin. Elsewhere our recruting staff were saying something along the lines that they would have loved to have used the credts from a Tippett trade to upgrade draft picks to put ourselves into a postion to have a crack at Toumpas.

I'm just relating what I heard Noble say on radio, I'm not stating it as a fact.

I assume he was talking in context of first round picks.

I'm just relating what I heard Noble say on radio, I'm not stating it as a fact.

I assume he was talking in context of first round picks.
I wasn't criticising you. Merely pointing out the BS and inconsistency in the club's attempts to placate the sheep after what has been a major debacle.

Snoop Dog on Big Footy rated our two draftees quite highly in his mock draft.

# 32 Brisbane

Rory Atkins
Calder
183cm / 75kg / ‘94
Winner of the Calder B&F and as kid I think might surprise come draft day. Had his issues as a bottom ager but saw him a couple of times last year and stood out to me as one to watch. Didn’t let us down and gave some sensational performances for Calder through the middle of the year but wasn’t used much in the Champs...in fact his champs were pretty ordinary which may worry some. Midfielder / Fwd type in the Chris Knights mould who is a run and carry type of player and is just one of those natural looking players who is good 1:1 in the air or at ground level, very clean with his hands and efficient ball user. Will take some time to develop though as he is pretty light and hence think he will start more fwd but i can see him moving onto a wing with time and really developing into a Knights type player....smart fwd who can go through the middle but not overly quick. The knock on this kid is his fitness and the fact he hasn’t improved through 2012 as much as others. But an AFL environment will get him right and he will be a ripper. Haynes or Sumner might be others around here.

# 40 St Kilda

Sam Siggins
Lauderdale
196cm / 86cm / ‘94
Have seen a bit of this guy and he could be a bolter come draft day. Has all the attributes you want in a key tall. He is tall, is going to fill out, has a good 5-10 steps on him and uses the ball on the transition very well for his size. I dont rate many tall backs in this draft and he could be one that clubs say is one of the better ones. Harry Walshe might be another who gets looked at.

happy with the players we picked given how late they were.
interesting that we would have taken Obrien with 20, i dont see him as that good.
Pretty happy Kennedy and Grundy werent there at 20 would have been so dissapointed to miss out on them.
Collingwood got some good talent.

By all accounts we may have selected Tim O'Brien with 20. I quite like the look of him but i guess we will have to deal with it now. On the draft itself i'm a tad surprised Colqhoun was not selected. Hopefully Port don't select him in the Pre-Season draft and he slides to us in the rookie. Others i expected to get drafted where Gartlett and Yarran who definitely have the ability to be first class footballers.

By all accounts we may have selected Tim O'Brien with 20. I quite like the look of him but i guess we will have to deal with it now. On the draft itself i'm a tad surprised Colqhoun was not selected. Hopefully Port don't select him in the Pre-Season draft and he slides to us in the rookie. Others i expected to get drafted where Gartlett and Yarran who definitely have the ability to be first class footballers.

Cant believe Colq wasnt picked up.
O'brien doesnt seem anything special.
Grundy and Kennedy were the 2 i would be spewing if slipped to 20.

Collingwood did great in this draft.

Now to get Colqhoun as a rookie :)

I see Phillips is saying today that it could be his fault that Colqhoun did not get picked up, because he chose to play him as a loose man in defence during the National Championships, making people doubt his ability one on one.

Personally, I like Colqhoun as I think in time he'll be a ball-getting mid-fielder after starting off his career as a defender.

I'd be really surprised if he didn't end up being a pretty handy AFL footballer and hope that he is still there for us to pick up in the rookie draft (Sadly, he won't be IMO).

I accept that we are committed to Joyce in the PSD, and we will do just that. However unethically I'd prefer us to take Colqhoun in the PSD and rookie list Joyce instead. I might be selling Joyce short, but he just hasn't done enough IMO to convince me that he will be an AFL footballer.

It's early days though, and he still might prove me wrong.

Doubt it. The Graham trade was done fairly early.

I think Big future is right and it's all just BS spin from the AFC.

The Graham trade happened soon after we were supposedly about to lodge the paper work for the Tippett for White + 23 trade, but suddenly didn't. I wonder if we had traded pick 20 for this unknown player, whether Tambling might have been let go, but when we realised we were in deep shit we bunkered down, grabbed Graham ASAP and decided to keep Tambling as insurance.

I think the thoughts re getting Toumpas were very early in the picture, before it became clear he wanted to screw us over as much as he could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official 2012 Draft Day Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back