Autopsy Port Downs Cats by 38

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea why we continue to disregard the value of a ruckman to the point we don’t even bother playing one? That’s why we didn’t get a touch for periods because we got smashed in the ruck! We play Melbourne next week who have the 2 best rucks in the league if we don’t play one, or even two we will be obliterated!!!!

Also give Cameron a run in the twos he is seriously not even trying..
After the game Scott said no ruckman were available.
Which is strange because he said Stanley was available earlier in the week.

Fractured eye socket
Nasal fracture
Ruptured testicle
Toe joint injured costing our reigning B&F 3/4 of the season
Partially collapsed lung

What other freak injury awaits us?
SDK hurting his knee round 1 when jogging backwards on his own...

What kind of genius’ are we when we don’t play danger when not injured v the dogs but he continues to play injured last night?

We had 2 players go down injured around the same time last night - Bruhn went straight down to the rooms with the team doctor after an AC joint injury and was able to move this right arm at the time

Dangerfield stayed on the ground and likely didn't let on the seriousness of things at the time - look at the incident when it happened and how he pushed Tuohy away when he came to check on him

With only 1 sub we couldn't take both players out of the match, and maybe Dangerfield said he was right to keep playing

So Danger getting injured is probably round about the time we started losing yesterday.

Either way season is done, we won't win many without him and Guth.

Danger had 3 touches in the first quarter - we were 20 points up at quarter time against the top of the ladder team, because of the dominance of Holmes and Bruhn against “the next fab 4”.

It’s getting harder and harder to see a path to the flag, but we’re good enough to make finals when anything can happen.

And regardless if we get the flag, need to get more finals experience into the young guns asap.

Attachments

• 6F9F84AE-84A7-41DA-8A5D-501BCAC349B9.jpeg
    6F9F84AE-84A7-41DA-8A5D-501BCAC349B9.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 45
After the game Scott said no ruckman were available.
Which is strange because he said Stanley was available earlier in the week.
Yep. Picked that up too. Stanley didn’t get on the plane. Was always going to come back via VfL (his request). Of course that was NOT what Scott suggested. Indeed he talked about the excitement of having two ruckman play!!

The other “inconsistency” (avoiding saying lie!) was pre game being very clear that the 3 new ins had all done huge training block and were held back to make sure they didn’t just come back but could play at their best. He was very confident in that strategy.

After the game of course they always knew that the players coming back would not be at their best!

Midfield was beaten especially after Dangerfield and Bruhn were hurt, but the backline really does offer little to no resistance, it's been one of the hallmarks of the past 6-8 weeks. I get the midfield losing has an impact, but they're still allowed to actually defend from time to time.
The excuses people give for the obviously deficient performances by our defence are really grating me.

They are playing like a group expecting to not have to defend because the midfield will protect them when reality is the opposite.

#guardinggrass

We had 2 players go down injured around the same time last night - Bruhn went straight down to the rooms with the team doctor after an AC joint injury and was able to move this right arm at the time

Dangerfield stayed on the ground and likely didn't let on the seriousness of things at the time - look at the incident when it happened and how he pushed Tuohy away when he came to check on him

With only 1 sub we couldn't take both players out of the match, and maybe Dangerfield said he was right to keep playing
We were also thin on inside mids with Blicavs playing ruck. And of course we lose 2 inside mids after a quarter.

Arguably we should've hidden Danger up forward more because he couldn't compete around the ball. But the options were limited. Only Atkins, Blicavs, Holmes, O'Connor and Bowes were fit of our guys that go through the centre square. We could've played J Henry or SDK more in the ruck to free up Blicavs? Or play Duncan, Stengle or Close in there more.

In the end I think we decided an injured Danger was just about our best option.

Yep. Picked that up too. Stanley didn’t get on the plane. Was always going to come back via VfL (his request). Of course that was NOT what Scott suggested. Indeed he talked about the excitement of having two ruckman play!!

The other “inconsistency” (avoiding saying lie!) was pre game being very clear that the 3 new ins had all done huge training block and were held back to make sure they didn’t just come back but could play at their best. He was very confident in that strategy.

After the game of course they always knew that the players coming back would not be at their best!
Holmes looked amazing but ran out of comrades and perhaps petrol tickets.

We won’t know how Danger was given the injury.

Duncan shows signs of his class but also signs of concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knevitt was unlucky to be omitted, but looking at our ins ahead of last night i understood why he was one who was omitted - Dangerfield, Duncan & Holmes were always coming in once available

What pissed me off after the match though was Bowes efforts as the sub and his lack of impact & intent when he came on - I know he only came on in the third quarter, but easily his worse match for us, and it's frustrating as I thought he had showed some good signs earlier in the season

It's likely both Dangerfield & Bruhn miss the next week or two, so surely Knevitt is straight back in on Thursday night - give him half a match in the VFL tonight to ensure he gets a run in his legs after last weeks bye, but then rest him in the second half
His first game back in a team where he has played about 2 games, then had a lengthy lay off hurt.. coming on right when we were getting absolutely roasted in the guts.... it isn't exactly a recipe for a great performance, especially from someone fringe best 22... and certain not something to be pissed off about I would think

We were also thin on inside mids with Blicavs playing ruck. And of course we lose 2 inside mids after a quarter.

Arguably we should've hidden Danger up forward more because he couldn't compete around the ball. But the options were limited. Only Atkins, Blicavs, Holmes, O'Connor and Bowes were fit of our guys that go through the centre square. We could've played J Henry or SDK more in the ruck to free up Blicavs? Or play Duncan, Stengle or Close in there more.

In the end I think we decided an injured Danger was just about our best option.
I have been surprised we haven’t experimented more with those forwards rotating through. Stengle great at clearance but understand robbing Peter to pay Paul (but at some point no need to have him in forward line if not getting there or he isn’t getting it).

Close I think would compliment alongside danger atkins and bruin. Maybe it wouldn’t work but I would have thought we would see him get a turn. Maybe they just think he can’t play that contest role?

Danger had 3 touches in the first quarter - we were 20 points up at quarter time against the top of the ladder team, because of the dominance of Holmes and Bruhn against “the next fab 4”.

It’s getting harder and harder to see a path to the flag, but we’re good enough to make finals when anything can happen.

And regardless if we get the flag, need to get more finals experience into the young guns asap.

Personally, I don't see us winning enough games if Danger is out for any amount of time, and we don't know the extent of Bruhn's injury.

We have too many top 8 clashes up coming which we won't be at our best for with midfields that are better than ours and teams in all round better form then us to make finals and that's even with KP games coming.

We just haven't had the bounce of the ball this season, and to be honest if we used all our good fortune and luck last year then i am still pretty content with it all.
The biggest weakness we had was in the midfield in terms of depth, and that has been the area impacted the most by injuries. We looked great the first quarter when all fresh and well, Blitz as a solo ruck just doesn't work and that roll of the dice was a boo boo, he starts to get worn down especially against the big aggressive physical rucks, and it further weakens our midfield depth. We just couldn't get our hands on the ball as he started getting smashed just in the contest the longer it went and by then Danger and Bruhn were in strife and Port waltzed it out of the middle at will, the defenders are all getting exposed with zero pressure up the ground and then because they start to feel the pinch they start making mistakes and get reactive.
Really the flow on from Rhys being hurt has been huge as it just has caused a domino effect.

Jezza must be carrying something, he looks a shadow of himself and they won't even chuck him on the ball to try run him into the game. Do we have access to the GPS numbers? I would suggest his distance or repeat sprints would be well well down on the start of the year. If Neale is fit soon I half wonder if they give him a game with Hawk and just give Jez a couple of weeks off... but the season may be over by that point anyway.

It is such a shame that Clark is hurt, perfect time to give him some bonus games that will pay off in the coming years... but as is our season, it just hasn't bounced our way.

It isn't the end of the world, but some forward planning may start to take precedence over all in on this year... some may say that is a s**t thing to say but for me i would prefer getting games into Knev, Bowes etc and dropping games rather than a frantic sprint to finals that just ends in us cooked and smacked in an elimination final anyway.

We have been unbelievably blessed as Cats fans so I don't see the need to get too down in the dumps about it all... just is what it is this year

That's a perfect summary Willo_

Sometimes you are the rooster and sometimes you are the feather duster.

It all fell into place in 2022 and in 2023 the nightmare just continues - circumstances have just robbed us of consistency and cohesion and despite enormous effort the deficit is too large.
It may well be time to consider the future more and do a partial reset if we drop games that are coming up , I'm fine with that ( 2022 flag tucked away) and I trust the Club to fashion a pathway forward to set us up to challenge again.

FWIW I should have also mentioned I do also think our defence has been shit, whilst the lack of pressure up field isn't helping they are zoning off too much and then losing too many 1 on 1s when called on for it... I thought that they started to turn the corner against the Dogs in the 2nd half but a long way off where we were 12 months ago

Im hearing Danger could be out for 6-8 weeks, if so then thats season done if not already
Michael Mansfield broken ribs when back on punctures a lung and played the QF the next week,Luke Hodge recently similar thing,6 or 8 weeks seam excessive.

Last edited:
His first game back in a team where he has played about 2 games, then had a lengthy lay off hurt.. coming on right when we were getting absolutely roasted in the guts.... it isn't exactly a recipe for a great performance, especially from someone fringe best 22... and certain not something to be pissed off about I would think
I suppose us humans can’t regulate what pisses us off sometimes…. So don’t want to diminish those feelings..

But I tend to agree with your analysis. And it led me to a deep dive on subs this year as my memory was that only Ollie and Rohan had done it well.

What is says to me is sub (in particular tactical sub is really hard to impact unless the game is already in control). Certainly Cats haven’t figured it out.

The only one that bucks that trend is seasoned impact player Rohan. Against Carlton. He came on in a loss but did his thing. Interestingly he got a full half to work his way into game

Henry did same the week after also with a full half but also within a team that turned it on after half time.

But those two support the feeling that I would have one as sub and one in the team each week!

Anyone else who had impact as sub was in easy wins and they have lots of time.

All other subs (losses or q4) have had limited impact other than Knevitt against Giants. And maybe Dempsey impact was better than stats against Adelaide in tough win.

But dempsey/simpson/bowes/Parfitt/Whyte/Clark all had limited impacts which accounts for half of our game

Lessons? Need a real impact player as sub. Issue is those (Rohan and Henry) might be in our best 22! Otherwise don’t expect much!

Wonder whether chucky gets another year as professional sub!

Analysis

1686886718782.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port Downs Cats by 38

Remove this Banner Ad

Back