Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he’s great in defence but when it all clicks for him as a winger- he will be an even better player there than in defence. Could see him being a 1-1.5 goal a game 20 touch player there.

If he wants to be a winger I’d continue to let him try become the player he wants to be!

I know he’s great in defence but when it all clicks for him as a winger- he will be an even better player there than in defence. Could see him being a 1-1.5 goal a game 20 touch player there.

If he wants to be a winger I’d continue to let him try become the player he wants to be!

Why do you presume it will click for him as a winger? Didn't click last year, didn't click this year - if anything his form on the wing went backwards. His unique skillset imo gets lost on the wing - where the archetypal player is to be a strong gut runner who is a clean user of the footy. He has so many other strong traits that are perfectly suited in defence - traits which are not needed in a winger.

He has looked an absolute natural down back. His time in defence the last two seasons has been way more productive that on the wing to the point where you could go as far to say he has All-Australian potential down back.

He has a skill set that is absolutely suited to playing down back. He is composed, his disposal is improving, he's strong overhead, he has the requisite speed to play small whilst being solid enough to take on bigger bodies if necessary. He's the classic hybrid defender that Port were hoping to find in Lachie Jones. They just found it in Miles instead. It doesn't make him any less of a player being at half back as opposed to the wing either.

Agree, he’s a great defender but prefers to be on the wing so why not develop him as a wingman particularly if another club is offering the opportunity.

Miles was great there and gets all the attention, as he should.

But if you look at the longer clip, there was a contest on the wing just prior - and we had all our mids etc. in that contest. Including one of our forwards, DBJ. He is the one that gets back, and even though he missed the tackle on Hollands, he held him up enough to allow Bergman to hit his tackle. Yes, he missed that tackle, but his workrate to get back and contest when everyone else didn't run back is often missed when people tend to pot him for not influencing a game etc. No stats there, but just as important as the Bergman tackle.

Two Bergman tackles, one after the other.

Why do you presume it will click for him as a winger? Didn't click last year, didn't click this year - if anything his form on the wing went backwards. His unique skillset imo gets lost on the wing - where the archetypal player is to be a strong gut runner who is a clean user of the footy. He has so many other strong traits that are perfectly suited in defence - traits which are not needed in a winger.

He has looked an absolute natural down back. His time in defence the last two seasons has been way more productive that on the wing to the point where you could go as far to say he has All-Australian potential down back.

He has a skill set that is absolutely suited to playing down back. He is composed, his disposal is improving, he's strong overhead, he has the requisite speed to play small whilst being solid enough to take on bigger bodies if necessary. He's the classic hybrid defender that Port were hoping to find in Lachie Jones. They just found it in Miles instead. It doesn't make him any less of a player being at half back as opposed to the wing either.
Tom Stewart-esque.

Tom Stewart-esque.

I think he's more of a pure defender than Stewart whose expertise is in reading the play and positioning himself accordingly. The similar body shape (and hair) is what gives those obvious comparisons credence, though.

Reminds me of Nick Haynes from GWS at his best.

Not as tall but super-athletic, intercepting, marking, rebounding defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn’t go backwards, and his skill set is great for wing / midfield, we just don’t play through the wings so it’s a hard spot to stand out.

I think it’s more accurate to say that he stood out less on the wing.

I don't know why people want to make him a winger anyway. Arguably the position he plays best is a more important role in modern footy.

I’m not so sure it’s about the wing, it’s about his prospects in the midfield that people would want to see develop.

Most other teams in the league would arguably already be playing him there full time, we can’t.

If we had two of him …

In the end we’re prob better just leaving him back for now, where he’s already special than trying to explore / develop his midfield potential in a midfield where his minutes would be limited.

He didn’t go backwards, and his skill set is great for wing / midfield, we just don’t play through the wings so it’s a hard spot to stand out.

I think it’s more accurate to say that he stood out less on the wing.

I’m not so sure it’s about the wing, it’s about his prospects in the midfield that people would want to see develop.

Most other teams in the league would arguably already be playing him there full time, we can’t.

If we had two of him …

In the end we’re prob better just leaving him back for now, where he’s already special than trying to explore / develop his midfield potential in a midfield where his minutes would be limited.
While our wings, small forwards are shallow, it was totally worth playing him there to test it out, but I agree our defence has been poor. Esava has been shakey, along with the poor ground ball with soft players like Farell, Burton, etc. and Bergman is absolutely needed there this year.

perhaps next year if Perryman comes, things change again? I reckon Burton will get traded.

While our wings, small forwards are shallow, it was totally worth playing him there to test it out, but I agree our defence has been poor. Esava has been shakey, along with the poor ground ball with soft players like Farell, Burton, etc. and Bergman is absolutely needed there this year.

perhaps next year if Perryman comes, things change again? I reckon Burton will get traded.

Perryman doesn’t really do what Bergman does in defence tho, he’s more likely to take the role that boak is playing this year imo

Also. Who’s trading for Burton? Don’t think anyone would be lining up to take him unless they think they can get him back to his best. Don’t think they’re paying us for the privilege and in that case we’re better off keeping Burton as depth / sanfl fodder.

Like JHF referring to himself as a kid, hope Josh is starting to talk to Miles about Adelaide now being home and shifting the mindset from I can go home in the offseason to setting up here like Trav and Robbie did years ago.

I don't know why people want to make him a winger anyway. Arguably the position he plays best is a more important role in modern footy.
Port coaches do not value wingman with their hi-press plan. Where we have been trying to fill a hole since Amon left (and then Doursma). With his running and high marking attributes, it was only natural that Bergamn was tried on the wing.

Where he was not a total failure but he has proved far more effective for himself & the team when his plays down back.

Didn’t fill with hope that he’ll be extending his contract, hope I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back