Ox made an arse of himself...again

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't like listening to him. When he painfully struggles to construct some sort of profound observation on the state of the game i shudder.

Kangaroos player hits the post from a set shot in the last quarter

Ox: "Well, that pretty much sums up the Kangaroos day, doesn't it?"

NO IT DOESN'T. It would have summed up their day if he had have hit the post, then the post cracks in half and falls on the Roos player because he isn't quick enough to move out the way and none of his teammates are warning him that he's about to be crushed. Then the post would have to tap Lloyd on the shoulder who falls over winning a free kick.
I started to actually LOL before I'd even finished reading that.

Agreed. Ox is terrible. it seems to me bruce and commetti did not need him at all today and spent most of the day laughing at him. his input was useless. he contradicts himself and his fellow commentators all the time.
Harding lining up for goal
bruce "he's won norths goal kicking before"
ox "..yeh hes not a proven goal kicker"
bruce and dennis...silence
this is just one example of many
these acts of idiocy should not have him on the air

Saying the goal umpire should have hit the post before he signalled a behind in the last quarter when Shannon Grant hit the post.

Ox, if you had been watching football at all last year, you would have known that this has been common practice for a while now. The goal umpires are instructed to signal a behind, then tap the post.

Come on, if you are going to be a special comments man, at least sort of know what you're talking about

I couldnt believe it when he said that about the goal umpire aswell. I dont understand how someone whose profession is watching and understanding AFL footy could have missed the goal umpires doing that all last year.

He is a nuff, no two ways about it. How was it when he kept trying to say he liked McPhee's haircut. You could tell Commetti and Bruce heard it the first time but didnt know what to say. But then he kept trying to bring it up and it was just really awkward. They were probably thinking that A) it is quite homoeroctic and B) even if it is a good haircut, what has it got to go with the game.

No doubt Ox's special comments are just that much more 'special' than most. Special in the way that handicapped children are special.

Blew his load after a goal from Davey. Bruce commentated "that was special".

His other piece of insight today was to proclaim "this is a game of football"
hahah, I noticed that as well, was an exceptionally special comment! He is just not suited to AFL commentating, nice bloke and all, but that is no justification for being a fully fledged commentator on channel 7..... there have to be better special comments out there no doubt?

Well mate, considering Cometti is probably the best TV announcer since Lou Richards in the 70s - I politely disagree.

Also, you might want to consider he had a hand in getting Darren Bewick to West Perth, who obviously later went to Essendon.

Oh yeah, apparently Cometti's eldest son is a mad keen Bombers boy.

He still holds the record for the most goals kicked in 7 games of WAFL Footy from memory, and was a good coach with West Perth.

So... I think he does have a CLUE.

Darren Bewick? Who's he? ;)

As I have said in my opinion it is not demonstrated in his calls. And to your Lou Richards comment I very politely disagree.

I should backtrack. Dennis obviously does have a clue about footy, but then again so does David Schwarz.

Do I think he is a good commentator. Not the worst, but not a fan. Seven struggle in general.

Saying the goal umpire should have hit the post before he signalled a behind in the last quarter when Shannon Grant hit the post.

Ox, if you had been watching football at all last year, you would have known that this has been common practice for a while now. The goal umpires are instructed to signal a behind, then tap the post.

Come on, if you are going to be a special comments man, at least sort of know what you're talking about
I think its obvious what happened. He had a stab in the dark, a bit of a gamble. And it made him look bad. Not the first time in his life.
It has to be said!

Finally an "Ox bashing" thread. This guy is a joke. Probably the worst commentator on TV. Apart from these comments pretty much everything has been said. "This is a game of football"- Cheers Ox.

The Ox is easily the worst commentator of all time. His special comments are so devoid of anything special, it becomes like comedy to see what he will say next. There are no tactical or positional insights. His most in-depth analysis of the game was when he used the "number of interchanges" stat to infer that Knights had worked things better than Laidley. But he gave no insight how or why. It was just pure crap. Reading the stats off a page and drawing a sketchy conclusion.

His comments make Ch 7's coverage seem like going to the game with your mates. Bad jokes, outrageous statements, barracking, abusing the umpires, laughing inanely whenever someone does something good (please Ox, in case you're reading this, stop doing that laugh...)

Why does Ch 7 think that this is the type of coverage we want?
If they are going to go down the "entertainment" street when it comes to commentary, then why not get Mick Molloy or Dave Hughes to sit next to Bruce?

ox was awful today, just awful, but still didn't match bruce calling the medal the "carey hird medal"

:D

Things would be so much better for everyone if Arch had walked in on Bruce and Carey in the toilet all those years ago.

"This is a game of football"- Cheers Ox.

Another pointless Ox comment which I think he's picked up from Dermie, who picked it up from the NFL or NBA commnetators is the use of the phrase:

"He is playing SOME football game"

I think it means he is playing a very good game. Not sure though.
Ox was very light on for details.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great thread.

Ox is a terrible commentator/special comments man.

Did anyone else notice that he continued saying how fantastic a game McVeigh was having, notwithstanding the fact that he probably got 20 possessions from cheap uncontested ball in the backline.

Far and away the worst commentator in the game.

Did anyone else notice that he continued saying how fantastic a game McVeigh was having, notwithstanding the fact that he probably got 20 possessions from cheap uncontested ball in the backline.

McVeigh was easily our best on ground, and when was he known for getting cheap, uncontested possesions? Won the game for us in all four quarters.

Never struggles to amuse me.
Longergan runs into a tackle, "GONE!" then the next thing you know Lovett - Murry has the ball and kicks a goal.
Or when A Kangas player kicked the ball to Petrie who was standing behind an Essendon player. "You know that isn't an easy kick. Not only do you have to kick it behind the opposition player but you have to kick it into space"
Captain obvious saves the day!

2i0ejpk.jpg

Have Theo X and Timmy ever commentated on the same game ?

Can you just imagine how boring and dull it would be.

Maybe 7 can poach Tom Pietrovski from Commsec and get the three worst performers on telly all together and see who can out mumbe and fumble each other...

Listened to Gary Lyon doing special comments on MMM on Saturday afternoon. Probably the best special comments caller going around at the moment.

Whenever he spoke it was nearly always some to do with the tactical battles within the game and key matchups as they evolved throughout the match. Not only did he describe what was going on but also suggested moves and tactical changes that could assist each side.

Basically he thinks like a coach and is able to articulate his thoughts concisely and very clearly. He was both interesting and entertaining to listen to.

Compare that to the sort of rubbish that Ox spouts every single week.
- No tactical understanding of the game, never mind insight.
- Ridiculous, wild, stupid statements without basis or logic.
- States the bleeding obvious constantly
- Bovine ejaculatory moaning throughout the match when something exciting happens.

His skillset is more suited to a bogan sitting in the outer than being special comments caller. Any wonder the halfwit bankrupted himself gambling... he has the unfortunate combination of being unintelligent, lazy and arrogant.

great post, special comments men are there to tell us what we cant see, ie who is tagging who, behind the play stuff, all that kind of shit, ox just calls what we watched on tv...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ox made an arse of himself...again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back