List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ebert being out of contract and with all the head injuries makes me nervous, anyone else think he might retire?
Why nervous? He should retire given all his head injuries. No Port fan wants to be reading an article in 10-20 years about how his life is shit due to too many knocks whilst playing. When he came over from West Coast he showed how pathetic our fitness was and helped set a new standard. He deserves to go out with a medal, but if we don't win I don't want him going on another year in the hope of getting one.

Could we look at a Sam Durdin type?
198cm defender
1st round draft pick
4 years at NM for 22 games
Is an Adelaide boy being drafted from Westies

Could he be the height we need in defence? At only 95kg he might need to go on the Charlie Dixon regime to get up to 100-105kgs to be that big presence on the big forwards.

I will say I've never seen him play and he could be a spud... but a first round pick says there was talent there as a junior, and he did go to North so that says enough about that.
I've mentioned him a couple of times and been shot down lol the worry is he couldn't get a game for North but has had injuries.
Is a DFA so I'm sure we will look at him.

Could we look at a Sam Durdin type?
198cm defender
1st round draft pick
4 years at NM for 22 games
Is an Adelaide boy being drafted from Westies

Could he be the height we need in defence? At only 95kg he might need to go on the Charlie Dixon regime to get up to 100-105kgs to be that big presence on the big forwards.

I will say I've never seen him play and he could be a spud... but a first round pick says there was talent there as a junior, and he did go to North so that says enough about that.
Durdin is garbage and the only people who bring him up are always those that haven’t watched him and just make the call because he was a former first rounder.

He’s going to be playing sanfl next year.
I mean, we were looking at Brennan Cox who’s in a similar mold but he’s had a good enough season at Freo to not be worth what we’d have to cough up for him. Might be worth taking a punt on Durdin before this happens again.

There’s been nothing anywhere saying port “looked” at cox so I’m not sure where this is coming from.

He was ooc for the entire year then signed a 2 year contract with freo.

I think it’s safe to assume he didn’t have strong interest from anywhere. Otherwise he would have a 3 year deal with a club to play first 22, not taking 2 years at a club he’s getting games due to injuries.

Durdin is garbage and the only people who bring him up are always those that haven’t watched him and just make the call because he was a former first rounder.

There’s been nothing anywhere saying port “looked” at cox so I’m not sure where this is coming from.

He was ooc for the entire year then signed a 2 year contract with freo.

I think it’s safe to assume he didn’t have strong interest from anywhere. Otherwise he would have a 3 year deal with a club to play first 22, not taking 2 years at a club he’s getting games due to injuries.
Nah that's abit rich I've seen him play just because you don't rate him that's fine.
To say anyone who brings him up are just going on where he was drafted is bullshit .

So who is your suggestion then for a big tall defender? It is one of our weaknesses and it has been shown a number of times in recent years.

If you think Durdin is no good, then who do we target? What are you willing to give up?

If we are going for a tall defenderwhocosts nothing but a listspot, can play immediately and has upside, i would choose Sam Skinner way before durdin. He's been transitioned as forward / ruck but he was drafted as a tall defender and played there before multiple acts. Hasnt broken down ina come of years. Looks like a player and costs nothing. Much more upside and need than someone like buzza.

This year we had key positions depth with Buzza, Westhoff and Watts.

Hayes should be a year closer to playing AFL so no need for the player to be able to ruck.

Darcy Moore would be perfect, but a pipe dream. So are Daniher, Ben Brown and Jeremy Cameron.Then there’s the uncontracteds :

Scharenberg
Frawley
O.McDonald
Logan Austin
Kreuger
Walker
McCartin- though he’s apparently off to Sydney to join his brother.

A left field suggestion for a midfielder is Polec. NM appear willing to let him go and pay part of his salary. We offered him around $500,000 for 4 years but he left for $750,000 for 5 years. If we were to put our offer back on the table for 3 years, and have NM pay the difference, a deal could be done.

Polec would be superb for us as an inside mid- Amon has his wing covered. But Polec is good in traffic, has a burst of speed that Rockliff and Wines don’t and is in his prime. For mine, Polec should be seriously considered.

Hayes should be a year closer to playing AFL so no need for the player to be able to ruck.

Darcy Moore would be perfect, but a pipe dream. So are Daniher, Ben Brown and Jeremy Cameron.Then there’s the uncontracteds :

Scharenberg
Frawley
O.McDonald
Logan Austin
Kreuger
Walker

A left field suggestion for a midfielder is Polec. NM appear willing to let him go and pay part of his salary. We offered him around $500,000 for 4 years but he left for $750,000 for 5 years. If we were to put our offer back on the table for 3 years, and have NM pay the difference, a deal could be done.

Polec would be superb for us as an inside mid- Amon has his wing covered. But Polec is good in traffic, has a burst of speed that Rockliff and Wines don’t and is in his prime. For mine, Polec should be seriously considered.
We only offered Polec 3 years, he said would have stayed if we offered 4 though.

Polec can’t play as a permanent inside let alone 50/50 inside/outside. He can “when he chooses to,” put his head over the ball and plays well in tight for a one-two or when hugging the boundary. Also, I think, nothing to substantiate this btw, I think his personality might not of been the best for our group, so on behalf of both camps, there would have to be a lot of faith for him to work. I’m not even bringing up his reliability either.

Scharenberg
Frawley
O.McDonald
Logan Austin
Kreuger
Walker

I am really struggling to find where Hayes can be fitted into the current team.
We must surely play him next year, or lose him.
IMO every player should present at least 2 favoured playing options re field positions.
What is his 2nd option and is it potentially vacant?

Could Hayes be tried as our big key defender? Gets him in the team and not looking elsewhere + hes big and strong enough??

Scharenberg
Frawley
O.McDonald
Logan Austin
Kreuger
Walker

Given our culture is much improved, I'd be concerned about bringing Polec back to Port.
Crows on the other hand could likely welcome both Polec and Fantasia back to SA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Hayes be tried as our big key defender? Gets him in the team and not looking elsewhere + hes big and strong enough??
not agile/mobile enough.

He would be Ruck first and Dixon replacement second.

With Dixon and Lycett both a year older, I would expect Sammy Hayes to fill for both throughout the year and play 8-10 games.

Scharenberg
Frawley
O.McDonald
Logan Austin
Kreuger
Walker

I'd prefer Fantasia to getting Polec back! And I DEFINITELY dont want Fantasia!

As for this:
"Polec would be superb for us as an inside mid"

Whaaat? He was nothing but a receiver! Inside, contested footy is just not in his DNA

Pass!

No.

But next year if Dixon got injured, I'd play Ladhams at FF and play Hayes as the 2nd ruck to see if it works.

If we were to get an injury in a finals game to a tall defender and needed to cover him, I'd move Ladhams to CHB. He is athletic and mobile enough to do a short term job.

Garner to North
Kreuger to Us
North 3rd to Cats
How did Krueger go in the VFL last year? Forward or back? Not a great sign that he hasn’t played any AFL in 2 years given he was draft physically ready to go.

Why would North give up a pick in the 30's for a guy who was pick 60 three years ago and has played four games since?
The same trade probably works if the pick was a future 4th rounder.

Current retirement/delistings:

Justin Westhoff key forward 33

Riley Grundy defender 20

Joe Atley midfielder 21

Wylie Buzza Key Forward 24

Tobin Cox small forward 21

Jack Watts defender 29

Brad Ebert forward 30

On the edge pending list size confirmations & free agency signings:

Jake Patmore midfielder 21

Martin Frederick defender 20

Cam Sutcliffe defender 28

So who is your suggestion then for a big tall defender? It is one of our weaknesses and it has been shown a number of times in recent years.

If you think Durdin is no good, then who do we target? What are you willing to give up?

Our talls were without a doubt the best performed defense in the league this season.

Yeah we are prone to taller forwards taking advantage of us at times but overall the positives far outweighed the negatives.

We are not upgrading our best 3 talls imo.

We’ve got pasini and lienert as depth, which is very shallow.

Imo we hit the draft. There’s a few under 23 mature age defenders around the leagues that I think are worth a shot over a player like durdin who has had years to make it and hasn’t.

Last edited:
Yeah we are prone to taller forwards taking advantage of us at times but overall the positives far outweighed the negatives.

When we're chasing a premiership and every little bit counts, 'yeah we are prone to taller forwards taking advantage of us at times' isn't something you can just gloss over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back