List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
T Mitchell got pick 14, Caddy isnt even close to 15. I had some hope we could have downgraded a bunch of picks for Richmonds ones to get it but it was not to be.

I thought keeping him to his contract was the more likely giving our permierships goals. Also not to be.

24 and a small downgrade is fair in the end. Its the lost hopes of what could have been with Deledio and the further kick in the nuts with him heading to our rival that hurts more then anything with the Caddy trade in isolation.

Really???
Josh Caddy wasnt a best 22 player at Geelong?
He never had a golden ticket but it did always seem like the club saw him as best 22.... As evidenced by only not picking him once after he did his medial.... His grunt in the middle/foward half will be a loss. Lets just hope we nail this pick 24 in the draft.

Not "clearly", no.
Obviously,Wells and staff agree,if they didn't he would still be here.
Like I said in a previous post,I never rated him,to many bad decisions and turnovers.
Vindication!

It doesn't mean they agree, it just means we think he is worth 24 plus a small downgrade and that Wells is nice and nice in this instance is soft.
Far too much room for nicities at Geelong when there shouldn't be unless it comes to letting certain players stay and not force them out.
We have it all wrong.
Bad bad trade, but what does this bad trade mean? Not much, it is just Caddy he isn't a superstar but Richmond believe he has changed the world.

What on earth is Josh Caddy worth - id say about pick 24

There is no way in hell you would get a top 15 pick for Josh Caddy - because he isnt good enough to warrant that

If 90% of the posters who are so distraught ( unbelievable overreaction) were buying a player of Caddy ability - theyd say a mid 20s pick is about on the money
What Caddy is worth on the open market is irrelevant because he wasn't on the open market. What's relevant is what he was currently worth to us and IMO he was worth alot more to us than pick 24.

Our depth has taken a hit this off season and we didn't need to add to it by trading Caddy away.

Let's be honest, his position at the club was hardly untenable. He had just bought a house in the Geelong area less than a month ago.

What Caddy is worth on the open market is irrelevant because he wasn't on the open market. What's relevant is what he was currently worth to us and IMO he was worth alot more to us than pick 24.

Our depth has taken a hit this off season and we didn't need to add to it by trading Caddy away.

Let's be honest, his position at the club was hardly untenable. He had just bought a house in the Geelong area less than a month ago.

Exactly, it's what he was 'worth to us'. Pick 24 was a bad deal for us, Caddy plays his role, and like you said he was happy here, bought a house in Geelong so obviously saw his future at the cats yet somehow gets traded when he wasn't even on the open market.

Sorry to see Caddy go but with one paced mids like Duncan,Menegola and Scooter now running through the midfield we can probably afford his loss.

The knock on him has been his inability to consistently get to contests.

Agree just 24, no need to downgrade 56, but do you know who also shouldn't be rated pick 15? Deledio.... oh and a 3rd round.
A players worth is always dependent on your clubs circumstances.
For GWS with other early picks, the ability to pick up an A grade player that may be the cream that gets them a flag is probably worth 15 (and 3rd round).
The gamble they have taken o a 3 year deal is that his body holds up.

Guy and Gals

Calm down the lot of you...

The runes have been consulted....pick 24 will win Rising Star award (in a premiership winning 2017)
and pick 64...

(drum roll please)

will

Captain Geelong in 2025 chasing a 3rd flag in a row.

:rolleyes:

**** YEAH :thumbsu:;)
I read on bigfooty that the psychic who predicted the 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 grandfinal winners said that Geelong wouldn't win one until 2032 so you are clearly wrong.

We have also set a great precedent that contracts mean sweet **** all. Want to leave when you want? Go right ahead, Geelong will accommodate your every need. Want to go play with your best friend? No problem.. Want to have a few beers after game? No problem.. Want to show up to preseason so fat your team mates call you out in the public? No problem.. Have years and years of injury problems? No problem, we will keep you on the list and wait in hope for the 'potential'. Welcome to Geelong, where we keep you on the list for 5-6 years and offload you for a bag of peanuts.

We have also set a great precedent that contracts mean sweet **** all. Want to leave when you want? Go right ahead, Geelong will accommodate your every need. Want to go play with your best friend? No problem.. Want to have a few beers after game? No problem.. Want to show up to preseason so fat your team mates call you out in the public? No problem.. Have years and years of injury problems? No problem, we will keep you on the list and wait in hope for the 'potential'. Welcome to Geelong, where we keep you on the list for 5-6 years and offload you for a bag of peanuts.

Yep, no wonder players want to come to us.

Caddy not Best 22? Funny could have sworn Scott was talking late in the year about bringing Caddy straight back in to the team after weeks out with injury because "that shows how highly we rate him".

When you are not dropped for three years you are Best F-ing 22.

Find.... A.... New.... Angle... Apologists.....

Best part of this is I really am drinking beer at work today (need a refill actually).

This is still great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting Danger,scooter and menagola pushed caddy out of the mids.
They played caddy forward because he's a better forward than Mena and SS.
It's caddy call to the leave and the club let him go....Caddy could of stayed and worked harder to get in the mids.
He will have the same problem at Richmond he's behide Cotch,dusty,meatball,miles even young Ellis is going pretty well.The tigers might play dusty more forward,caddy is no shoe in,in their mids.

Yeah, he seemed to be included in the senior team an awful lot for someone outside the best 22.
I actually don't think he was ever dropped. The only weeks he ever played in the VFL were after an injury.

Getting Danger,scooter and menagola pushed caddy out of the mids.
They played caddy forward because he's a better forward than Mena and SS.
It's caddy call to the leave and the club let him go....Caddy could of stayed and worked harder to get in the mids.
He will have the same problem at Richmond he's behide Cotch,dusty,meatball,miles even young Ellis is going pretty well.The tigers might play dusty more forward,caddy is no shoe in,in their mids.
Caddy should be able to go past Miles, bigger body and if he can use the ball as well or better. I would say the aim is to have him and Pretia as more inside players and let Cotch and Dusty play a bit more outside, get dust forward more often where he can be really damaging. He will have to earn his spot though.

The club can do no wrong.

You know how you got antsy yesterday about the overuse of the 'in wells we trust' phrase, yeah well this one is far too overused on here.

Who actually sits here and belligerently states no mistakes are made? No one.

You know how you got antsy yesterday about the overuse of the 'in wells we trust' phrase, yeah well this one is far too overused on here.

Who actually sits here and belligerently states no mistakes are made? No one.

C'mon Doc, you know there's a group here that are of the attitude that the club cannot be questioned. Or at least are very uncomfortable in it happening. The Caddy trade is a glowing example of this. How anyone can defend the goings on of that trade is beyond me.

Last edited:
I couldn't understand why we gave Richmond a sweetener by upgrading their later pick. Then I realised that if we didn't do that we would have received pick 27 instead of 24... So basically Richmond strong armed us in a trade in which they had zero leverage.

That's more than concerning. Clearly teams have seen our history and so Richmond knew that there was no chance that we would hold Caddy to his contract if he asked for a trade. It's like we're playing poker and we have our cards facing up for everyone at the table to see.

For those suggesting that pick 24 is fair value for Caddy, and that those of us disagreeing are overrating him, I would argue that you are actually overrating draft picks. First round picks do not by any means guarantee a best 22 player, let alone one ranked by champion data as elite for his position. I mean, Caddy was no star. But he was a solid member of the 22. And if we're lucky the player we get at pick 24 MIGHT become a regular member of the 22... in a few years.

I picked out the 2012 first round to examine. If this year is an outlier and not an accurate reflection of other years, then I apologise. I've simply chosen it at random. There were 23 first round picks. Of those I consider 10 to be either stars or solid AFL Players. That leaves this list of 13 who are either poor or underwhelming. That's 56% of the first round.

Pick 2 O'Rourke (traded for pick 19 in 2014)
Pick 3 Plowman (traded alongside 3 mates, 2 of whom we're also first round picks, as well as pick 8 for just pick 28 and a future first...)
Pick 4 Toumpas (traded for picks 29 and 50) That's not much worse than our deal for Caddy and Toumpas is a regular SANFL player.
Pick 9 Vlastuin
Pick 11 Menzel (traded for pick 28 and Kerridge)
Pick 12 Jacksch (traded with Whiley for a 12 pick first round downgrade)
Pick 13 Lonergan
Pick 15 Garner
Pick 17 Simpson
Pick 20 Broomhead
Pick 21 Hrovat (just traded for a 3rd and 4th round pick swap.)
Pick 22 Towers
Pick 23 Paparone

C'mon Doc, you know there's a group here that are of the attitude that the club cannot be questioned. Or at least are very uncomfortable in it happening. The Caddy trade is a glowing example of this. How anyone can defend the goings on of that trade is beyond me.
I think that perception is overblown.

I can defend quite comfortably some of this trade period. Caddy is the perplexing decision.
The rest I am personally comfortable with.

In my humble opinion Geelong clearly has two of the truly elite contested ball winners in the league, in Danger and Selwood - where does Caddy fit in to that? Both demand significant midfield time and therefor Caddy is left on the periphery. If Caddy plays there he gets in their way. Now Menegola has burst on to the scene and proven himself as a quality ball-winner too.

Those two (plus Menegola) need Duncan, Motlop and the outside players to step-up and pull their weight.

I'm not surprised to see him leave, I guess the issue is the deal itself.

I think that perception is overblown.

I can defend quite comfortably some of this trade period. Caddy is the perplexing decision.
The rest I am personally comfortable with.
I do agree. I wish Carlton had lost Gibbs which would have really narrowed the gap between our first and their second round, which would have made that trade a great one, but we should still do reasonably well out of it. Of course I do rate Tuohy as an extremely important inclusion to our team. Vardy, I couldn't care less about, to be honest. But I'm not thrilled with Kersten. Him or his trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back