2nds Port Adelaide vs Glenelg - Round 14 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Saturday 13th of July. 2:10pm at Alberton Oval. Streamed on the AFL website.

Pending the injury list: Ratugolea (Hamstring), Sinn (Quad), Rioli (Personal Reasons), Burton (Foot), and Nick Moore (Calf) to be assessed.

Note: This game is the day before the AFL game, so the sub (EG: F.Evans) can't play.

Bottom by about 2-3%, A win could get us up to 9th.
1720338701926.png

League Stats Leaders for Port:
Dante Visentini 5th for Hitouts.
Tom Clurey 5th for Marks.
Tom Clurey 8th for Rebounds out the Back 50.
Tom Clurey =8th for Kicks.
Jordon Sweet 10th for Hitouts.

Maggies Changes:
IN: Moore, Ratugolea, Rioli , Turner
OUT: Lorenz (AFL Emergency), Aldridge, H.Williams, Weidemann

Maggies Side:
F: Pascoe - Scully - Rioli
HF: Anastasopoulos - Walsh - Charleson
C: Szust - Moore (C) - McCallum
HB: Roberts - Ratugolea - R.Burgoyne
B: K.Marshall - Clurey - D.Williams
R: Visentini - McEntee - Jackson
INT: Short - H.Ferrari - Cockatoo-Collins - Turner
EMERG: Lorenz - Burton - Weidemann - H.Williams - Carter

Last edited:
Since the club went into the AFL;

The Port Adelaide Magpies FC 1997-2010 worst years were 2009 and 2010 for 8th each year and South won the wooden spoons both those years. These bad years was part of the driver for the ONE CLUB push.

Then between 2011-2013 years when we were merged but not reunified, we finished 6th, 7th and 6th.

Crows came into the comp in 2014 and 10 teams, and our worst result was 2018 9th, when we won 4 games and crows took wooden spoon with 1 win. Post Covid cancelled 2020 season, we have finished 7th, 8th, 5th.

Just another reason to get rid of Hinkley and put in Carr. Carr wont be tempted to play older Ken favourites, they can play in the SANFL and stop us winning the wooden spoon, first one for the club since 1900 and to go with 1896 one.

Bottom by about 2-3%, A win could get us up to 9th.
Nope SANFL % calculation doesn't work that way. 2% using AFL's For/Against at this time of season, is about a 30 pt win, maybe a bit more, depending on how much has been scored by all oppo teams played after 12 games.

In SANFL % calculation is For/(For+Against) is a lot more. its about 120 pts. we wont win by 20 goals unless Chuck plays at FF and kicks 15 to 18 goals.

South For 707 Against 983
Port.. For 706 Against 1101

Edit if Port had scored 792 pts instead of 706 with oppo score of 1101 then out % is a fraction more than South's % so 793. That is a 15 goal difference not 20.

Last edited:

Hinkley said Port are taking 24 across with a 25th ready to travel on Saturday so we might not get much benefit from returning players.

Burton could also be available, you think he would play sanfl.

F: L Pascoe 60, X Walsh 45, W Rioli 15
HF: T Anastasopoulos 29, L Charleson 26, H Ferrari 49
C: J Weidemann 48, N Moore 1, T McCallum 37
HB: K Roberts 65, R Burton 3, D Williams 23,
B: T Clurey 17, E Ratugolea, K Marshall 40
Foll: T Scully 32, M Short 63, H Jackson 39
I/C: R Burgoyne 68, C Szust 47, A Turner 46, P Cockatoo-Collins 61, M Carter 58, H Williams 62

Nope SANFL % calculation doesn't work that way. 2% using AFL's For/Against at this time of season, is about a 30 pt win, maybe a bit more, depending on how much has been scored by all oppo teams played after 12 games.

In SANFL % calculation is For/(For+Against) is a lot more. its about 120 pts. we wont win by 20 goals unless Chuck plays at FF and kicks 15 to 18 goals.

South For 707 Against 983
Port.. For 706 Against 1101

Edit if Port had scored 792 pts instead of 706 with oppo score of 1101 then out % is a fraction more than South's % so 793. That is a 15 goal difference not 20.
He wasn't saying that. He said we are bottom and if we win we will go from 10th to 9th which is correct.

As you say though we're a long way off on percentage, but hopefully we can find a couple wins in the back half of this year and find a way to avoid this spoon.

He wasn't saying that. He said we are bottom and if we win we will go from 10th to 9th which is correct.

As you say though we're a long way off on percentage, but hopefully we can find a couple wins in the back half of this year and find a way to avoid this spoon.
Assuming South doesn't win, which I didn't assume.

F: L Pascoe 60, X Walsh 45, W Rioli 15
HF: T Anastasopoulos 29, L Charleson 26, H Ferrari 49
C: J Weidemann 48, N Moore 1, T McCallum 37
HB: K Roberts 65, R Burton 3, D Williams 23,
B: T Clurey 17, E Ratugolea, K Marshall 40
Foll: T Scully 32, M Short 63, H Jackson 39
I/C: R Burgoyne 68, C Szust 47, A Turner 46, P Cockatoo-Collins 61, M Carter 58, H Williams 62
So Rioli is named. Interesting. We just heard a press conference today that said he won't, and now he's named.

What's actually going on?

Calf, Knee, Sick (withdrawn from AFL), Personal (withdrawn from SANFL), Not playing (but named).

It's a roller coaster.

We got South next week, we should beat em, then I think we could possibly beat both the crows and maybe Centrals?

So Rioli is named. Interesting. We just heard a press conference today that said he won't, and now he's named.

Calf, Knee, Sick (withdrawn from AFL), Personal (withdrawn from SANFL), Not playing (but named).

It's a roller coaster.
Funny, it says IN: Rioli

But doesn't mention him at all in the article. So expect him not to play.

In: Burton, Moore, Ratugolea, Rioli, Turner, Carter
Out: D Aldridge (omitted), Lorenz, McEntee, Visentini (AFL)
PORT ADELAIDE will gain some valuable experience for Saturday’s SANFL clash with Glenelg, including the return from injury of captain Nick Moore.
Moore has not played since the Round 11 loss to Norwood after suffering a leg injury.
Also returning from injury are defenders Ryan Burton and Esava Ratugolea, while midfielder Aidan Turner is back after clearing concussion protocols.
The versatile Miller Carter is the other returning player named on an extended interchange bench alongside father-son prospect Rome Burgoyne, who keeps his place after making his debut in the win over North Adelaide last week.
Going out of the team that beat the Roosters are ruck Dante Visentini and midfielders Will Lorenz and Jed McEntee, who have been called into the extended AFL squad, along with SANFL contracted player Dylan Aldridge.
AFL emergencies not required for Sunday’s game on the Gold Coast may feature in the SANFL game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect Evans and Visentini to play. Rioli won't.

Lorenz to fly up as emergency and Evans probably to fly up post game as a 2nd emergency.

McEntee and Dixon will play AFL.

That's as good a side as we have put out this season - especially if Moore and Rioli actually make it onto the field.

We should be able to win this. Although I do not have great confidence in Hartlett or the club currently.

Next week the Magpies play after the Power, and if Lorenz is the only one to sit out as emergency, in theory the side that plays this week might be boosted by injecting Lorenz, Sinn, Rioli, Dixon/Lord and McKenzie into the lineup for the battle of the spoon.

We're nearing a very good spot injury wise if we can just get through this week.

It's a roller coaster.
I don't know what's going on with Rioli, but whatever it is we've handled it ****ing atrociously.

Maggies Changes:
IN: Moore, Ratugolea, Rioli, Burton, Turner, Carter
OUT: Lorenz, McEntee, Visentini (AFL), Aldridge

Maggies Side: (3 to drop in, 5 to drop out)
F: Weidemann - Pascoe - Rioli
HF: Anastasopoulos - Walsh - Charleson
C: Szust - Moore (C) - McCallum
HB: Burton - Ratugolea - R.Burgoyne
B: K.Marshall - Clurey - D.Williams
R: Scully - Short - Jackson
INT: Roberts - H.Ferrari - H.Williams - Cockatoo-Collins - Turner - Carter
EMERG: Dixon - J.Burgoyne - Jones - Narkle - McEntee - Visentini - Lorenz - F.Evans
That is probably the best line up for the Maggies this season and if Visentini plays I will be confident of a win.
Maybe I'm underestimating Scully, but I won't be quite as confident if he is the number 1 ruckman.

The Rioli thing is doing my head in. I hope Rioli plays, for many reasons Port Adelaide ... but it would be great to see him rip apart the Bays and hear them squeal about it.
The emotional toll of having AFL drafted players play against their original SANFL team is enormous, for all involved apparently. Doesn't seem to apply when they transfer players between each other though lol

That is probably the best line up for the Maggies this season and if Visentini plays I will be confident of a win.
Maybe I'm underestimating Scully, but I won't be quite as confident if he is the number 1 ruckman.

Scully/Ratugolea could probs do a decent job if Visentini doesn’t play.

2nds Port Adelaide vs Glenelg - Round 14 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back