Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

The double tackle was something else too. He was not going to let this game slip.

Nails Cripps stone cold in a perfect tackle. Play on!!!!

Nails Hollands with the exact same tackle 3 seconds later in front of the same umpire. HTB!!!

If you want proof of how the stars of big Vic clubs are umpired differently from the rest of the competition here's your Zapruder footage.

One of our best on Saturday, and IMO, was his best game so far for Port. He was unstoppable, and basically error-free. He has copped his fair share of flack, as have our recruiters for targeting him above the likes of Pickett, but he is now proving his worth. Been a bit of been a tease up until now, but that game will be an eye-opener for many in the AFL world.

Nails Hollands with the exact same tackle 3 seconds later in front of the same umpire. HTB!!!

If you want proof of how the stars of big Vic clubs are umpired differently from the rest of the competition here's your Zapruder footage.

Perfect example of something the AFL umpiring cabal ought to be working on - unconscious bias - rather than just blindly closing the ranks with the rule fiddling fidget spinners at AFL House. But they won’t, because… cabal.

Also, awesome, near perfect second half from Miles. Feel like going back to watch the first half now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect example of something the AFL umpiring cabal ought to be working on - unconscious bias - rather than just blindly closing the ranks with the rule fiddling fidget spinners at AFL House. But they won’t, because… cabal.

Also, awesome, near perfect second half from Miles. Feel like going back to watch the first half now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was very good in the first quarter too.

.. or perhaps because Cripps got a clean handball away and Hollands dropped the ball?

Bergman was this good last year in defence too. A good coach would have left him there.
Nahhh, you still want to try and develop young talent. Didn’t work but don’t knock Ken and the Cocahing group on having a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bergman was this good last year in defence too. A good coach would have left him there.
Definitely but Miles has elite running capacity so putting him in a place of need, winger, made sense so I don't have a problem with that but with young guys, you have to see what they are capable of, but he's looked the goods last year in defence on both talls and smalls and is a brilliant mark.

His kicking is getting better too.

I think the 3rd tall is his calling until he can crack the midfield, in time.

Come on, it was a “cheeky” push 🤔

The commentary around that was ****ing infuriating.

Derm's comments were basically, "See how he infringed on Bergman without the umpire seeing it? That's what you've got to do."

He's got the most sure hands in our defence.

Houston reads the ball well but he doesn't get far off the ground and can two touch it occasionally.

Zerk-Thatcher can take a mark but understandably prefers to spoil.

Aliir double or triple grabs at almost everything these days.

Bergman can really leap into the air and take a big mark over any opponent. It's the feature of his game.

Houston reads the ball well but he doesn't get far off the ground and can two touch it occasionally.

Bergman can really leap into the air and take a big mark over any opponent. It's the feature of his game.
perfect match up for heeney/cameron types.

should be a permanent defender from now on.

I'm going to say it and I don't mind if there is a bit of a pile on but I squinted my eyes on the weekend and I thought it was Chadler.

Critical moment in the game. Carlton score here and who knows what happens.
Miles was great there and gets all the attention, as he should.

But if you look at the longer clip, there was a contest on the wing just prior - and we had all our mids etc. in that contest. Including one of our forwards, DBJ. He is the one that gets back, and even though he missed the tackle on Hollands, he held him up enough to allow Bergman to hit his tackle. Yes, he missed that tackle, but his workrate to get back and contest when everyone else didn't run back is often missed when people tend to pot him for not influencing a game etc. No stats there, but just as important as the Bergman tackle.

The commentary around that was ****ing infuriating.

Derm's comments were basically, "See how he infringed on Bergman without the umpire seeing it? That's what you've got to do."

At least he didn't follow the comment to a natural Dermie conclusion - "... and then stomp on his head"

Bergman laid some other great tackles during the game as well.

I think he got Walsh or Cripps early in the first on the wing and it was vice like.

Definitely a powerful upper body with a great tackling technique. A joy to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back