Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

It just means they didn't prioritise those player like they did for Sinn a couple of drafts later.

The List Management Team will burn a 2nd rounder to move up a few spots to get their guy. They didn't feel a need in that draft.

I love Kossi Pickett but I'm pretty happy with Bergman.
I'll try and help out here.
When we traded Dougal to st kilda for pick 18 we also threw in Paddy Ryder and downgraded our pick 10 to their pick 12. Those two picks dropped down 2 places and Pickett and Day were taken with the 2 picks immefiately prior to ours. If we'd kept our original pick in the trade we could have selected either of those players. By being unnecessarily generous in the trade we cost ourselves the opportunity to pick one of those arguably more talented players.
That is what Shultzy is refering to by saying we were bitches in the trade

Edit - re your post that you got in before my response. You acknowleged the trade but seem to have still missed his point

I'll try and help out here.
When we traded Dougal to st kilda for pick 18 we also threw in Paddy Ryder and downgraded our pick 10 to their pick 12. Those two picks dropped down 2 places and Pickett and Day were taken with the 2 picks immefiately prior to ours. If we'd kept our original pick in the trade we could have selected either of those players. By being unnecessarily generous in the trade we cost ourselves the opportunity to pick one of those arguably more talented players.
That is what Shultzy is refering to by saying we were bitches in the trade

Edit - re your post that you got in before my response. You acknowleged the trade but seem to have still missed his point

Yeah, I get it, I guess I just think the b* word is a bit harsh here.

Pickett or Day against Bergman and Georgiades

I guess it depends on how Bergman and Georgiades come on.

Thinking a bit more about The Berg as a run with player, he would do a lot better job on Nick Daicos than Lachie Jones tried to do last year. This year I reckon we just let Daicos do as he pleased with no one assigned to sit on him.
Daicos has incredible running ability and speed. Once he's ahead of you, there's no catching him.

I don't think Bergman is the right match up for him as he won't be able to keep up with the constant running at pace.

Jones was obviously a ploy to try and rough him up, as I don't think he has the engine to go with him either.

I don't think we have a good match up for him unfortunately. In years past, I would have suggested someone like a Burton - but he seems to have completely lost his engine this season.

Possibly DBJ.

Daicos has incredible running ability and speed. Once he's ahead of you, there's no catching him.

I don't think Bergman is the right match up for him as he won't be able to keep up with the constant running at pace.

Jones was obviously a ploy to try and rough him up, as I don't think he has the engine to go with him either.

I don't think we have a good match up for him unfortunately. In years past, I would have suggested someone like a Burton - but he seems to have completely lost his engine this season.

Possibly DBJ.
Bergman is an ex 400m runner. He has the athletic ability to keep up with him.

Yeah, I get it, I guess I just think the b* word is a bit harsh here.

Pickett or Day against Bergman and Georgiades

I guess it depends on how Bergman and Georgiades come on.
Georgiades is irrelevant though. Pick 18 for Dougal and Paddy should have been enough for that trade - which is what we used to pick him.
I like Bergman as a player and am not really dwelling on missing out on one of the other two. However I agree that we gave up more than we needed to in the trade

We did not get pick 18 (Mitch Georgiades) from saints!

That was brisbanes 1st rounder (originally I think pick 16? Before moving back).

We traded a future 1st for that.

The pick 18 we got back moved to pick 20, then we traded it back, and then used it on Dylan Williams.

Yes and pick 18 moved back to pick 20 (or later) after compo / priority / academy picks. Was eventually the pick we used on Dylan Williams.

The pick 18 we used at the draft to select Mitch was traded in on draft night by trading our future first for Brisbane’s 1st. We were looking to jump ahead and select Mitch before Geelong , who wanted Mitch with their 1st which came before the pick we had (and used on Williams)

Yes and pick 18 moved back to pick 20 (or later) after compo / priority / academy picks. Was eventually the pick we used on Dylan Williams.

The pick 18 we used at the draft to select Mitch was traded in on draft night by trading our future first for Brisbane’s 1st. We were looking to jump ahead and select Mitch before Geelong , who wanted Mitch with their 1st which came before the pick we had (and used on Williams)

Ahh right, i was looking through the history trying to figure out what happened to pick 18, that makes sense now

In the interest of fairness, lets have a look at the trade and leave it at that.
These can be a bit tough to work out.
Apparently so, since you list us as getting Mitch Georgiades with the pick we got in the trade, but once you take father son/NGA bidding into account we actually got him from a pick trade we did with Brisbane. We got Dylan Williams with the second pick we got in the Dougal trade (plus a subsequent further trade on draft day where we dropped the pick a couple of spots).

So, in summary, Pickett/Day for Bergman = big downgrade, and Howard + Ryder for Williams = potentially could have been a breakeven or even a win had we not shit the bed so hard with Williams' development this year, but given that we did indeed shit the bed with Williams' development and he looks odds on to be delisted, big downgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting anything for mega spud Howard and cooked Ryder was a win.
'Cooked' Ryder still played plenty of football in 2020. 'Cooked Ryder instead of mega spud Lycett having the worst quarter of all time in the final quarter of the 2020 PF may have singlehandedly been the difference in us winning a flag or not winning a flag.

'Cooked' Ryder still played plenty of football in 2020. 'Cooked Ryder instead of mega spud Lycett having the worst quarter of all time in the final quarter of the 2020 PF may have singlehandedly been the difference in us winning a flag or not winning a flag.

No guarantee he makes it that far , Ryder was cooked lycett had a bad game after a good season playing to his talent levels , shit happens

Apparently so, since you list us as getting Mitch Georgiades with the pick we got in the trade, but once you take father son/NGA bidding into account we actually got him from a pick trade we did with Brisbane. We got Dylan Williams with the second pick we got in the Dougal trade (plus a subsequent further trade on draft day where we dropped the pick a couple of spots).

So, in summary, Pickett/Day for Bergman = big downgrade, and Howard + Ryder for Williams = potentially could have been a breakeven or even a win had we not shit the bed so hard with Williams' development this year, but given that we did indeed shit the bed with Williams' development and he looks odds on to be delisted, big downgrade.
But this is the thing, you can analyse based on the pick itself or the selected players.
The selected players is easy to denounce in retrospect.
The pick itself is better to understand value overall of the trade itself.
If you denounced the trade at the time because we didn't pick up either of those players then that's impressive.
The pick at 23 is well worth those two older players.
Our list management gets picks more right than wrong so you have to go with it.
I would do that trade every day of the week especially when we were looking to add young talent at the time.
Basically the trade itself was very good business. They didn't get value at 23 with Williams but if they picked up Chad Warner it would be a different story.
Its just the way you see it.

Facts are facts and one must bow before them.

Saw an article that he was playing through injury last year? Groin i think or hip flexer. I imagine he could still be facing the same problems. Thought he was great to start the year but past few weeks has struggled.

Nothing inherently wrong with “learnings”, you know if we actually displayed some modicum of learning something.
Ken and the coaches' favourite word to use atm. Learnings after 7 losses and they generally fall under the following:

• Losing Contested Ball
  • Poor Goalkicking
  • High Press which results in opposition scoring easily from the back
  • Stupid Turnovers in the back half
  • Small forwards getting a hold of Port
  • Lack of defensive accountability from ALL players
  • Lack of two-way running
  • Same tactics over and over again; always kick to to the corridor.
  • Constantly outcoached

His disposal is never going to be elite but he has firmly found his spot playing as a hybrid back flanker who can pretty much play on any opponent outside of the Hawkins type bruisers.

Chuck the plan to put him on the wing in the bin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back