Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun reporting we are only paying a third of Griffs contract next year (= to about 220k), a big difference to what the Age reported.
And we can't pay any beyond next year. Rules don't allow it.

And dave Matthews said on trade radio we were contributing to "part" of his salary. If he's on around $600k, the $220k figure sounds about right.

And we can't pay any beyond next year. Rules don't allow it.

And dave Matthews said on trade radio we were contributing to "part" of his salary. If he's on around $600k, the $220k figure sounds about right.

Herald Sun reporting it's for the next four years?

Carlton were paying for part of Fevola's contract for two years while he was at Brisbane.

Then Fev had two years remaining on his contract. Griffen only has one year.

Last edited:
Big picture now is hope Boyd ends up all he can be and we don't have an angry Stringer/Bontempelli/Macrae asking for the same contract in two years.

The figures I heard earlier in the week had the early contract years of Boyd being very high, allowing his salary to drop to 600K levels later in the contract. This should allow us to dramatically increase the contracts of the other guys as needed - most of them are locked away for a few years. I suspect the gradual increase in the cap over time will help here, as will the gradual retirement of the Murphy, Cooney, Minson etc crew.

Plus, if this brings success, they'll hopefully band together to stay successful.

Just a taste of the AFL.com.au article with Griffen's manager Nigel Carmody.

"He's a pretty loyal character."

"To go to GWS, for him, it's as far away from this Melbourne football environment that … (everyone) feeds off.

Carmody insisted Griffen didn't make his decision based on whether Brendan McCartney would continue as Bulldogs coach. He said it was "probably unfair" to blame Griffen for McCartney's subsequent resignation, and defended Griffen's decision to air his concerns to club officials.

"Ryan, as captain of the footy club and as a person, had to be honest and upfront and get that information out there," he said.

I can't stop laughing. It's very quiet in Sydney, especially at Skoda Stadium during Giants games, I hear.

Honest and upfront eh? Gee, thanks for that.

The greatest spin job since Warney was at his best. Griffen will go down as the biggest weasel in the club's history. I wish him no luck whatsoever at the Giants.

Then Fev had two years remaining on his contract. Griffen on has one year.
This. I highly doubt we'd be paying anything beyond that one year period.

Who's thinking small? Don't put words in my mouth Mutt you're better than that. I'm actually thinking more about the big picture.
Wouldn't a more prudent strategy be to build from within, amass a warchest of talent (filling all holes on our list) and then strike while the iron is hot and offer such a contract to a player in his prime and coming into free agency? We are at least two years off such a move, to do it now seems just as much about PR as actually getting the player. Looking at the big picture is hard when you get emotional, and we got emotional. I guess the solace in that is at least when we got emotional we ended up with a seriously amazing young tall forward prospect with bucket loads of potential. I just wish we didn't show our cards before we were ready to win the hand. So all in all I'm not too upset (actually I'm pretty content), and probably would've signed off on it if I was Gordon (simply to save face). I do wonder though if the calming influence of McCartney would have agreed with this move. In fact I remember you being quite against such a move earlier this year. What made you come around? In all sincerity maybe it'll help me.

Big picture now is hope Boyd ends up all he can be and we don't have an angry Stringer/Bontempelli/Macrae asking for the same contract in two years. Also hope we can unearth some quality in the second round this year that can start to fill the other holes we have. Maybe we have a plan and I'm jumping at shadows but I've supported this club my whole life and we really don't have the best luck with high risk deals. Just ask Lachlan Veale.

This is the way contracts are going now. You need to be able to lay down long terms on good money to lock away stars. Tom Boyd will be a star. Don't compare him to Jack Watts. Please.

Putting a massive contract on offer in Free Agency is wrought in danger for a club like Doggies. We've seen time and time again that players will take less money to play at a "successful" club.

Griff was leaving in any case. We did our best to salvage a shit situation and managed a great coup!

THIS was our chance to strike while the iron was hot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a surprise, Barrett sinking the boots in about the Boyd deal again and he's only been on air for two minutes. **** he's a shit stain.

Buckle up for an on-air hiding from Purple!

Can somebody ring in and yell at him again?

I won't listen, I'll just sleep better at night knowing that it's happened.

As of the last 10 mins on trade radio I hate Damien Barrett.

He actually has a problem with us surely?

-We recruited Boyd to sell hope to our fans.
-Asked if he should be compared to Riewoldt or Watts
-Huge financial risk - putting our whole future on Boyd
-Kept bringing up number 1 failures - Watts and Scully

WTF is wrong with this four-eyed ****?

Terry embarrassing him by presenting almost the same stance in a reasonable & measured way. Showing him up as the sensationalist bitter **** he is.

yeah but wallace shooting him down at every turn. More number 1's have been good to gun players then failures.

Terry embarrassing him by presenting almost the same stance in a reasonable & measured way. Showing him up as the sensationalist bitter **** he is.

Barrett's stance against the Bulldogs is now completely irrational. He is sounding like Mark Robinson - incoherent and unbalanced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back