Official 2012 Draft Day Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read it, certainly doesn't create a good impression. Perhaps his behaviour will change if he gets taken out of his home state or he misses out completely.
This is what I think. Get some good influences around him. Pick him up and get someone like Sloane or VB to mentor or live with him. If no-one picks him up this year he will go in the draft next year and get picked up. Top 10 ability.

Every other club didn't have their first two rounds taken from them, they had the ability to get real talent in the first and second round. We had to be a little more adventurous. If we had of brought in Garlett, who was rated a first round pick, we would have done well.
Get over it. Garlett could simply be another Troy Taylor and pack it home in under 2 years. Certainly scared off all recruiters.

Not quick enough and just not good enough. Similar to Mitch Grigg in last year's draft. Very overrated within SA.
How exactly is Grigg an overrated junior? He might not turn out, but he is far from overrated at a junior level. Won plenty of key awards and played SANFL seniors in a strong side at 16, not many teenagers can do that.

Any redlegs fans in here?

Anyone heard of a kid named Mitch Wilkins from the Norwood under 18's that missed most of the season with a shoulder reco?

How exactly is Grigg an overrated junior? He might not turn out, but he is far from overrated at a junior level. Won plenty of key awards and played SANFL seniors in a strong side at 16, not many teenagers can do that.
I said last year that he wasn't a worthwhile pick. Never had enough to offer for a team and his main weapon is something that you don't need in the position that he plays. Sometimes picking "footballers" over "athletes" doesn't work out.

I said last year that he wasn't a worthwhile pick. Never had enough to offer for a team and his main weapon is something that you don't need in the position that he plays. Sometimes picking "footballers" over "athletes" doesn't work out.
Fair enough, but he is hardly an overrated junior. Plenty of guys of his stature make it at AFL level.

I wouldnt worry about Garlett. Every year theres a guy rated around the first round who ends up not being picked up at all - David Kellett, Will Gayfer, Matt Panos, Roury Kirkby, David Gourdis, Ryan Jackson, Clayton Collard, Ben McEntee, Steve Gaertner were all these players throughout their draft year and ended up either being picked up as rookies or not even picked up at all. To a lesser extent, guys like Sibosado, Manson, Waldhuter are the same. Theres normally a valid reason why they get overlooked and its not like any of those names ever became anything.

Garlett whilst similar is probably a better talent than any of those. Talent only guys so far though. The guy has thumbed his nose at the system and doesnt seem to give a shit about becoming a rich household name. Thats his bad luck.

I wouldnt be spewing over not getting him.

Going by a post in the F/S thread, isn't one of rehns sons eligible for drafting next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every other club didn't have their first two rounds taken from them, they had the ability to get real talent in the first and second round. We had to be a little more adventurous. If we had of brought in Garlett, who was rated a first round pick, we would have done well.
or, you could equally argue that this is the exact reason for us not to take him, and that every other club who had the ability to get real talent in the first 2 rounds should have taken the punt on him. because they already had their low risk, high talent players.

who knows which is the right decision.

Get over it. Garlett could simply be another Troy Taylor and pack it home in under 2 years. Certainly scared off all recruiters.
Let's see who turns out the better player. Rory or Garlett. Wanna put some coin on it?
Pavlich didn't get drafted in his first draft, so I guess all those recruiters were right as well.

We have rookie selection #16, and it's our only spot.

We may as well take a shot if he's there. We've already brought in those 2 other rookies who are likely a project ruck and KPD, and we've brought in another KPD in the ND. Our needs are filled, time to grab a high risk, high reward player IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official 2012 Draft Day Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back