Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mass player exodus from at least three Victorian clubs is a live possibility if the AFL is forced to implement long-term hubs again in 2021.

The league has told clubs it will exhaust every possible option before considering long-term hubs for a second consecutive season - welcome news to some players at Essendon, Carlton and Richmond, who would seriously consider leaving their teams and returning to Victoria if their trips were extended beyond two or three weeks.

The issue is in sharp focus at these three clubs because they have a bye in Round 13 and would prefer to return home to spend time with family next week, even if Melbourne is in a lockdown.

Remember when the 2020 premiership had an asterisk until two Victorian teams made the Grand Final? Can see that happening again if Victorian teams can't sleep in their own beds for more than a couple of weeks.

Remember when the 2020 premiership had an asterisk until two Victorian teams made the Grand Final? Can see that happening again if Victorian teams can't sleep in their own beds for more than a couple of weeks.

Ridiculous isnt it? The 3 Vic teams in the top 4 have left the "Sporting Capital of the Universe" a grand total of 6 times collectively in 33 games so far, yet a couple weeks in a hub will render that advantage null & void and their cries of unjust circumstance would be heard across the nullarbor and the media will petition for football to come 'home'.

Ridiculous isnt it? The 3 Vic teams in the top 4 have left the "Sporting Capital of the Universe" a grand total of 6 times collectively in 33 games so far, yet a couple weeks in a hub will render that advantage null & void and their cries of unjust circumstance would be heard across the nullarbor and the media will petition for football to come 'home'.
It’s offensively bullshit

Past us by 2023? What in the actual fu** are you smoking man?

Their dead cat bounce is off the back of a Walker masterclass in the first 4 rounds and being propped up by solid performances of Sloane, Smith, Seedsman, Crouch and Keays. Their youth is a variable who's who of dud draft picks in Jones, McHenry and Fogarty topped up with SANFL types in Frampton, Rowe, McAdam etc. We could be coached by a Frankenstein of the worst parts of Choco, Primus and Hinkley and still be ahead of them in two years time based off of talent alone.

where do you see us in 2023? realistically i see this year as kind of a last roll of the dice.

even now we still have robert gray dragging us over the line.
dixon will be 32-33 if he's still playing.
boak will be 34-35. i'd love him to be a freak like boomer harvey but you never know.
gray will be 35, if he doesn't retire this year i'd expect it next year.

butters is a beast and duursma will be great but they both have difficult injuries to come back 100% from.

if hinkley is still coaching in 2023 i'll spew up.

where do you see us in 2023? realistically i see this year as kind of a last roll of the dice.

even now we still have robert gray dragging us over the line.
dixon will be 32-33 if he's still playing.
boak will be 34-35. i'd love him to be a freak like boomer harvey but you never know.
gray will be 35, if he doesn't retire this year i'd expect it next year.

butters is a beast and duursma will be great but they both have difficult injuries to come back 100% from.

if hinkley is still coaching in 2023 i'll spew up.
Did you see the U28 team?
It’s not too far from the current, we’ll still be top 8 side, will we win it all? Depends how Marshall and Georgiadas come on...and if Hinkley is sacked.

Did you see the U28 team?
It’s not too far from the current, we’ll still be top 8 side, will we win it all? Depends how Marshall and Georgiadas come on...and if Hinkley is sacked.

i did. on paper looks alright but we've had a good team on paper for the last 8 years. thanks kenny.

forward is a concern as i'm not sure todd is gonna make it. more convinced on mitch

i did. on paper looks alright but we've had a good team on paper for the last 8 years. thanks kenny.

forward is a concern as i'm not sure todd is gonna make it. more convinced on mitch
So, back to this discussion.
Considering Nicks is just a younger Hinkley, but with a spoon. Which list would you prefer?

ours. i think however its entirely possible nicks is a better coach than kern.
I think with clever recruiting we will be around the mark.

mitch will be our FF and a good one. When a Charlie was in Rick in the 1st Mitch looked dominant, when Charlie went forward we were too Dixon focused.

todd is a good CHF, we will need another tall, perhaps Lord or Ladhams.

gray will be gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ours. i think however its entirely possible nicks is a better coach than kern.
Not based on results so far he isn’t.
But then again as your insinuating, it’s not hard to be better than Ken.

Not based on results so far he isn’t.
But then again as your insinuating, it’s not hard to be better than Ken.

if you look at pure W/L yeah. their list last year (and mostly this year) was complete trash though. 4 wins including beating geelong and melbourne (competitive for 3/4 against richmond) is a big jump. losing to hawthorn in tasmania was hilarious though.

if you look at pure W/L yeah. their list last year (and mostly this year) was complete trash though. 4 wins including beating geelong and melbourne (competitive for 3/4 against richmond) is a big jump. losing to hawthorn in tasmania was hilarious though.
Was the club in a worse state than us in 2013 for direct comparison?
I don’t think it was. Taking the spoon with the players he had was shit.

ROUND 12 FIXTURE (All times AEST)

Friday June 4

Melbourne v Brisbane Lions, Giants Stadium (7:50pm)

Saturday June 5

Sydney Swans v St Kilda, SCG (1:45pm)

Adelaide v Collingwood, Adelaide Oval (4:35pm)

Essendon v Richmond, Optus Stadium (7:40pm)

Sunday June 6

Carlton v West Coast Eagles, SCG (3:20pm)

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs, Optus Stadium (6:40pm)

Was the club in a worse state than us in 2013 for direct comparison?
I don’t think it was. Taking the spoon with the players he had was sh*t.

i was just looking at their Rd 1 team last year. on paper it looks much better than their Rd 1 team this year which was basically a bunch of nobodies.

so yeah, 2020 being as bad as fitzroy was a shithouse result. can you put that all on nicks though? he inherited a dog turd sandwich in terms of an incompetent administration, and an unhappy playing group who were constantly walking out the door.

i guess he took them at their lowest ebb. kern took over when there was already some light at the end of the tunnel and rode the upswing for a couple of years. then delivered 7 years of poo.

ROUND 12 FIXTURE (All times AEST)

Friday June 4

Melbourne v Brisbane Lions, Giants Stadium (7:50pm)

Saturday June 5

Sydney Swans v St Kilda, SCG (1:45pm)

Adelaide v Collingwood, Adelaide Oval (4:35pm)

Essendon v Richmond, Optus Stadium (7:40pm)

Sunday June 6

Carlton v West Coast Eagles, SCG (3:20pm)

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs, Optus Stadium (6:40pm)

I wonder if St Nicola will be as accommodating with Geelong. Don't **** it up, Victoria!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back