Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

I did not mean to imply Zak doesn't play for the jumper if that's how it came across. I cannot stand the 'love Kenny' stuff. It's totally irrelevant to any conversation about a coach's performance and it's frankly nauseating.

It's not irrelevant... but its not the be all and end all.

Maybe, maybe not. By all reports, Blight was an ****hole. At the end of the day, did it matter?
I've heard (and seen) he could be brutal, but not that he was an arseh*le, and I reckon there is a difference.

Maybe its all just semantics.

What was he fines for, sneezing near an umpire?

Seriously this is becoming a joke.

They make him sound like a Peaky Blinder.

How does a player who bumps another player when the ball is within 5 metres get fined. So the bumped player was not expecting the bump. It has always been the responsibility of a player to be aware of what is going on within the area of play, which has always been 5 metres - or am I getting old?

100% this.
The ball was in play, you are allowed to bump/block another player legally if the ball is within 5m. Boak jumps to intercept/block a high hand ball & gets his ribs broken but play on/no fine all within the rules.
Should be raised by the media but they won’t.

Its not real money anyway is it, just comes out of the salary cap. No point disputing it.

Could you imagine a rookie having to pay $36,000 out of their own pocket for random shit like accidentally running into an umpire?

How does a player who bumps another player when the ball is within 5 metres get fined. So the bumped player was not expecting the bump. It has always been the responsibility of a player to be aware of what is going on within the area of play, which has always been 5 metres - or am I getting old?
I was going to ask the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby Green and Zac Butters.

2 Victorians playing for interstate teams.

Both in Leadership groups, captain and vice captain.

Both match winners and walk up first few picked in any team.

Both consistently fined for any minor indiscretion that are quite possibly not worth citing.

Guarantee you if they played for a Victorian team there would be nothing to see here.

If he was your average shyt player he wouldn’t cop as much niggle.
He’s going to have this all his footy life and has to understand the more you react the more you’re going to cop.
It’s only a matter of time before he gets suspended, this is a coaches job to step in get him thinking through this before a suspension comes.

That is actually ****ing disgusting. The first one, just give the freekick and move on.
I’m done, between Hinkley and this… we have lost our club and we have lost our game…

Ball is within 5 meters, the Richmond player is on the move either to be an outlet, Zac is providing Defensive cover or the player is belining Zac and Zac has braced expecting contact (alright he changes direction to cause collision) but after the last two months of what he has copped you would expect a whack at stoppage.

This game has gone completely mad, a contact sport anyone could once find a role is now watered down to a game for the best athletes from the private schools to aspire to spend a few years on a list.

And I do understand there is a duty of care for the AFL, but there needs to be more common sense and accountability, self awareness. This is why Tackking techniques went out the window, players started leading with their heads and engaging in dangerous actions that have put themselves at risk, because we as a society look to pass the blame for our mistakes. We are done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back