Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just about to try and get some sleep, but decided I would watch some Tom Boyd highlights. Now I am to excited to sleep.
season 2015 hurry up.
For anyone that hasn't watched this video, give it a look. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Had to let it sink in, so stoked and happy the club took the risk. I think it looks like we paid slight overs on paper in Griffen and #6 but GWS had the better hand at the trade table, no issue with the trade of Griffen and #6 the only issue i have is the 1M per year over 7 years I understand we had to get him to request a trade over to the dogs but I think we probably could have enticed him over on 700k per year but what's done is done.

Griffen probably would of netted us #4 and #19, so essentially #4, #6 and #19 for Boyd.

I'm not just pumping Boyd up because we got him, back when everyone was raving on about how we should go after Patton (Pannalstaroz!!!) and the rumors circulating on the board that we were heavily into him i was of the opinion given the choice we should go after Boyd (although you could say that Patton pre knee vs Boyd was a flip of the coin). Patton may have fitted in better with our side due to the fact his had an extra 2 years inside the AFL system but Boyd has more talent and will be the better player IMHO, add in Pattons injuries and its a easy decision. Boyd was the biggest standout number #1 pick in the last few years and if you put him in this years draft he is considerably ahead of McCartin who is touted the best KPF in the draft and a possible #1 selection (more likely top #3). I see Boyd as that monster gorilla we have been crying out for who we will try to isolate deep in the forward line one on one and will take the oppositions best defender which allows Jones/Redpath to take the second best defender and Stringer gets to play as the third tall which means hopefully Jones/Redpath and Stringers games will improve due to the acquisition of Boyd. We just got our hands on one of the most exciting KPF prospects in the past 10 years, he is a beast who marks the ball at its highest point and can smash 60 meter set shots and is probably one of the best set shots from a young KPF I've seen. This is the power forward you build a team around and he has Libba, Bonti, Macrae and Hrovrat feeding him the ball!

If i was to rate the top 5 KPF's of the past 5 drafts in order of who I think will end up having the best careers (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) here would be my list roughly:
#1 - Jeremy Cameron
#2 - Tom Boyd
#3 - Jonathon Patton (pre injury)
#4 - Joe Daniher
#5 - Tom Lynch
Jesse Hogan would probably be next in line (rate him higher than most I think) and then Patrick McCartin.

Well done to the Doggies for having the Kahunas to conceive of this, and then make it happen.

This could be the tipping point in your squad building. Will take time, but hopefully will pay off with a flag or two for you guys.

Maybe TB will be the one kicking the goals in a GF win vs GWS. Would bring a smile to Victorian faces :)

Lol not much of a highlight tbh, you guys still could have gotten a tall kid at six and just traded griffin for 7 lol

No the Geelong grab x 2, turning Harry Taylor and having 3 Melb defenders hanging off him whilst setting up Rhys Palmer ... pretty shit for his first 9 games ;). You picked up O'Rourke and Frawley ... no need to get greedy or you blokes will be bored in the future.

So we are now reported to also be paying a substantial portion of Griff's contract for the next few years on top of pick 6. Boyd better be worth it...
I think you guys have pulled off a real coup here; high risk for a high reward,

The overs you paid ws worth it to get Griffen out of the club. His behaviour has been nothing short of disgraceful, you are well shot of him.

Good luck for 2015.

We've been crying out for Boyd since bloody Simon Beasley. I'm still yet to be convinced we've paid overs. We have a 19 year old number one draft pick at our club and we didn't completely bottom out to do it. Griff will be finished in 2 years with his back and we'll be pissing ourselves :)
It's not just Griffen that's the point. We gave up pick 6, lots of cash, and we are paying some of Griff
So we are now reported to also be paying a substantial portion of Griff's contract for the next few years on top of pick 6. Boyd better be worth it...

Yes it's why I am not as excited as I should be I guess. If true and on top of parting with 6 makes it hard to believe. I will get excited eventually I hope! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's true we can only pay for Griffens salary for next year I'll be happy, it makes sense otherwise it would open a bit of a can of worms paying someone's new contract at a different club, under your salary cap.

As much as I still believe Maccas plan was to develop the talls in the 2s before eventually bringing them in and playing a tall line up, we can pretty much gaurantee that whatever coach we bring in won't care about that and we will start playing to a proper structure from round 1, so will be interesting to see how that goes.

Some good perspective.

1. Griffs value was around pick 4.
2. We threw in pick 6 as well.
3. St kilda just knocked back 4 and 7 for pick 1, so in their mind, pick 1 is better than 4 and 7.
4. Boyd would go number 1 in this draft in a nano-second.

Guys, this is a win. And don't stress about the cap space thing. Higgins, cooney and jones will earn more than $1mill a year between them next year. I know what I'd rather be spending my cap space on.

Plenty of $$$ left to land Carlisle and still keep all the kids happy.

Boys for all of you who think what we paid is overs, I have two numbers for you, 2200 and 88,000. First number is the number of posts in this thread, the second is the number of views.

In 3 days.

Don't tell me he hasn't got the masses excited. Don't tell me that won't have a beneficial effect on membership. what a day, what a decision. Kudos Peter Gordon.

I know everyone is freaked out about the money we are paying firstly part of Griffin's salary and of course the reputed $1mil a year for Boyd.

Simple maths we have no high salaries at the moment due to our list being so young or having veterans. Griffen was our highest paid player then possibly Minno and Cooney who is going anyway.

We either use it ir lose it, front ending Boyd's contract will ensure we have the money for Bonti et al when their contract is up for renewal.

Boyd is on the rookie salary next year as per the AFL regulations hence why they probably said they would pay Griff's salary.

Probably been said a million times.

Suss trade. just passable.
Ridiculous contract. Just madness. Could be a massive handbrake for you guys in a few years.

Contracts are increasing every year by the time Boyd is in to his 7th year he will be massively under-paid. Glad you are happy for us,

I know everyone is freaked out about the money we are paying firstly part of Griffin's salary and of course the reputed $1mil a year for Boyd.

Simple maths we have no high salaries at the moment due to our list being so young or having veterans. Griffen was our highest paid player then possibly Minno and Cooney who is going anyway.

We either use it ir lose it, front ending Boyd's contract will ensure we have the money for Bonti et al when their contract is up for renewal.

Boyd is on the rookie salary next year as per the AFL regulations hence why they probably said they would pay Griff's salary.
No way we could get to the minimum salary cap spend without contributing to griffens salary. Not an issue IMO.

All fair enough, but I don't know, maybe I'm just being silly and resistant to change.
But I would've felt more comfortable with Griffen for Wright and then having a massive crack at Boyd, Cameron and Carlisle at the end of next year. Or whoever comes into Free agency in 2016.
Happy to be completely wrong and Wright and McCartin end up so-so and Boyd ends up a Jonathan Brown type superstar and in that case who gives a flying **** what we paid for him.
But you're competing with every other club then. And some clubs have more cache than us, let's be honest. We have set in motion a period that will make us a destination club, on the back of one very ballsy decision. History will be our friend.

Mate absolutely hope you are right. And I agree that the PR move was a good strategy for the supporters, I'm not sure of it's effect long-term though.

Not many would've been able to pay as much as us. Actually about two by my count. And both are in a worse position on-field than us. We would've got one of those players.
Honestly though, I've said my piece and will endeavour to forget my misgivings and support the club with gusto.
That's not the point. Would they have had to pay that much to be in the game? Frawley was offered a lot more by Freo than he accepted at Hawthorn. A bidding war is a game we didn't want to get into.

Lol not much of a highlight tbh, you guys still could have gotten a tall kid at six and just traded griffin for 7 lol

Surprise, surprise an arrogant Hawks supporter.

How about paying 600k to a C grade hack defender who was embarrassed by an 18-year-old playing his eighth game?

Now kindly f*** off.

Had to let it sink in, so stoked and happy the club took the risk. I think it looks like we paid slight overs on paper in Griffen and #6 but GWS had the better hand at the trade table, no issue with the trade of Griffen and #6 the only issue i have is the 1M per year over 7 years I understand we had to get him to request a trade over to the dogs but I think we probably could have enticed him over on 700k per year but what's done is done.

Griffen probably would of netted us #4 and #19, so essentially #4, #6 and #19 for Boyd.

I'm not just pumping Boyd up because we got him, back when everyone was raving on about how we should go after Patton (Pannalstaroz!!!) and the rumors circulating on the board that we were heavily into him i was of the opinion given the choice we should go after Boyd (although you could say that Patton pre knee vs Boyd was a flip of the coin). Patton may have fitted in better with our side due to the fact his had an extra 2 years inside the AFL system but Boyd has more talent and will be the better player IMHO, add in Pattons injuries and its a easy decision. Boyd was the biggest standout number #1 pick in the last few years and if you put him in this years draft he is considerably ahead of McCartin who is touted the best KPF in the draft and a possible #1 selection (more likely top #3). I see Boyd as that monster gorilla we have been crying out for who we will try to isolate deep in the forward line one on one and will take the oppositions best defender which allows Jones/Redpath to take the second best defender and Stringer gets to play as the third tall which means hopefully Jones/Redpath and Stringers games will improve due to the acquisition of Boyd. We just got our hands on one of the most exciting KPF prospects in the past 10 years, he is a beast who marks the ball at its highest point and can smash 60 meter set shots and is probably one of the best set shots from a young KPF I've seen. This is the power forward you build a team around and he has Libba, Bonti, Macrae and Hrovrat feeding him the ball!

If i was to rate the top 5 KPF's of the past 5 drafts in order of who I think will end up having the best careers (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) here would be my list roughly:
#1 - Jeremy Cameron
#2 - Tom Boyd
#3 - Jonathon Patton (pre injury)
#4 - Joe Daniher
#5 - Tom Lynch
Jesse Hogan would probably be next in line (rate him higher than most I think) and then Patrick McCartin.
I said at the time that I wanted to go after Patton because he was the one of the 3 who was "gettable". I think I also said that I wasn't sold on Boyd. Amazing how a change of jumper changes your mind :)

Yep agree. Said that yesterday. There's lots in the pot for everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back