Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

He was copping some criticism for his kicking earlier this year but I think he’s pretty good with ball in hand - he has a low fast and penetrating kick - might just need to improve the vision a little but the technique is all good
Kicking power and even at goal was never the issue, his field kicking was not the best. Definitely has improved, though I think it may be partly due to him not trying to bite off those tough kicks.

Probably hard to not see Houston and Farrell doing those tough kicks and thinking he can do it as well.

Does not help that his fitness does not seem to be up to par yet.

Looked absolutely cooked in the last 10 minutes of the game. Like he was running in quick sand
Said it in another thread, BZT looks cooked from about 10 minutes into the first quarter. Think it's just the way he carries himself, as he typically still gets to contests etc.

Bergman's agent was on the latest Gettable episode. FWIW, he said its " hard for Miles to even contemplate leaving what they're building at Port Adelaide". And that there's no chance he leaves this year. Also sounded like they'll sit down for talks with Jason Cripps but can't help but think that would be for another extension?
Pretty sure Miles himself has confirmed he will be here next season.

One thing that fans need not worry about is Port's internal value of Miles. They rate him as highly as their top blue chip youngsters (Rozee, Butters, JHF etc).

If he ever does decide to leave it won't be because the Club have lowballed him in contract negotiations.

If we can keep him here long term, that's a huge win.

Glad to hear he’s valued internally, I wish we had a couple of Miles in the team. He’s just so versatile, I could also see him playing as a roaming forward in the Cameron mould.
I think one of the reasons that he’s not rated externally is that he is listed as a midfielder and his stats/ranking points are based against other midfielders. The AFL world base their commentary on statistics where the eye test is far more informative. I would like to know (if possible) what is positional ranking would be if his performances were based as a general defender or key position defender.
His biggest asset is his mindset. Never wants to lose a contest, and you can see that in his repeat tackles efforts etc. It's that sheer determination to not get beaten.

It's something that gets overlooked when drafting players - we're so focussed on skills etc., but the sheer determination is often overlooked/underplayed.

It's why Ryan Burton hasn't become a star (and injuries of course)

His biggest asset is his mindset. Never wants to lose a contest, and you can see that in his repeat tackles efforts etc. It's that sheer determination to not get beaten.

It's something that gets overlooked when drafting players - we're so focussed on skills etc., but the sheer determination is often overlooked/underplayed.

It's why Ryan Burton hasn't become a star (and injuries of course)

Sounds like you're describing his doppelganger Jason Horne-Francis

Said it in another thread, BZT looks cooked from about 10 minutes into the first quarter. Think it's just the way he carries himself, as he typically still gets to contests etc.
I do feel like someone needs to talk to him about his body language. It must encourage his opponents.

I do feel like someone needs to talk to him about his body language. It must encourage his opponents.
Lulls them into a false sense of security.

I'm no BZT, but I used to be like that. Next thing you're flying into them/past them :).

Pretty sure Miles himself has confirmed he will be here next season.
Miles confirmed that he won't be seeking a trade before his current contract ends (ie the end of next season).

His manager on Gettable made it clearer that he can't see Miles wanting to leave Port. He also pointed out that Miles likes to take his time in making a decision. Sit back and really think about. So we might not actually get his contract wrapped up until later next anyway.

Lulls them into a false sense of security.

I'm no BZT, but I used to be like that. Next thing you're flying into them/past them :).
You see it in pro cycling all the time.

This year's tour, Stage 18, Victor Campenaerts was in the lead group of 3. He has a reputation as a workhorse, and for occasionally doing too much work to ensure the break stays away from the main peleton to the end. So much work that he's got nothing left for the sprint to the line.

This time he used that reputation to his advantage. He played tired, skipped turns, made it look like he was hurting. Let his two breakaway companions fight against one another, pretended he was just hanging on, and burned them with the sprint to win his first ever stage at the tour.

It was all planned. He'd targeted the stage for a win back in December, when the course was first released.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Butters
2. Horne-Francis
3. Houston
4. Rozee - his form is not up there at the moment
5. Bergman
6. Georgiades
7. Rioli
8. Aliir
9. Wines
10. Drew

Now you can tell me how wrong I am.

I've re-edited to get 10.

Last edited:
1. Butters
2. Horne-Francis
3. Houston
4. Rozee - his form is not up there at the moment
5. Bergman
6. Georgiades
7. Rioli
8. Aliir
9. Wines
10. Drew

Now you can tell me how wrong I am.

I've re-edited to get 10.
lol look at that list ……poor Kenny where is the cattle?!

haha yup, JHF has it, Butters has it and a few others. Even DBJ.

You can see the blokes that lift when the game is on the line and will themselves and the team on through sheer effort and desperation.
And I would throw Sweet in that don't give up mix.

Bergman's agent was on the latest Gettable episode. FWIW, he said its " hard for Miles to even contemplate leaving what they're building at Port Adelaide".

I think this will generally be the sentiment for the younger cohort coming up underneath Connor and Zak. If we can keep that young core together the sky is the limit.

Star.

Delivered on a big stage when side was under extreme pressure all night.
From memory, he did well against Toby Greene in the GWS final last year. He stood up against a barrage. I thought Aliir was pretty good too, considering the amount of footy the Cats had going their way and the quality of opponent he was on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back