Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this is one hell of a coup. I just hope for your sake he turns into the player he could be. It just leaves me wondering, if you're getting rid of the senior players who weren't happy and you've got one of the best young groups in the competition, why would you get rid of the guy recognised as one of the best development coaches in the game? Surely it was McCartney or Griffen that had to go, not both. I just feel that McCartney working with this group of young men could've achieved amazing things.

Pretty excited with the outcome for 3 reason
1 Understand our culture is under question and rightly so, but surely we must be an exciting coaching prospect
2 adds ANOTHER reason for supporters to get to the games and support the young group
3 I am really going to enjoy going to the GWS game and give griffin heaps! I think it would create a great atmosphere, hope they play it in Melbourne!

Wow, went to sleep for a 2 hour nap after studying all day
Wake up check phone see the title is changed to OFFICIAL nearly scream.....
find out we paid Griffen and pick 6 which was a bit disappointing but still very, very happy we got our man even if we overpaid. Would of preferred going into the draft with #4 and #6 though with huge amounts of money for free agents.

How long ago was the announcement made?

Can i get a rundown on the deal? 6 or 7 years? how much $$?

Yes heard that too...it's not a balanced deal.....that is fact. It's not a great deal by no stretch, time will tell of course. But we have to be happy to have Boyd.

In 7 years time Boyd will be on a salary that will be pretty average for any good AFL player. Boyd will do wonders for our memberships and sponsors. Look at the whole picture.

I don't care if I'm 23, I'm sitting around the house with my Bulldogs jumper on and no one can stop me today!

It might be a touch of overs, but my god did this club prove something today. We can throw our weight around, we're not to be trifled with and we can and will land the big fish when we want to badly enough.

Welcome Tommy Boyd!

Stringer Boyd Crameri
Dalhouse Redpath Campbell

Convert the giant vfl setup that we had going on this year into the afl. Looks pretty exciting to me!

Broadcast rights up again from 2017 - Should be a 10-20% increase on the $1.25b for the last 5 years. http://www.worldofwookie.com/aflbusiness/?page_id=522

Should see player payments rise by similar ie by 2017 player payments should top up $12ml per annum. Therefore if all reports of a $1ml salary are correct then the percentage of the total cap are significantly less ie from 10% to 8.3%. What might seem high now wont be as much in the years to come.

Well this is one hell of a coup. I just hope for your sake he turns into the player he could be. It just leaves me wondering, if you're getting rid of the senior players who weren't happy and you've got one of the best young groups in the competition, why would you get rid of the guy recognised as one of the best development coaches in the game? Surely it was McCartney or Griffen that had to go, not both. I just feel that McCartney working with this group of young men could've achieved amazing things.
Bring McCartney back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 7 years time Boyd will be on a salary that will be pretty average for any good AFL player. Boyd will do wonders for our memberships and sponsors. Look at the whole picture.
You can spin it however you like....but we got smashed. I want Boyd, the alternative may well have been worse. But no one can say this is a great deal. I will get behind Boyd don't worry.

God the main board is a negative shitfeast. We paid overs, we get it. Griffen wanted out, they're talking as if we pushed him.

As far as I'm concerned we did 4, 6 and Buntine for Boyd. Griffen was never coming back to the club.

I don't care if I'm 23, I'm sitting around the house with my Bulldogs jumper on and no one can stop me today!

It might be a touch of overs, but my god did this club prove something today. We can throw our weight around, we're not to be trifled with and we can and will land the big fish when we want to badly enough.

Welcome Tommy Boyd!

Nah, he's a whale.

Yeah.....we stuffed it up. No doubt. But we have done it. We have to move on.

God the main board is a negative shitfeast. We paid overs, we get it. Griffen wanted out, they're talking as if we pushed him.

As far as I'm concerned we did 4, 6 and Buntine for Boyd. Griffen was never coming back to the club.
Boys, yes, we paid more than we wanted to. BUT if Boyd kicks 700 goals and plays for 13 years, who gives a heck??????

You can spin it however you like....but we got smashed. I want Boyd, the alternative may well have been worse. But no one can say this is a great deal. I will get behind Boyd don't worry.

Did you really think we would ever get Boyd for a straight swap for Griffen? You've got to be kidding. Anyone who thinks that Ryan Griffen is as valuable as Tom Boyd has no idea.

Had we continued to offer up a packet of chips at the trade table each year we would never have landed the franchise player we need up forward.

In the early 90's, Alastair Lynch signed a 10 year, $1 million dollar contract (total - not per year).

By the end of the 90's, it had to be renegotiated as he was receiving far less than he should have been.

Point is - what is expensive now, won't be in seven years' time.

Bring McCartney back!

This!!!

For me, I'm still most disappointed at McCartney leaving (considered that worse than Griff when the news broke).

Don't think there's any chance he comes back unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back