Review Port defeat Umpires + Saints by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

McEntee really impressed me live. He's quick and applies a boatload of pressure.

That free he gave going front on to mason wood in the last quarter was critical too . Held up the play when the saints were out and resulted in our players getting back and intercepting the next kick.
This is why all the calls for drop this player, drop that player irks me. Newer and younger players need to be given a proper chance by us as well as by the club. Again and again we read on here from posters about how they had jumped the gun and were proven wrong on vilifying young or new players before they have found their feet. Not everyone will be a gun out of the gate like JFH ( who also by the way had an interrupted pre season, just wow)

I don’t think McEntee was a weak-link or passenger, at least nowhere near as much as the others you’ve listed. Teakle and Bonner were our weakest links. Lord was ok for his age/experience but clearly gets replaced by Marshall. Burgoyne got a bit better as the game wore on but is not the player he was last year.
Yeah, you're probably right. Was going to go over and edit him out of that comment but too late. He is serviceable. Still not sure going forward he's in my best 22 but he brings pressure and a good tackler. I am not expecting much more from Lord at this point but his game needs developing.

Very good coaching and I'm glad the commentary team pointed it out post-game. It was like a chess game with Hinkley adjusting quickly early and Lyons after that forever trying to address our varied and aggressive attack.

Player development also gets a big tick from me especially with rapid improvement from Brynn Teakle and Dylan Williams.

The game varied greatly, and consequently the effect on it of different players. So I've used the Super Coach points found on Footy Wire as a reference. They are stats based and don't dictate who was best or worst e.g. a match saving mark on the goal line gets the same points as a mark by a loose player on the flank when 6 goals up.

PLAYER REVIEWS

Travis Boak (131 SC points) - Really wound the clock back. Couldn't have played much better at his height. Set-shot goals his enduring weakness so of course kicked the instinctive one and missed the easier one.

Dan Houston (110 SC points) - Always there even when he didn't have the ball. So reliable for pressure, shepherding and link play.

Jeremy Finlayson (101 SC points) - Mr Consistent at present. So dangerous as a key forward, amazing he was able to find space so often inside 50 as the Saints this year haven't bled goals easily. Strong contested marking, Useful back-up ruck

Zak Butters (96 SC points) - Glad I looked at the stats because I'd have said he was a tackling machine but he's only credited with 3. Got most of his stats from close-in distribution of the ball by hand. So much crash and bash for a player his size, he must be 80% bruises this morning.

Connor Rozee (96 SC points) - He was a tackling machine. Invaluable at the clearances. 2nd only to JHF for delivering the ball inside 50. Unusually no goals although he had at least one shot I remember. Dazzlingly evasive under pressure, like the Road Runner. Must have opposition coaches leafing through catalogues of Acme products.

Ryan Burton (89 SC points) - Seems lame to just say he played well, and as expected. I thought he'd have a few more cracks at goal this week, that he might have developed a taste for it.

Charlie Dixon (86 SC points) - We didn't get Charlie the multiple goal kicker but we got the next best version, the one who twice set up goals we might not have got. And of course one himself which effectively sealed the game.

Dylan Williams (85 SC points) - Absolute cracker of a game. I have no idea what his role was other than that he wasn't a forward. Took genuine contested marks. Played a very attacking and mature brand of footy.

Jason Horne-Francis (83 SC points) - Match winner. Will be interesting to see how this game pans out when the Brownlow comes around. The best of our team, I can't see anyone from the Saints being more worthy of the 3 votes.

Sam Powell-Pepper (82 SC points) - A really good game. Such an athlete, well into the game the distance tracker came up and he was the 2nd player on it. Relentless pressure. 2 goals, almost 3.

Darcy Byrne-Jones (81 SC points) - I'd use the 'wound back the clock' phrase again except last night I'd have said he was simply a rover which he'd never been before. Only a point last night, the Coleman is starting to drift out of reach

Willem Drew (73 SC points) - Consistent and reliable as a clearance player. Good in general link play. Very good positioning and pressure when we have to go defensive. It's not a glory role and he doesn't vary too much game to game but I sometimes feel he's underappreciated.

Miles Bergman (70 SC points) - Has amazing flair. His closing speed when playing defensively caused the Saints some grief. I swear there was some low volume booing at times when he had the ball. The Sunday Mail must have sent staff over for the game

Ollie Wines (70 SC points) - For me one of his more effective games this year. 26 disposals, a significant number of those from clearances. No major high or low points but the team as a whole performed so well there didn't need to be.

Trent McKenzie (66 SC points) - Mostly good. One missed punch on an incoming ball (or was it a missed mark?). Mainly stuck in my mind because he did it last week and sold Jonas into a world of trouble.

Brynn Teakle (60 SC points) - Good game, especially given his minimal top-level experience. Probably looked better because of the pressure being applied by his teammates, but you play the cards you're dealt. Some fumbles, hesitancy, misjudgement but not too much. Really could have been pantsed by Marshall and wasn't.

Jed McEntee (46 SC points) - I thought he was in it more than his 11 disposals stats show. Mature goal.

Willie Rioli (45 SC points) - Pretty much the Willy Rioli I expected when he came from West Coast, which is the crumbing forward who gives us a couple of goals a game. And he did exactly that. I don't know if he thrives more in these high-pressure games but he seemed more energised.

Jase Burgoyne (42 SC points) - Fitted in well, did his job. I don't know how much time he had on the ground and what his role was. Probably like my Ollie Lord review to follow to keep a spot he needed to be more involved, working harder.

Aliir Aliir (41 SC points) - A fair game but a few mistakes though none that cost us (I think). But still some valuable contested work. Why so absolutely s^&tty with scoring attempts?

Ollie Lord (35 SC points) - My only negative review. Had to have been working far harder than he seemed to be. And defensive/indecisive with his few possessions, passing off to teammates to take the ball into attack.

Riley Bonner (29 SC points) - Subbed in, played credibly. 6 disposal, 3 tackles, one shot on goal for a behind. Without the stats I'd have thought he'd have been more in the goal than that. May have been assigned a negating role, I didn't pick up on that if so.

Xavier Duursma (22 SC points) - injured early
Hinkley has never adjusted quickly in his coaching career. You sure he's making these moves? Seems unlikely given his coaching history. Why have things changed since he went to the bench, why have leadership players been dropped finally after long stints of under performance? Can he see the game clearer from down there & hence make decisive changes? According to Hinkley he can't so I think the strategic moves are being done by others.

He is definitely having a positive influence on the players with his encouragement from the bench though, that is clear as they are far more committed since he went to the bench & post public criticism of him by WT.

Chad Cornes was asked about Ken on fiveaa.
Said ( naturally) the boys love him.
Said the Kenny critisism he thinks might have stung the younger boys a bit (and could have made them more determined?)
As for forwards..they have been too Charlie focused in the past and is a focus to rectify going forward.
Is proud of what Charlie did, considering ( injury)
JHF trains very hard, very committed and boys absolutely love him. Lol 🦘
Bergman given high credit too.

I’d have thought they’d be glad a local rival got shafted. It would be like us booing Dangerfield because he left the Crows.
Well just on last nights effort, I wish he had stayed at North, we probably would have won. North aren't really a rival for us, but him going to your guys makes you a rival for a top eight spot. Loving the Finlayson story, he playing great football during a really difficult personal time.

Would be the gutsiest call of Hinkley's coaching career if he makes it. Will he make it? Probably not, but I'll be impressed if he does.

I think Kenny will try and manage him til the bye and give him a farewell game, where we all talk about how his knees gave out and what great sacrifices he made.

Similar to Kane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Saints fans - beat your HOME game record vs Port Adelaide by nearly 3,000!

-w00t-

View attachment 1673184
Sitting top of the ladder, at home on a Friday night, in their big 150th year celebration, in a game most supporters would've expected to win, and they manage 25k through the gate.

With an awkward amount of teams about to be part of the competition, and no super clear standout for a 20th team, in any other league there would have to be honest discussions on their viability. It wouldn't happen here though.

Yet they complain about hardly getting any home games against the SA teams, well that's the reason.

150 years of mediocrity.
Agreed, even with all the fuss that was made about tarps I can't recall too many sub 25k crowds, but there have been more than a few aints v kangaroos games where crowds have been well under 20k.

Top of the ladder.

Friday night footy.

Playing another Top 8 team.

54% of the stadium empty.
Victorians love their footy, but hate Docklands even more apparently

I thought this was a highly entertaining close game to be honest. Would have been great viewing for neutrals.

We played pretty damn well, tho we were really carried by very very few players offensively while team defense was a team unit with lots contributing and doing their role.

Boak wound back the clock

Houston returned to the form he is capable of

Jhf wow. Just showed he’s a high end elite player and he’s just a full motor away from being one of the best couple of players in the league.

He carried our midfield at stoppages tonight. Had more clearances than just about our entire rest of our team.

Rozee his ability to explode away from players pressuring him and turn what for others would be a handball to others within reach of the same pressure into an inside 50 is so critical to us. We were just far too quick to spread outnof stoppages for saints and that was jhf rozee butters and arguably boak contributed too.

Finlayson just keeps chipping in.

Butters I thought was super important last night. His manic pressure and 2nd 3rd efforts just had oppo players playing like they were coated in baby oil on a skating rink. They couldn’t get off anything clean enough while looking over their shoulders. He looked far quicker than I’ve seen in a long time. Was arguably in our top 2-3 best players for mine.

Bergman as I’ve been saying for a while now he’s been protecting our defence. I think he’s easily won his position every week for over a month now and last night the saints should have been looking to put the ball where he wasn’t, cause he just killed any contest that came near him.

Burton thought he was pretty decent without being a star but for some reason I didn’t pay lots of attention to him so one I might not have caught everything he did or didn’t do.

Spp has become one of our most reliable players.

Drew is having a very good year and I thought he was excellent last night. Another shutdown job and I thought he also got into some dangerous spots.

Williams. Lol what a turnaround. He has such cool safe hands. Hard not to love. He’s not quick, but he’s strong with the pressure, collected and such a low spearing kick when going the other way.

Wines. Such a disappointing year. Still finding the ball, and he’s doing some of the grunt work that allows others to get free that’s not getting the kudos, but still. We want more from him. The low clearance numbers are a worry, tho I wonder if we’re just preferring the ball in other players hands coming out of stoppages so wines is a pawn to block and handball to those guys, which if so is very smart work. But I’m only guessing here without better stoppage vision.

Dbj not the results on paper of other weeks but still a presence

Rioli got the results and looked dangerous

Teakle was an absolute shit show. That dropped open mark where he fell over all by himself with no pressure is etched into my mind. I’ve said it before, he will never make it.

McKenzie was brilliant. Thought he was our best back by a mile last night. Would almost have him among the best on the ground. Doubt it’s reflected in the stats but he was just great. That closing speed last night had me hard.

Dixon clearly looked hampered but still competed and influenced the game.

Burgoyne was pretty meh, he’s still young and ahead of where I thought he might be at this stage. I’m really not sure why we’re in a rush to get him to 50 games while talls need to be elite in all facets of the game before they can be trusted

Mcintee continued his run of doing his role well enough. Worked to hard to be in the spots to make the other teams life harder whether they had the ball or us. He’s still a player I would want to make way when we’ve got a higher upside player ready, but at the moment there arguably isn’t and mcintee deserves his spot.

Alir. Weird game last night. Saints were hyper focused on him and he was out of sorts. Just fumbled all the time. In saying that his opponents never really hurt us and alirs fumbly game still helped us especially with the saints being so Alir hyper focused.

Bonner. Thought he was pretty poor to be hornet. Could see a massive gap between what duursma was offering to Bonner when they switched.

Lord was an absolute traffic cone last night. At the very least a 197cm traffic cone still serves the side as opponents still have to commit to a traffic cone if he’s that big. Also he got held really badly on numerous occasions and the umps gave him nothing. I swear on that Bergman inside 50 entry lord had a bee line on the front of that contest when his opponent grabbed his jumper. As much as a traffic cone as he was, if he didn’t play for port he would have had at least a couple of free kicks last night including a monty in front of goal.

Duursma was on fire last night. He’s been in really good form this year and I think improving every week. Was probably one of our best afield when he went out the game. Back to his courageous hard running self. I think there’s something to be said for knowing who you are and what you do. He’s a runner… run boy.

There was some early days Dan Houston in tonight's performance.
Williams keeps that going and there's a future there.
He’s got the confidence and ability to hit those targets in the corridor. Shouldn’t be dropped again.
He’s lucky to still be on the list but full credit to him for working his ass off to be in this position.

He’s got the confidence and ability to hit those targets in the corridor. Shouldn’t be dropped again.
He’s lucky to still be on the list but full credit to him for working his ass off to be in this position.
It has taken an while for him but he looks alright in that role.

Top of the ladder.

Friday night footy.

Playing another Top 8 team.

54% of the stadium empty.
Strangest part is we are honing in on 60k members, we only got 35k v the Bulldogs. Our members don't turn up. 12 years of being totally crap may have something to do with it.

Anyway will leave you guys alone, all the best, if I was a Croweater and supported a SA AFL team it would be the harlequin mob.

Among the shambolic umpiring performance what really fired me up in the last quarter especially was the continual holding and blocking of our key forwards. Not one free kick. There was a blocking free paid but guess who to?

And that centre bounce infringement against Finlayson when the umpire bounced the ball straight to the Saints ruck, I mean WTF?

And they pay 50 for dissent. Our players would need therapy having to keep the rage inside.

Very good coaching and I'm glad the commentary team pointed it out post-game. It was like a chess game with Hinkley adjusting quickly early and Lyons after that forever trying to address our varied and aggressive attack.
Hinkley has stated publicly he cannot see the game from the bench. He's rarely on the headset communicating with the box. He's also admitted publicly there's not much he can do once the game has started 🤔 Only quoting the great man.

Last edited:
Strangest part is we are honing in on 60k members, we only got 35k v the Bulldogs. Our members don't turn up. 12 years of being totally crap may have something to do with it.

Anyway will leave you guys alone, all the best, if I was a Croweater and supported a SA AFL team it would be the harlequin mob.
Are the majority of members on board with Ross as coach - difficult question but general feel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port defeat Umpires + Saints by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back