List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If list are cut to 40 (from 44) and we want to draft 4 new players then 8 will have to be cut.

it would be absolutely moronic for the league to demand drastic cutting when half of the league hasn’t had a chance to play this year.

unfortunately the aflpa, who should be fighting tooth and nail to see that it won’t happen will be too scared that salary cap will get cut overall and they care more about the top 20% more than the bottom 20% who will suffer.

it would be absolutely moronic for the league to demand drastic cutting when half of the league hasn’t had a chance to play this year.

unfortunately the aflpa, who should be fighting tooth and nail to see that it won’t happen will be too scared that salary cap will get cut overall and they care more about the top 20% more than the bottom 20% who will suffer.

The Patrick Dangerfields of the comp have never cared about the Dean Gores. They are generally self serving.

Re-sign
Charlie Dixon
Sam Powell-Pepper
Brad Ebert
Willem Drew
Jarrod Lienert - 1 year
Trent McKenzie - 1 year
Jake Patmore - 1 year or delist if list spots needed
Jake Pasini
Jack Watts
Justin Westhoff - 1 year if not cooked

Trade Bait
Joe Atley - 1 year if no takers

Delist
Wylie Buzza
Tobin Cox (rookie)
Riley Grundy (rookie)
Cam Sutcliffe (rookie)
Boyd Woodcock (rookie)
Martin Frederick (rookie)

it would be insanity to cut Grundy.

If we have 13 small and medium forwards and 0 tall defenders beyond the 22 we should give up being a football club.
I agree that its insane not to have more developing talls I just dont think that Grundy will be the AFL quality tall we need.

I agree that its insane not to have more developing talls I just dont think that Grundy will be the AFL quality tall we need.

I would rather find out then keep our 13th best small forward or 18th best mid or 9th best flanker

We’re about 2 injuries away from Sutcliffe playing chb. If that doesn’t scare you nothing will.

Grundy has the size, competitive nature and athleticism to make it and god damn if his physical transformation from broomstick to Dwight Howard in 1 off-season hasn’t convinced you he’s got desire and at least some kind of work ethic you’re a cold man.

maybe he doesn’t make it but there’s as much there as were going to find In any draft prospect outside the 1st round so why not find out.

Trade
Wines

Delist
Buzza
Drew
Atley
Lienert
Fredrick
Sutcliffe

Retire
Westhoff

Depending how they play out the rest of the year. Would have to have a real good look at moving them on.
Rockliff
Watts
Motlop

Trade
Wines

Delist
Buzza
Drew
Atley
Lienert
Fredrick
Sutcliffe

Retire
Westhoff

Depending how they play out the rest of the year. Would have to have a real good look at moving them on.
Rockliff
Watts
Motlop
I reckon this seems fair but I'd want to hold onto Drew. He attacks and works hard the whole time; effort off the ball is underappreciated, much like Butters, but has more inside the contest ability.

I reckon this seems fair but I'd want to hold onto Drew. He attacks and works hard the whole time; effort off the ball is underappreciated, much like Butters, but has more inside the contest ability.

really think he has run his race, injuries just getting the better of him.
With who we have and who we will get father and son etc i dont think theres a spot for him

Trade
Wines

Delist
Buzza
Drew
Atley
Lienert
Fredrick
Sutcliffe

Retire
Westhoff

Rockliff
Watts
Motlop

The problem with Wines/Rockliff/Drew isn't their football ability, it's that we have too many of the same type. You certainly don't solve that problem by getting rid of all of them. Then we're just left with not enough of that type.

The problem with Wines/Rockliff/Drew isn't their football ability, it's that we have too many of the same type. You certainly don't solve that problem by getting rid of all of them. Then we're just left with not enough of that type.

i agree with you there. But i think Wines is gone and out of our control. Drew cant stay on the park and rocky looks like he cant out run his shadow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list management has been first class for 5 years. We are now in view of the top of the mountain and we have, perhaps, the hardest of all decisions to make. It’s like climbing Kilimanjaro and seeing for the first time that it has twin peaks-2020 to 2022 and then 2025-2027 when Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Georgiades, Mead, Jones, Bergman, Williams etc reach their prime.

Do we try to conquer both peaks in the same trip. We certainly wouldn’t be letting Wines go for draft picks if we thought this was the way to go. The aim would be to contend throughout the decade. This is a Hawthorn model of attracting good players to an already successful unit, ignoring the draft pretty much.

Word of warning: for every Hawthorn and Geelong using this model, there is also a Cows who hang on to their premiership window too long and recruit Gibbs when they needed youth and pace.

Or do we have a rest between peaks. That is, replace Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Dixon, Ebert, and all our 30 year olds in the next few years at the draft building towards 2025? Wines for a young key back and a good draft pick makes sense under this model but we could lose the chance at a flag in the next few years doing this.

My view: we go hard this year and next... then see. It may then be time for a big clean out whether we have 0 flags, one flag or two from this window.

Why on earth would we re-sign Lienert? 26 years old, not an AFL quality footballer and never will be.

Lienert has always looked AFL standard when I've watched him and don't think there's anything wrong with keeping him on. He's a good player to have on the list for depth compared to other players we've had recently (Toumpass, Hitchcock, Banner, Thomas) and even players we have now.

Lienert has always looked AFL standard when I've watched him and don't think there's anything wrong with keeping him on. He's a good player to have on the list for depth compared to other players we've had recently (Toumpass, Hitchcock, Banner, Thomas) and even players we have now.
Love his long kick, but when he was given a bunch of games, his form dropped off and his defending let him down after a while.

Honestly, we'd be in a great position to handle it better than most. We have a good first 18-28, but there are some list cloggers to, plus the number of older players. If the AFL are going to say 'get rid of 8 players', there is going to have to be a carrot as far as how the salary cap is managed. I.e if Robbie Gray is cooked by the end of the year and doesn't want to play on, it doesn't go against our cap. If they force such a hard cut and don't play ball, it will end up in court with teams basically unable to meet the rules. Either that or they are going to have to back off somewhere else (e.g you dont have to draft 3 players, only 2, or a staggered reduction over 2-3 years which would actually work perfectly for us). Not sure of contract status but these players are surplus to needs:

Buzza
Rockliff
Watts
Atley - could go 50/50 - think he could still be something, but if you had one name left, he'd be the one
woodcock
Lienert - was okay, but again tough decisions have to be made.
Jake Patmore
Fredrick
Cox
Sutcliffe
Garner
Drew (again borderline)

As much as I wouldn't want to lose any of the next players I still think they could be move on

Westhoff (if he were 6'3 he'd be the first to go, but I think his versatility will be important, even though he has been pretty poor the last month)
Ebert - still playing great, but in a position that is not crucial for us, 31 by new season as well. You wouldn't cut a guy that could be a jet in front of Ebert
Robbie Gray - will probably get Alberton Oval burned down after last week. However, he has not fired a shot all year. Clearly he has slowed. Even Motlop had a similar goal/output in his first year with us and we wanted him shipped off to Antartica.

Ebert is just about the only name up there that hurts us based on 2020 output. Even with Hoff's good month, Georgiadis would/could/should have got some games in there and would have averaged out similar to the Hoff over the whole season thus far. I am not saying I wanna cut all of those players, but its plenty doable and some of the optics of trying to push out a stalwart like a Ebert/ Gray would be pushed aside given the amount of chopping every club is going to have to do.

So Brad Crouch...

I know it is blasphemous to mention a Crows player on here but...

26 years old.

Free agent (wont cost us any pics)

Ball magnet.

Pace (has he lost it?)

The major queries are injuries, disposal and contract price.

I actually think he is a pretty good fit for us, especially if Ollie goes.

If we get a first rounder for Ollie and replace him with Brad I think our midfield would be stronger and we get a free first round pick.

The downside would be the Crows getting a first rounder out of it and the potential for shadenfraude but we need to worry about improving us not what they do. They will get the compo anyway.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Peter Ladhams (Port Adelaide)

Has been given a chance in the past fortnight due to Scott Lycett's knee injury and excelled in the round seven win over Carlton. Proved he's dangerous around the ground against the Blues but was exposed at stoppages by former teammate Paddy Ryder last week. Ladhams registered interest from rival clubs last year before inking a new deal at Alberton until 2022. Although Ryder has since left, how much opportunity will he get behind Lycett (contract to 2023) if the Power only play one genuine ruckman?

Has been given a chance in the past fortnight due to Scott Lycett's knee injury and excelled in the round seven win over Carlton. Proved he's dangerous around the ground against the Blues but was exposed at stoppages by former teammate Paddy Ryder last week. Ladhams registered interest from rival clubs last year before inking a new deal at Alberton until 2022. Although Ryder has since left, how much opportunity will he get behind Lycett (contract to 2023) if the Power only play one genuine ruckman?

Sam Hayes (Port Adelaide)

The Power have high hopes for the Victorian product who ruptured his ACL midway through his first season in 2018. Has also been adding forward craft to his game in an attempt to give Ken Hinkley thought he could play as one of two genuine talls. When the Power pounced on the athletic Hayes at pick 47 in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, current Power No.1 Scott Lycett was still at West Coast and No.2 Peter Ladhams was developing in the SANFL. While rival clubs might not succeed in luring Hayes out of his 2021 contract at Alberton, they'd be silly not to ask the question.

Sam Hayes (Port Adelaide)

The Power have high hopes for the Victorian product who ruptured his ACL midway through his first season in 2018. Has also been adding forward craft to his game in an attempt to give Ken Hinkley thought he could play as one of two genuine talls. When the Power pounced on the athletic Hayes at pick 47 in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, current Power No.1 Scott Lycett was still at West Coast and No.2 Peter Ladhams was developing in the SANFL. While rival clubs might not succeed in luring Hayes out of his 2021 contract at Alberton, they'd be silly not to ask the question.
I'd be so Hinkley for us to hold onto Hoff for another year, but lose one of Ladhams or Hayes, because of his shit selections. :mad:

Here is a rundown of the list. 7 players who could be delisted and another 7 who could be traded/delisted. Typically most clubs turn over 5-8 players each year. We could still meet that comfortably, even with list size reductions. There are a couple I’ve been harsh on, ie Garner, Woodcock and Patmore.

Assuming we take Jones and Schofield, delist the 7 I’ve suggested and lose Wines, then we are left short on inside mids and KPPs. Hopefully a first rounder (for Wines), and early second rounder before the bid on Jones, then FA Williams, chase Perryman/Hopper/Caldwell/Dow, add a depth DFA KPP and late speculative rookie types.

Tall fowards:
- Dixon, Marshall, Georgiardes
- Delist: Westhoff, Buzza

Tall backs:
- Jonas, Clurey, McKenzie, Watts, Grundy, Pasini
- Delist: (?)Lienert

Rucks:
- Lycett, Hayes, Ladhams

Inside mids:
- Boak, Rockliff, Mead, Houston
- Delist: Atley, Drew
- Trade: Wines