Official NAB 2010 Draft Rumors/Predictions/Preferences...

Remove this Banner Ad

On the other hand, we have this later in the article:

Law defended the idea of rolling out the top picks from 10 to one, rather than the traditional way of the No. 1 starting proceedings. It is designed to add suspense and stop the picks after No. 1 from losing their impact.

That might have been Law defending what happened last year, but hopefully it will also be the case this year too. As painful as having 10-1 go backwards was, it is a mile better than having 25-1 go backwards.

Designed to "add suspense"? Christ almighty. As for not taking away from selections 2 and 3, what about not taking away from selection 1, which is now the biggest anticlimax in the entire year of football?

There are two types of people who will witness this draft - those who will already know who pick #1 is going to be (and if they're unsure, they'll certainly know by the time pick #2 is announced), and those who have no idea who these kids are. If they're trying to build suspense for the second group, they're wasting their time - these people won't know who Swallow is anyway, announcing his name after a drum roll won't mean anything to them. And if they're trying to build suspense for the first group, they've done the opposite, by directing all of their focus on making a mystery out of the one part of the draft where no suspense is to be found.

Honestly, if they were that concerned about the "buzz" taking away from picks 2 and 3, why not just allow a minute between the first two picks and call for "quiet please" before continuing on. It's not that damn hard.

Red button allows

""Draft in focus will feature every single pick as it happens - you lose the panel," Fox Sports general manager Rod Law said.

"There will be a camera on each desk. You will hear the pick and there will be a graphic that gives you supporting information as well."

It will be live.

Very interested in what puts Harper ahead of those guys for you.

Seems like this year's overhyped youtube player to me. There's no doubting the X-factor there though.

Would love to hear how he compares to the likes of Smedts and Pitt for you...

The classiest midf after Swallow in my opinion. HAs everything you need in midf.
Only issue is mentality which i think neil craig will fix.
Interesting sportsnewsfirst tips us going for Crisps for WA. Doesnt even have BSmith top 20.

I haven't watched anywhere near as much juniors this year as last due to finishing my thesis, but I thought I'd give my top 30 preferences.

1 David Swallow
2 Sam Day
3 Daniel Gorringe
4 Jared Polec
5 Shaun Atley
6 Andrew Gaff
7 Dyson Heppell
8 Harley Bennell
9 Jayden Pitt
10 Josh Caddy
11 Brodie Smith
12 Billie Smedts
13 Scott Lycett
14 Matthew Watson
15 Patrick McCarthy
16 Mitch Hallahan
17 Jack Darling
18 Tom Lynch
19 Isaac Smith
20 Kieran Harper
21 Alex Fasolo
22 Seb Tape
23 Luke Parker
24 Ben Jacobs
25 Jed Lamb
26 Warwick Andreoli
27 Cameron Guthrie
28 Reece Conca
29 Jamie Cripps
30 Dion Prestia

The top 2 are daylight ahead of the rest for different reasons. Then it's pretty even down to 7 and then again down to 16.

Conca to Richmond has been mentioned a few times in the last 2 days.

There are also rumours about Heppell's OP not looking good according to the AFL doctors. Brisbane went very cold very quickly. Great shame.

With GC going for needs, so many guns are going to slip and be there at 14.
Crisps being linked is interesting. Impossible to overlook Heppell if there.
Cant believe Ess to overlook Atley.
Some clubs seem to be panicking a little. Given the eveness of the draft after pick 3 its no suprise.
In a way its good to have pick 14. Just sit back and wait who is there.
Imagine overlooking Hepp and he turns out to be the next goddard.

Late mail from the West is that you guys will be taking Jamie Cripps (East Freo). I'd imagine that would only happen if there are no sliders.

could be some truth behind that rumour...

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2010/11/17/gaff-goes-west-and-polec-north/
Adelaide is believed to be contemplating the value of classy East Fremantle outside ball-carrier Jamie Cripps while Geelong look certain to pluck clever North Ballarat winger Isaac Smith.

Cripps sounds exactly like the sound of player we love:

Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 23/04/92
Club: East Fremantle (WA)

Kevin Sheehan says: Medium defender with excellent speed who takes the game on. Uses the ball well by foot and is sound defensively. Was an under-18 representative for WA, averaging 14 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.

In his own words...

What type of player are you?
I am a half-back player, I use my speed to get the ball out of the backline. I also can play as a midfielder or in the forward line.

Well it's starting to get interesting now... Conca seems to be right in top 10 contention- he seems to be severely underrated on bigfooty for some reason, the guy had been play consistently well in the WAFL in the mid-latter part of the season. I don't think Heppell is any chance to get to us... if he doesn't get snapped up by the Gold Coast he'll definitely get taken by Melbourne I reckon. It's such an open draft this year, seems there is no sure thing in this draft except the top 5 picks.

It's the effect of GC17 having so many early picks, I reckon. Usually you can figure out, either from rumours or needs, the player that many clubs will go for. With GC17 having so many early picks, however, it gives them the flexibility to reach on a couple of them, and you don't know which ones will be available when the other clubs get a chance to select a player. It will make it quite interesting, just a pity we only have two picks :eek: Not that I'm disappointed with us having chased Tambling and Jacobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the effect of GC17 having so many early picks, I reckon. Usually you can figure out, either from rumours or needs, the player that many clubs will go for. With GC17 having so many early picks, however, it gives them the flexibility to reach on a couple of them, and you don't know which ones will be available when the other clubs get a chance to select a player. It will make it quite interesting, just a pity we only have two picks :eek: Not that I'm disappointed with us having chased Tambling and Jacobs.

Is a great draft so dissapointing we dont have more pics.
But You wont get a better player than Sam Jacobs at 33.
The interesting one is that we traded 27 for Tambl. If GHS happens to slip to that range would be interesting to see if comparisons begin between Tamb and GHS. I know the crows have GHS rated extremely high.

Is a great draft so dissapointing we dont have more pics.
But You wont get a better player than Sam Jacobs at 33.
The interesting one is that we traded 27 for Tambl. If GHS happens to slip to that range would be interesting to see if comparisons begin between Tamb and GHS. I know the crows have GHS rated extremely high.

Would Rendell rate a player as slow as Horlin-Smith that high?

Would Rendell rate a player as slow as Horlin-Smith that high?

Ive spoken to someone within the club and apprently GHS is in our top 20.
Very similar to Sidebottom. SHould go to Geelong at 23 the earliest but probably Brisbane 25. Hope he goes before 27 that way it wouldnt matter.
Cant wait for the comparisons if he goes at 27-33 range.:D
I must admit from the highlights he doesnt look anything special. But obviously he is.

I just saw highlights of Crisps, if he is a better player than B.SMith than i know nothing about footy.
Id much rather have Harper than him as well.

Just quietly FAITH it's Cripps not Crisps :). I still maintain Harper is a little overrated but that's the beauty of the draft everyone sees something different.

Just quietly FAITH it's Cripps not Crisps :). I still maintain Harper is a little overrated but that's the beauty of the draft everyone sees something different.

Sorry. I think i was shocked that we were linked to him at 14.
Harper will be one of the best players in this draft or a total flop.

Where you've got to be most cynical here is that a couple of months ago Tape was a random bloke he knew who was a few years below him, in the space of two months they became best mates for 10 years;) It's staggering how frequently that happens on BF considering it's inherent space-time difficulty!
Actually, he was in my brothers year at school, and I've always got along with his mates from that year. Seb's brother was also in my year. But hey, if you don't believe me, it really doesn't bother me.

Bunji McLeod just gave Tim Milera a surprise call to give him some advice and wish him luck for tomorrow. Legend.

Aaand if it hasn't been mentioned, Paul Daffey linked us with Browne (forgot his first name) for pick 62. Victorian half back/mid who I've never heard of :/

Remove this Banner Ad

Official NAB 2010 Draft Rumors/Predictions/Preferences...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back