List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that perception is overblown.

I can defend quite comfortably some of this trade period. Caddy is the perplexing decision.
The rest I am personally comfortable with.

You are comfortable with next years first being used for Tuohy? I think was unnecessary. We had the leverage again in that deal and failed to use it. The guy was out of contract - we could have got him for a pick in the 30's. Kept Smedts. Less risk. Why didn't we hold out until the eleventh hour as Freo did with Kersten. I doubt that SOS would have let Tuohy go for nothing.

You are comfortable with next years first being used for Tuohy? I think was unnecessary. We had the leverage again in that deal and failed to use it. The guy was out of contract - we could have got him for a pick in the 30's. Kept Smedts. Less risk. Why didn't we hold out until the eleventh hour as Freo did with Kersten. I doubt that SOS would have let Tuohy go for nothing.
I'm comfortable if we do well next year. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.
Do we well and it's Tuohy for Smedts and a minimal downgrade.

Hard to argue for or against that deal until the final results are in. We gambled with an ooc Henderson too with a future pick and that turned out alright.
Time will tell if it does with this one. We just have to have a good season.

Caddy should be able to go past Miles, bigger body and if he can use the ball as well or better. I would say the aim is to have him and Pretia as more inside players and let Cotch and Dusty play a bit more outside, get dust forward more often where he can be really damaging. He will have to earn his spot though.
Will be interesting how this trade pans out.
Richmond will want caddy to be worth the trade and improve on his Geelong form.
Geelong will need to nail p24 in the draft.

I'm comfortable if we do well next year. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.
Do we well and it's Tuohy for Smedts and a minimal downgrade.

Hard to argue for or against that deal until the final results are in. We gambled with an ooc Henderson too with a future pick and that turned out alright.
Time will tell if it does with this one. We just have to have a good season.

That's it though. We've taken an unnecessary gamble on a good player. Certainly no star. Who was OOC. It's just bad business.

As you say if we smash it next year and Carlton struggle then "all's well that ends well". But if one or two get injured early then it could be a disaster. To think that Wells contacted the AFL to get this one through as well. He could have said to SOS, "we've traded out our last two firsts - remember we gave you arseholes one of them - we can't and don't want to do it again. Take our pick 30 something and bugger off".

With Henderson that deal appears ok.

But I don't think ends should necessarily justify the means. Again, we could and should have got him for less. Whilst you could easily and correctly argue that Henderson has given us, at this stage, a first round pick worth of quality, imagine if we had this years first rounder to go to the draft with? Wells' movements in trade week are limiting our options. He's making life harder for himself and setting the club back through poor trading. He's making it more difficult to have access to the elite talent by trading away first rounders unnecessarily.

C'mon Doc, you know there's a group here that are of the attitude that the club cannot be questioned. Or at least are very uncomfortable in it happening. The Caddy trade is a glowing example of this. How anyone can defend the goings on of that trade is beyond me.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity. They're never going to admit the club stuffed up.

Be prepared to hear lots of "In Wells we Trust" though.

That's it though. We've taken an unnecessary gamble on a good player. Certainly no star. Who was OOC. It's just bad business.

As you say if we smash it next year and Carlton struggle then "all's well that ends well". But if one or two get injured early then it could be a disaster. To think that Wells contacted the AFL to get this one through as well. He could have said to SOS, "we've traded out our last two firsts - remember we gave you arseholes one of them - we can't and don't want to do it again. Take our pick 30 something and bugger off".

With Henderson that deal appears ok.

But I don't think ends should necessarily justify the means. Again, we could and should have got him for less. Whilst you could easily and correctly argue that Henderson has given us, at this stage, a first round pick worth of quality, imagine if we had this years first rounder to go to the draft with? Wells' movements in trade week are limiting our options. He's making life harder for himself and setting the club back through poor trading. He's making it more difficult to have access to the elite talent by trading away first rounders unnecessarily.
The only reason I can think of for not sticking to our low ball offer is that NM were interested and possessed picks 32 and 33. Also were higher in the PSD queue.

I guess the next query then is take him or let him slide if we can't get him with that offer.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity. They're never going to admit the club stuffed up.

Be prepared to hear lots of "In Wells we Trust" though.
Caddy is the perplexing decision
Whoops strike one. See year of the cat. perception overblown.

Even when admitting a poor choice being made the same few dribble on about "never going to admit the club stuffed up"

Whoops strike one. See year of the cat. perception overblown.

Even when admitting a poor choice being made the same few dribble on about "never going to admit the club stuffed up"

Pretty sure Partridge wasn't directly referring to yourself. And for what it's worth, I don't think you're stupid either :thumbsu:

Will be interesting how this trade pans out.
Richmond will want caddy to be worth the trade and improve on his Geelong form.
Geelong will need to nail p24 in the draft.
Yes.
Plus we now want you guys to implode so the draft pick the GWS transferred to us from you guys is even better.
Will certainly add a bit of spice from a supporters perspective next year!

I'm hopeful Caddy can improve his consistency with more inside midfielder responsibilities at Richmond, but I'm also hesitant about his 2016 season, which most are writing off due to him playing up forward. I also noticed in Caddy's presser that he singled out Scott Selwood as a player Geelong brought in to play midfield, which I interpreted as him feeling like he'd been pushed out of his best position by an outside player.

How much do you guys think his performance in 2016 suffered by playing up forward instead of midfield? How good is he actually?

I remember when Greenwood went to Collingwood and he's done nothing. Caddy seemed to have an average year as a 24 year old mid/forward... thoughts?

bac560ae03550483fad964367bf93de9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hopeful Caddy can improve his consistency with more inside midfielder responsibilities at Richmond, but I'm also hesitant about his 2016 season, which most are writing off due to him playing up forward. I also noticed in Caddy's presser that he singled out Scott Selwood as a player Geelong brought in to play midfield, which I interpreted as him feeling like he'd been pushed out of his best position by an outside player.

How much do you guys think his performance in 2016 suffered by playing up forward instead of midfield? How good is he actually?

I remember when Greenwood went to Collingwood and he's done nothing. Caddy seemed to have an average year as a 24 year old mid/forward... thoughts?
Can kick a clutch goal. Extremely inconsistent player though. Goes from being just above par for a game then 3 weeks of poor to almost par.
Bar kicking at least a goal a game (which is preety good) he doesn't really have any attributes that stand out. Not that hard at the ball or the man for a bloke his size. Average field kick at best. Definitely not quick, doesn't really break lines or provide run. He's clearence and contested work is overrated IMO.
Very good marking ability.
Best ever game he's played though was when Selwood wasn't playing last year. Only game he's played as the main man in the middle. Was absolutely terrific.

Last edited:
Can kick a clutch goal. Extremely inconsistent player though. Goes from being just above par for a game then 3 weeks of poor to almost par.
Bar kicking at least a goal a game (which is preety good) he doesn't really have any attributes that stand out. Not that hard at the ball or the man for a bloke his size. Average field kick at best. Definitely not quick, doesn't really break lines or provide run. He's clearence and contested work is overrated IMO.
Very good marking ability.
Best ever game he's played though was when Selwood wasn't playing last year. Only game he's played as the main man in the middle. Was absolutely terrific.
I recall that game but you are right, he's too hot and cold throughout the season.
However, Selwood himself has mentioned Caddy is lazy at training and has a poor attention span.

He looks great. Maybe its his club after all. Hope he gets to sing that brilliant song a few times next year too.
Richmond fans were talking about Deledio being the last player who has been in a side that has beaten Geelong. I hope next year we rip them apart let the Caddy shack come crumbling down

I think all Cats fans are just bitter, like myself but not for the fact we lost him but got screwed at the trade table for unreasonable and below offer pick.

In hindsight we basically gave away Ablett for ZERO compensation as both (him & Smedts) were spuds that didn't repay the club.

We lost Ablett and won a flag the year after, the Hawks lost buddy and won a flag the year after, the Crows lost Dangerfield and improved the year after...

I'm sure we can deal with the loss of Caddy.

Was good against soft kills, but ultimately had question marks still in the very big games. Don't mind seeing the club keep itself reasonably early in this draft by moving him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back