Review Port defeat Umpires + Saints by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

lol just how much did Tredrea piss the establishment off, it's hilarious. One negative podcast and they all completely lose their minds.

Imagine how different the response to him would be if he was one of those cushy Melbournites parachuted out of their career into the media on the footy panels etc. He'd be getting the credit he deserves and the "well why didn't they play this way sooner, why did it take warren calling them out to change"

Instead its WaRrEn BiTtEr
The AFL community is a genuinely ****ed one. Short memories, double standards, and hypocrisy are the cornerstone of it all. There's really no understanding or reasoning with it. We are the white noise, whether we like it or not.

Never should have come to that but the club has been very slow to react to what was plainly clear to many Port supporters. Don't think there would be many successful Afl coaches that would have reappointed Jonas captain this season.
Agreed, though in fairness we don’t have a whole lot of obvious candidates knocking down the door, so kind of a lose-lose situation. Amazing how Jonas has rode the coattails of such an elite 2018 season for this long, it’s probably at a point where Clurey should be ahead of him in terms of selection if you take the captaincy out of the equation.

Agreed, though in fairness we don’t have a whole lot of obvious candidates knocking down the door, so kind of a lose-lose situation. Amazing how Jonas has rode the coattails of such an elite 2018 season for this long, it’s probably at a point where Clurey should be ahead of him in terms of selection if you take the captaincy out of the equation.
We havent had an obvious candidate for some time, has been very disappointing & held us back. I'm sure someone will emerge particularly if we change our head coach. I wouldn't play either of Jonas or Clurey until they show extended excellent form in the reserves. I think this should be their last season. Time to blood some kp youngsters with pace & enthusiasm.

We havent had an obvious candidate for some time, has been very disappointing & held us back. I'm sure someone will emerge particularly if we change our head coach. I wouldn't play either of Jonas or Clurey until they show extended excellent form in the reserves. I think this should be their last season. Time to blood some kp youngsters with pace & enthusiasm.
Oh yeah definitely neither of them should be best 23, would be good to see players like Pasini get a go for example. We haven’t shied away from playing first season mids and we’ve learned to persist with young key forwards since the Butcher days (see: Marshall) but never down back when it’s the most glaring hole in a lineup, even with Aliir down there.

Very good coaching and I'm glad the commentary team pointed it out post-game. It was like a chess game with Hinkley adjusting quickly early and Lyons after that forever trying to address our varied and aggressive attack.

Player development also gets a big tick from me especially with rapid improvement from Brynn Teakle and Dylan Williams.

The game varied greatly, and consequently the effect on it of different players. So I've used the Super Coach points found on Footy Wire as a reference. They are stats based and don't dictate who was best or worst e.g. a match saving mark on the goal line gets the same points as a mark by a loose player on the flank when 6 goals up.

PLAYER REVIEWS

Travis Boak (131 SC points) - Really wound the clock back. Couldn't have played much better at his height. Set-shot goals his enduring weakness so of course kicked the instinctive one and missed the easier one.

Dan Houston (110 SC points) - Always there even when he didn't have the ball. So reliable for pressure, shepherding and link play.

Jeremy Finlayson (101 SC points) - Mr Consistent at present. So dangerous as a key forward, amazing he was able to find space so often inside 50 as the Saints this year haven't bled goals easily. Strong contested marking, useful back-up ruck

Zak Butters (96 SC points) - Glad I looked at the stats because I'd have said he was a tackling machine but he's only credited with 3. Got most of his stats from close-in distribution of the ball by hand. So much crash and bash for a player his size, he must be 80% bruises this morning.

Connor Rozee (96 SC points) - He was a tackling machine. Invaluable at the clearances. 2nd only to JHF for delivering the ball inside 50. Unusually no goals although he had at least one shot I remember. Dazzlingly evasive under pressure, like the Road Runner. Must have opposition coaches leafing through catalogues of Acme products.

Ryan Burton (89 SC points) - Seems lame to just say he played well, and as expected. I thought he'd have a few more cracks at goal this week, that he might have developed a taste for it.

Charlie Dixon (86 SC points) - We didn't get Charlie the multiple goal kicker but we got the next best version, the one who twice set up goals we might not have got. And of course one himself which effectively sealed the game.

Dylan Williams (85 SC points) - Absolute cracker of a game. I have no idea what his role was other than that he wasn't a forward. Took genuine contested marks. Played a very attacking and mature brand of footy.

Jason Horne-Francis (83 SC points) - Match winner. Will be interesting to see how this game pans out when the Brownlow comes around. The best of our team, I can't see anyone from the Saints being more worthy of the 3 votes.

Sam Powell-Pepper (82 SC points) - A really good game. Such an athlete, well into the game the distance tracker came up and he was the 2nd player on it. Relentless pressure. 2 goals, almost 3.

Darcy Byrne-Jones (81 SC points) - I'd use the 'wound back the clock' phrase again except last night I'd have said he was simply a rover which he'd never been before. Only a point last night, the Coleman is starting to drift out of reach

Willem Drew (73 SC points) - Consistent and reliable as a clearance player. Good in general link play. Very good positioning and pressure when we have to go defensive. It's not a glory role and he doesn't vary too much game to game but I sometimes feel he's underappreciated.

Miles Bergman (70 SC points) - Has amazing flair. His closing speed when playing defensively caused the Saints some grief. I swear there was some low volume booing at times when he had the ball. The Sunday Mail must have sent staff over for the game

Ollie Wines (70 SC points) - For me one of his more effective games this year. 26 disposals, a significant number of those from clearances. No major high or low points but the team as a whole performed so well there didn't need to be.

Trent McKenzie (66 SC points) - Mostly good. One missed punch on an incoming ball (or was it a missed mark?). Mainly stuck in my mind because he did it last week and sold Jonas into a world of trouble.

Brynn Teakle (60 SC points) - Good game, especially given his minimal top-level experience. Probably looked better because of the pressure being applied by his teammates, but you play the cards you're dealt. Some fumbles, hesitancy, misjudgement but not too much. Really could have been pantsed by Marshall and wasn't.

Jed McEntee (46 SC points) - I thought he was in it more than his 11 disposals stats show. Mature goal.

Willie Rioli (45 SC points) - Pretty much the Willy Rioli I expected when he came from West Coast, which is the crumbing forward who gives us a couple of goals a game. And he did exactly that. I don't know if he thrives more in these high-pressure games but he seemed more energised.

Jase Burgoyne (42 SC points) - Fitted in well, did his job. I don't know how much time he had on the ground and what his role was. Probably like my Ollie Lord review to follow to keep a spot he needed to be more involved, working harder.

Aliir Aliir (41 SC points) - A fair game but a few mistakes though none that cost us (I think). But still some valuable contested work. Why so absolutely s^&tty with scoring attempts?

Ollie Lord (35 SC points) - My only negative review. Had to have been working far harder than he seemed to be. And defensive/indecisive with his few possessions, passing off to teammates to take the ball into attack.

Riley Bonner (29 SC points) - Subbed in, played credibly. 6 disposal, 3 tackles, one shot on goal for a behind. Without the stats I'd have thought he'd have been more in the game than that. May have been assigned a negating role, I didn't pick up on that if so.

Xavier Duursma (22 SC points) - injured early

Last edited:
I do wonder how what Lyon will do if the Saints lose a few games. That press conference was a little arcane. Maybe it's his way of throwing the media off. Either that or the hinges are getting a bit loose.

The first question got a rambling 10 minute answer of things that weren't asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mcentee isn’t as bad as people view him here IMO. Very competitive. Silky not but is always busting ass and putting on pressure
McEntee really impressed me live. He's quick and applies a boatload of pressure.

That free he gave going front on to mason wood in the last quarter was critical too . Held up the play when the saints were out and resulted in our players getting back and intercepting the next kick.

Said on Sen postmatch that he did his pcl against the doggies and is pretty restricted in his mobility since it hasn't fully healed yet.
I actually thought Dixon was amongst the most influential on the ground.

playing him as a true full-forward, with a designated rover was a great tactic. Things you learn….

Just watching the replay now. BT calls Bergman Horne-Francis twice in the first thirty seconds alone.

We managed to win that game carrying 4-5 passengers.

Lord, Teakle, Mcentee, Burgyone, Bonner.

Butters was good.
I don’t think McEntee was a weak-link or passenger, at least nowhere near as much as the others you’ve listed. Teakle and Bonner were our weakest links. Lord was ok for his age/experience but clearly gets replaced by Marshall. Burgoyne got a bit better as the game wore on but is not the player he was last year.

The first question got a rambling 10 minute answer of things that weren't asked.

It was bizarre. I wasn't even sure he was talking about the game that had just been played.

Ollie Wines is in absolutely dreadful form. Atrocious football at the moment.

Has been playing the lowest tog of our team most weeks

Something is clearly wrong.. playing injured?

The big concern is his clearances are way way down.

Averaging the lowest of his career bar his debut.

Mcentee isn’t as bad as people view him here IMO. Very competitive. Silky not but is always busting ass and putting on pressure
He's improved on last year no doubt. He's still not actually good, but he's not genuinely in the conversation for our worst ever player anymore like he was last year. Doesn't offer any less than someone like Jake Neade did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port defeat Umpires + Saints by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back