Our next month = 0-4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last played there in 2008. Won't pretend to remember the game but Porps kicked 5 and Knights had 27 disposals.

Edit: to the above we'd just lost 6 in a row, including the Showdown the week before.

With one arm dragging on the ground behind him. Was the game that truely made the yobs in Vic give Porps the credit he deserved. From memory it was an absolute shizen night and we pinched it with the Porps carrying the side on his one good shoulder. Don't know the record at the SCG, but from memory its pretty good in the last 5 years.

Carlton at Etihad is kinder than Carlton at the MCG. Betts, Yarran and Garlett would destroy us as the wide open expanses of the G, but the more confined nature of Etihad, meant we pushed them very close last year. I reckon Collingwood will be the one to demolish us to make a statement.

With one arm dragging on the ground behind him. Was the game that truely made the yobs in Vic give Porps the credit he deserved. From memory it was an absolute shizen night and we pinched it with the Porps carrying the side on his one good shoulder. Don't know the record at the SCG, but from memory its pretty good in the last 5 years.

Was there to all games since 2000, little did I know that the Porpoise show would be the last trip to the SCG for four long years. I think it will be a sellout next week so will have to book tomorrow. The Crow supporters in NSW will turn up in droves (If they can remember the way) :eek:

I would suggest a good portion of the current 22 have never played at the SCG so the old days of Crows dominance over Sydney may be a thing of the past.
But its been so long since the last game and for a lot of expats it's a long drive into Sydney, I would be very disappointed to see anything less than their best effort.

Was there to all games since 2000, little did I know that the Porpoise show would be the last trip to the SCG for four long years. I think it will be a sellout next week so will have to book tomorrow. The Crow supporters in NSW will turn up in droves (If they can remember the way) :eek:

I would suggest a good portion of the current 22 have never played at the SCG so the old days of Crows dominance over Sydney may be a thing of the past.
But its been so long since the last game and for a lot of expats it's a long drive into Sydney, I would be very disappointed to see anything less than their best effort.

Doughty, Rutten, Johncock, Thompson, Tippett and Mackay only, plus Porplyzia, Vince, Douglas, Symes and Knights from outside today's 22. Otten and Petrenko were both emergencies in that 2008 game, but did not play, and obviously did not play prior.

Just for shits n giggles, here's the teams from the last time we faced Sydney at the SCG, round 18 2008, bolded players no longer with either team

SYDNEY SWANS v ADELAIDE
Sydney Swans
B: Paul Bevan, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Martin Mattner
HB: Craig Bolton, Ted Richards, Tadhg Kennelly
C: Kieren Jack, Jarrad McVeigh, Craig Bird
HF: Ryan O’Keefe, Adam Goodes, Luke Ablett
F: Henry Playfair, Barry Hall, Jarred Moore
Foll: Darren Jolly, Brett Kirk, Jude Bolton
I/C: Peter Everitt, Heath Grundy, Nick Malceski, Matthew O'Dwyer
EMG: Luke Brennan, Ben Mathews, Nick Smith

Adelaide
B: Kris Massie, Ben Rutten, Nathan Bassett
HB: Brad Symes, Nathan Bock, Michael Doughty
C: Nathan van Berlo, Simon Goodwin, Bernie Vince
HF: Andrew McLeod, Nick Gill, Richard Douglas
F: Jason Porplyzia, Kurt Tippett, Chris Knights
Foll: Ivan Maric, Scott Thompson, Tyson Edwards
I/C: Robert Shirley, David Mackay, Scott Stevens, Bryce Campbell
EMG: Brad Moran, Andy Otten, Jared Petrenko

Fair bit of turnover from both sides

Swans could be a win, we usually play well against them, even at the SCG, although they're in great form.

Geelong at home is winnable, so is Collingwood at home, neither of those teams are tearing it up right now.

Carton away will be a loss I think though.

I can see us winning 2 games. Sydney is a possibility and we have played well against Geelong recently. The Cats also don't seem to be in the same vein of form as last year and we've also got the added bonus of a little inside knowledge...

We will probably be beaten by Carlton. Collingwood are under pressure at the moment and there's talk of a rift between Bucks and some of his players. Port pushed them pretty close.

If we're 6-3 I'll be a very happy man. :thumbsu:

I think we will beat the swans.

we have a 10-5 win/loss record at the SCG

we have 21-10 overall win/loss record vs sydney

since 2002 there have 13 matches, crows won 11 of the 13. the two games we lost we missed the finals those years.

to have a winning record when we have the bye, this game is a must win along with one win against geelong or collingwood at home.

We will beat Sydney and Geelong IMO. Don't write us off against this new-look Collingwood team either. All of those games are winnable if we play with the sort of effort we put in against Port

I serious can't believe the "Glass is Half Empty" view by many posters.

Swans - we have a great record against and the SCG holds no fear for us, yes the Swans are undefeated however like us if you take a look at their games they have played in patches so we will get our chances.

Geelong - we touched them up at home last year and I can see no reason why we can't do the same this year

Carlton - the toughest of the four matches however our record is ok against them

Collingwood - this year is the right time to get them as they are struggling with injuries and have been far from convincing

I think we will split the next month 2-2 which will leave us well placed

Finally I think people have taken our wins for granted, it's certainly more difficult to blow sides away now that more teams are playing that inside contested game and I have no doubt we have improved as we are ranked #1 for contested ball and their are certainly wins this year were we would have folded in 2011, in particular WB and Port.

We are also seeing the improvement in Tex, Sloane, Danger, Jacobs, Pets etc

Folks the glass is half full not half empty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm strangely quietly confident against Sydney ? Dont know why just a feeling - Making the trip over so hopefully will come back with a win ! Will need Walker to not be rubbed out though, their defence aint that tall. Also need a tag on Kennedy.

Geelong - you would think Sando & Dasher would be able to get the match ups right - I'm confident there too.

Carlton - hmm, but IF we are 6 and 1 confidence will be high

Collingwood - I reckon its a 50/50 now, although they'll start to get a lot of their better players back.

I serious can't believe the "Glass is Half Empty" view by many posters.

Swans - we have a great record against and the SCG holds no fear for us, yes the Swans are undefeated however like us if you take a look at their games they have played in patches so we will get our chances.

Geelong - we touched them up at home last year and I can see no reason why we can't do the same this year

Carlton - the toughest of the four matches however our record is ok against them

Collingwood - this year is the right time to get them as they are struggling with injuries and have been far from convincing

I think we will split the next month 2-2 which will leave us well placed

Finally I think people have taken our wins for granted, it's certainly more difficult to blow sides away now that more teams are playing that inside contested game and I have no doubt we have improved as we are ranked #1 for contested ball and their are certainly wins this year were we would have folded in 2011, in particular WB and Port.

We are also seeing the improvement in Tex, Sloane, Danger, Jacobs, Pets etc

Folks the glass is half full not half empty

Amazing isn't it? Things can chage so quickly in sport. Some momentum and confidence and anything can happen. You would think being Adelaide supporters we would understand that more than anyone after we came from nowhere to win in 97 and our efforts in 2005. We have so much upside on our list and we have an incredible draw....

IF we can win 2 or 3 out of the next 5 games we will play finals football, no doubt. I think that would be a fantastic result for Sando who promised us a spike... But, that will not be enough for some Bigfooty experts

I'm strangely quietly confident against Sydney ? Dont know why just a feeling - Making the trip over so hopefully will come back with a win ! Will need Walker to not be rubbed out though, their defence aint that tall. Also need a tag on Kennedy.

Geelong - you would think Sando & Dasher would be able to get the match ups right - I'm confident there too.

Carlton - hmm, but IF we are 6 and 1 confidence will be high

Collingwood - I reckon its a 50/50 now, although they'll start to get a lot of their better players back.

Collingwood won't have Reid, Ball, Krakouer or Macaffer, not to mention Didak looks shot and Jolly's best is behind him

Amazing isn't it? Things can chage so quickly in sport. Some momentum and confidence and anything can happen. You would think being Adelaide supporters we would understand that more than anyone after we came from nowhere to win in 97 and our efforts in 2005. We have so much upside on our list and we have an incredible draw....

IF we can win 2 or 3 out of the next 5 games we will play finals football, no doubt. I think that would be a fantastic result for Sando who promised us a spike... But, that will not be enough for some Bigfooty experts
We've been chasing the impossible dream since 2007. Best 22, make the finals and anything can happen, remember 1997... heard it every year.

Have we really made any ground on the top four in all that time by doing what we're doing? The Hawthorn game says no.

I know what you're saying - we've got a good draw, have skipped away to a decent start and the Geelong/Collingwoods look like they are coming back to the pack a little. From that point of view it would be silly not to go all out to win every game.

If we get touched up in the next month though I hope we are prepared to make some really tough calls. If we emerge as a genuine contender - then hats off, I was wrong, all power to Craig/Sando.

What I don't want is for us to stumble through the next month then invest everything in winning the easier matches in the 2nd half of the year so we can scrape into the finals to make up numbers. Would be Craig Failings 2007-11 all over again.

We've been chasing the impossible dream since 2007. Best 22, make the finals and anything can happen, remember 1997... heard it every year.

Have we really made any ground on the top four in all that time by doing what we're doing? The Hawthorn game says no.

I know what you're saying - we've got a good draw, have skipped away to a decent start and the Geelong/Collingwoods look like they are coming back to the pack a little. From that point of view it would be silly not to go all out to win every game.

If we get touched up in the next month though I hope we are prepared to make some really tough calls. If we emerge as a genuine contender - then hats off, I was wrong, all power to Craig/Sando.

What I don't want is for us to stumble through the next month then invest everything in winning the easier matches in the 2nd half of the year so we can scrape into the finals to make up numbers. Would be Craig Failings 2007-11 all over again.

Firstly, only one team out of 18 will win a flag this year. They arent easy to come by and odds are you are going to fail. So yes, we have been chasing the dream since 2007, as have most clubs...

I agree with your thoughts though. The first 5 games of this year was all about getting to 4-1. Not only have we done that we have kept our injury count at a decent level. The season begins now!

The next 5 weeks is everything. It will show us where we are at. I honestly think we could go 0-5 and still play finals. But then we would be wasting everyones time. If we do lost the next 5, play the kids by all means... If we can be competitve in the 5 games and sneak a couple of wins, game on!

the question has to be asked, what is acceptable?

obviously 0-5 is completely not, and going 5-0 is probably while very optimistic, completely unrealistic..

2-3 or 3-2?

Really looking forward to the next block of games which should give us a better assessment of where the side is at. Expecting to get touched up a couple of times but also hoping to snag a couple of wins.

the question has to be asked, what is acceptable?

obviously 0-5 is completely not, and going 5-0 is probably while very optimistic, completely unrealistic..

2-3 or 3-2?

2-3 would be a good result. Leaving us 6-4 with an incredible run home.
3-2 and at 7-3 after 10 games, we are a chance for top 4.... But that is pie in the sky stuff as I would be very surprised to see us win those 3 games

The thing is, if we do make the finals, even if we lose in the first week, it will give the players and coaches the knowledge that we've improved and are heading in the right direction as opposed to backwards or stagnating, also guys like Danger and Tippo will be alot keener to sign if we make the 8.

The thing is, if we do make the finals, even if we lose in the first week, it will give the players and coaches the knowledge that we've improved and are heading in the right direction as opposed to backwards or stagnating, also guys like Danger and Tippo will be alot keener to sign if we make the 8.
I admit it's a fine line.

To be honest, if we squeeze out a couple more senior players or early 20 somethings we decide just aren't up to it for Kerridge and Lyons I don't think that will be the difference between us finishing 10th/11th and sneaking into the 8.

I reckon that if we get taken apart by the Top 4 teams and decide to just soldier on that Tippett/Dangerfield will be tempted to leave, even if we do manage to sneak into the 8 by beating up on easy teams.

You can tolerate making up numbers in the 8 if the team you're in is on the way up compared to your competitors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our next month = 0-4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back