List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wouldn’t ditch him unless I’m getting a first 22 player in return.
Why should another club offer up a player that would make the top ranked clubs best 22 when Bonner only plays half our games?

Why should another club offer up a player that would make the top ranked clubs best 22 when Bonner only plays half our games?

I like philthy as a poster but he turns into Port Adelaide's Dodoro whenever the subject of trades come up.

I like philthy as a poster but he turns into Port Adelaide's Dodoro whenever the subject of trades come up.
If we package up Lienert and Bonner, we'll probs end up with a vanilla soft serve with a chocolate flake inserted in it.

Give Garner a go in 2021, bring in a big KPD, and hope Burton and Watts can also get fit.

There's something off about Riley Bonner. He's like a bizarro Pendlebury - instead of seeming to have a second more than he actually does, he seems to have a second less than he actually does.

I'll go back to my common list management question: Can you imagine Riley Bonner being a premiership player in his current form? I can't.

I'd rather be getting games into Jones than Bonner, because Jones actually looks like a quality defender.

Im not sure where this comparison comes from. I’m not saying nor have I ever said bonner (or any similar port player) is worth an exorbitant amount in a trade. I’m saying he has shown signs of improvement in a cpl of areas, and that some of the criticism of him is weirdly directed. Like calling a player that gets to more contests than half our defenders lazy? Or knocking his contested side (Which has some validity) when lienert spends 90% of the game watching contests from 30m away.

the reality is half this board wants half our players gone because they’re spuds but pine for spuds who can’t get games elsewhere like crazy. Try and tell me that there isn’t 5000 posts here claiming we should go after durdin and a hundred other similar examples. I mean there’s literally posters slamming a port player for being soft then suggesting we go after a player who is the epitome of soft.

The grass is always greener on the other side

if your asking me if what would likely be another pick in the back end of our 5 picks between 30-50 in a shallow draft we’re already committed to players and likely to not go deep in is greener than bonner, than I’m going to say hell no it isn’t

as I said before if it’s the chance to snap up a player like perryman, hately or etc then it changes

otherwise hold onto bonner.

No soft spot, just an analytical eye. I’ve called for bonner to be dropped before after games. Actually probably during games too lol.

as I’ve raised the comparison before, lienert just doesn’t even crack in to 1/100th the contests bonner does. Lienert knows his limits and he will only go in when he is sure. Bonner isn’t lazy, he’s getting to contests at a very high rate. He covers ground very well. Just doesn’t know his limits and when he gets into contests sometimes, maybe too often fails to really impact them say like Hartlett or Dbj might. The irony is that if bonner skated around not trying he would escape a fair bit of the criticism he gets.

I’m okay with bonner getting dropped and sent back to keep working on what he can do better, but he’s too valuable to give up for zero return.

I agree about Lienert, but it's not as big of an issue coz he's not back in the team as soon as Ken gets the slightest opportunity

There's something off about Riley Bonner. He's like a bizarro Pendlebury - instead of seeming to have a second more than he actually does, he seems to have a second less than he actually does.

I'll go back to my common list management question: Can you imagine Riley Bonner being a premiership player in his current form? I can't.

I'd rather be getting games into Jones than Bonner, because Jones actually looks like a quality defender.

It's intensity (rather than laziness as I previously posted). A classic example is a couple of weeks ago when he got done holding the ball when he and the tackler were both on the ground. There was no prior but Bonner just gave up and laid there giving the umpire no choice but to pay it.

If he gets the ball an cant skate to the edges, he slows down and braces for a tackle. He should be shown DBJ highlights for 2 hrs a day.

My single biggest gripe with bonner is something that bizarrely no one else ever brings up, that for a 191cm mobile guy he doesn’t take anywhere near as many intercept marks in defense as he could. The same with lienert, although lienert probably does slightly more but considering lienert seemingly never goes near an opponent he should be free to go for plenty.

Bonner has no defensive ability whatsoever. His only asset is his kicking and even that is unreliable. You never see him attacking on the run, or taking marks. He's always receiving only.

I still think there is a footballer in Riley Bonner. He gets a harder time on here than he deserves. That said, he plays a position we have depth in so I’m interested to hear Carlton’s offer. If we could get a future 2nd (probably with us giving back some change) I’m all for it.

I wouldn’t be giving him away for nothing though.

I don’t mind Bonner, I think he is good developing depth but I’m also ok if he goes for the right price.

Personally, it would be in his best interest to go to a club with an Etihad style gameplay - Western Bulldogs/Essendon, etc. With our defensive style of play, big presses restricting space this doesn’t suit Bonners strengths.

Also with a squeeze on depth, it’s hard to see Bonner holding down a spot.

While he is thereabouts, he would be able to negotiate a much better deal at another club and $$ this year. Buying himself time to get to 100 games, and show what he has got, possibly extending his career.

I think he goes. I think the club lets him, as he might be worth nothing at the end of next year. We will get a second rounder me thinks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels like forever since I agreed with Janus.

A very apt summary.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still think there is a footballer in Riley Bonner. He gets a harder time on here than he deserves. That said, he plays a position we have depth in so I’m interested to hear Carlton’s offer. If we could get a future 2nd (probably with us giving back some change) I’m all for it.

I wouldn’t be giving him away for nothing though.
He works his ass off to revive the ball. I’m not sure this is a good thing. If you look at the elite ball users off half back i don’t see them doing multiple sprints before they get the ball. I’m sure that has an affect on his kick. I just don’t think he has a footballers brain.
I’d trade him if it helps with picks for Jones.

Other players this board wanted moved on:

Boak
Wines
Powell-Pepper
Jonas
Amon
McKenzie

I don't think Bonner is awesome but I don't completely trust the judgement here either.

I’d say there is a few more which could be added to this list....

I don’t think anyone expected we’d be top of the ladder in 2020. Well done to Ken and list management team.

Why would you question trusting a fan forum?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brilliant article on Koche on Adelaide now .... Port is genuinely becoming a destination club IMO. Not because we are one of the big high-profile clubs, but because it is a great club to be part of, and a great team to play in. In part, says this about our playing group

Under the current guard, Port Adelaide has had a remarkable record of player retention. There’s got to be a reason other than money why Travis Boak and Robbie Gray have never entertained the thought of returning to Victoria, even when their club was under-resourced and non-competitive.

But the pin-up boy for what the culture at Port Adelaide has become is surely Charlie Dixon. He recently admitted that his plan in 2015 when he signed a five-year deal with the Power from Gold Coast was to see it out and head straight home, but when the time came to weigh up an offer from premiership contender Brisbane, he just couldn’t bare the thought of leaving Port Adelaide.

“We’ve been pretty good at keeping players we want to keep over the years,” Koch says. “I think that’s a real reflection of Ken, Chris Davies, Chad Cornes, that whole football department is very much Port Adelaide driven.

“Charlie’s screamer one-handed (in Round 17) you look at that and say, ‘Bloody hell that was extraordinary’ but before the game you see his routine with Chad throwing balls at him one-handed, that just reflects that football department.

“And look at the impact Boaky has had on Charlie in the off-season, after two really emotional, injury-ridden years and the shape he came back in and the mental shape was just amazing.

“Boaky can’t go overseas this off-season but he’s already organising a private pre-season camp with a few of the players and I don’t think he can find a house big enough. I think he’s organising a Red Bull surfing coach. which just changes the routine for them.

“And Pepp (Sam Powell-Pepper) – his professionalism, the way he presents himself, that’s living with Trav, and the way Robbie has taken Connor and Zak Butters under his wing. It’s one of the things you don’t get to see at a game as much but you notice more on TV from a distance, that body language between the players; they’re having fun and supporting each other.”

Brilliant article on Koche on Adelaide now .... Port is genuinely becoming a destination club IMO. Not because we are one of the big high-profile clubs, but because it is a great club to be part of, and a great team to play in. In part, says this about our playing group

Under the current guard, Port Adelaide has had a remarkable record of player retention. There’s got to be a reason other than money why Travis Boak and Robbie Gray have never entertained the thought of returning to Victoria, even when their club was under-resourced and non-competitive.

But the pin-up boy for what the culture at Port Adelaide has become is surely Charlie Dixon. He recently admitted that his plan in 2015 when he signed a five-year deal with the Power from Gold Coast was to see it out and head straight home, but when the time came to weigh up an offer from premiership contender Brisbane, he just couldn’t bare the thought of leaving Port Adelaide.

“We’ve been pretty good at keeping players we want to keep over the years,” Koch says. “I think that’s a real reflection of Ken, Chris Davies, Chad Cornes, that whole football department is very much Port Adelaide driven.

“Charlie’s screamer one-handed (in Round 17) you look at that and say, ‘Bloody hell that was extraordinary’ but before the game you see his routine with Chad throwing balls at him one-handed, that just reflects that football department.

“And look at the impact Boaky has had on Charlie in the off-season, after two really emotional, injury-ridden years and the shape he came back in and the mental shape was just amazing.

“Boaky can’t go overseas this off-season but he’s already organising a private pre-season camp with a few of the players and I don’t think he can find a house big enough. I think he’s organising a Red Bull surfing coach. which just changes the routine for them.

“And Pepp (Sam Powell-Pepper) – his professionalism, the way he presents himself, that’s living with Trav, and the way Robbie has taken Connor and Zak Butters under his wing. It’s one of the things you don’t get to see at a game as much but you notice more on TV from a distance, that body language between the players; they’re having fun and supporting each other.”

During CD's last press conference when he was being grilled about SA Health exemption-gate, he was asked if the club knew the players' family members were here ("yes") and if so, how did they know. CD, stating the bleeding obvious said "we talk to them". It was as if the interviewer couldn't quite grasp the concept. Anyway, CD went on to say that the club was one of a few who went to the trouble of arranging family events, particularly for the interstate players' families, so that they felt part of the club, because he said if the families were confident in the club and the environment their sons were part of, then the players were a lot more settled as well.

That whole article with Kochie is very interesting too, worth everyone having a look at I reckon.

I think Bonner is improving too but my head exploded a bit when you said he's 191cm that's only just shorter than Clurey. As for Durdin he ticks a few boxes 198cm key position back, tick. 24 years old tick. High draft pick so you expect some quality tick. Cheap tick tick. The question is was he starved of opportunity due to Tarrant, Thompson etc. Why did they delist him? Injury? It's too easy to say spud. What is the negative - I haven't seen him play.

I think Bonner is improving too but my head exploded a bit when you said he's 191cm that's only just shorter than Clurey. As for Durdin he ticks a few boxes 198cm key position back, tick. 24 years old tick. High draft pick so you expect some quality tick. Cheap tick tick. The question is was he starved of opportunity due to Tarrant, Thompson etc. Why did they delist him? Injury? It's too easy to say spud. What is the negative - I haven't seen him play.
Definitely ticks alot of boxes couldn't be worse than buzza. But depends on list sizes I guess but would be free and we've seen players can take time.

We will draft Jones, Schofield and one or two other kids, IMO. We need to replace Watts with a mature tall back who can be back up at worst, and compete for best 22 at best. I’d be interested in

Durdin- but what has happened in the last 5 years to this highly rated junior?

McCartin- I definitely think he should not play forward - but could he do CHB?

Cam McCarthy- So desperate to get to Freeo sat out a year. Now desperate to get out of Freeo.

And why was Brandon Matera delisted. Would have him 100 times before Fantapants- maybe Ken can weave his magic once again with a player he used to coach?

We will draft Jones, Schofield and one or two other kids, IMO. We need to replace Watts with a mature tall back who can be back up at worst, and compete for best 22 at best. I’d be interested in

Durdin- but what has happened in the last 5 years to this highly rated junior?

McCartin- I definitely think he should not play forward - but could he do CHB?

Cam McCarthy- So desperate to get to Freeo sat out a year. Now desperate to get out of Freeo.

And why was Brandon Matera delisted. Would have him 100 times before Fantapants- maybe Ken can weave his magic once again with a player he used to coach?

Would definitely have a dip at McCartin

During CD's last press conference when he was being grilled about SA Health exemption-gate, he was asked if the club knew the players' family members were here ("yes") and if so, how did they know. CD, stating the bleeding obvious said "we talk to them". It was as if the interviewer couldn't quite grasp the concept. Anyway, CD went on to say that the club was one of a few who went to the trouble of arranging family events, particularly for the interstate players' families, so that they felt part of the club, because he said if the families were confident in the club and the environment their sons were part of, then the players were a lot more settled as well.

That whole article with Kochie is very interesting too, worth everyone having a look at I reckon.
CD also indicated that the club arranged flights for families to come over for games in previous years.

Would definitely have a dip at McCartin

NO NO NO - steer well clear of that one......

AFL legend wins momentous $1.4m concussion claim
AFL legend Shaun Smith has won a $1.4 million payout due to concussion damages he suffered from his playing career.
By Melanie Dinjaski

Bulldogs hero vows to donate his brain to research
Western Bulldogs hero Liam Picken has explained his decision to donate his brain for CTE research when he passes away.
By Melanie Dinjaski
Mar 5th, 2020

AFL star gives up season over concussion battle
Eagles forward Daniel Venables will miss the entire 2020 AFL season in an attempt to get on top of his battle with concussion.
By Justin Chadwick

Riewoldt reflects on 'scary' moment amid CTE debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back