Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Dawson is the right call.

Easily their best player, maybe even their only genuinely good player right now.

If he can captain them for the next 5-7 years that's enough time for their young early rounders to all come online.
Mmmh? Jeez, you are selling Laird short! Laird IMO is easily their best player, with Dawson the closest second.

I had thought Laird as the more experienced player, would be a lay-down misère for the job, especially in view of the fact that Dawson just blew in with the last wind.

Ah well, if the players played a part in the choice, then what can you say ... they got their man, so its up to him now. No pressure!

Mmmh? Jeez, you are selling Laird short! Laird IMO is easily their best player, with Dawson the closest second.

I had thought Laird as the more experienced player, would be a lay-down misère for the job, especially in view of the fact that Dawson just blew in with the last wind.

Ah well, if the players played a part in the choice, then what can you say ... they got their man, so its up to him now. No pressure!
Laird was their best 5 years ago. Hasnt had the same impact in recent years.

Laird was their best 5 years ago. Hasnt had the same impact in recent years.
I thought he was amazing last year. Between him & Dawson, they kept that lot out of the crap heap. He was a great running defender 5 years ago, but then their whole team was at it's zenith ... been a basket case since, with him being the only decent one worth mentioning.

Dawson is definitely captain material, but I just thought it was premature. Ah, well, their call ... will be interesting watching it pan out.

I thought he was amazing last year. Between him & Dawson, they kept that lot out of the crap heap. He was a great running defender 5 years ago, but then their whole team was at it's zenith ... been a basket case since, with him being the only decent one worth mentioning.

Dawson is definitely captain material, but I just thought it was premature. Ah, well, their call ... will be interesting watching it pan out.
Yep lets face it we all really want the texan racist as captain still. Was so toxic he destroyed their club from the inside out - imagine if they had better leadership over the last decade and managed to keep Danger, Lever, Cameron, etc. Nightmare fuel.

Yep lets face it we all really want the texan racist as captain still. Was so toxic he destroyed their club from the inside out - imagine if they had better leadership over the last decade and managed to keep Danger, Lever, Cameron, etc. Nightmare fuel.
Add Jack Gunston to that ... four absolute guns, making a backbone of a side, across defence, midfield, and attack! We complain (and rightly so) about Port, but geez, they are a basket case!

The Cows obviously decided to go for a long term Captain hence they picked a 25 year old over the 29 year old Laird. About the only other candidates in the age bracket are Doedee and Keays and obviously they think Dawson has more going for him than those two. Plus Dawson is a local product so there is no go home factor for him and the Cows are probably shit scared that Doedee and Keays might join the long list of players exiting their caustic culture.

Hopefully this does not give Kochie ideas as I do not think Jason Horne-Francis is ready for the Captaincy just yet. :)

Side note. Did anyone see the 7 news tonight (I know it's s**t, but there was something my wife wanted to check out)? I couldn't find any report via google, but apparently Tom Powell's father was in court today. I only heard bits and pieces of the report but the suggestion was that he had charges dropped for one matter today, but noted he had another matter due in a few months time. Again wasn't paying much attention but thought the news mentioned the charges were of a broadly similar nature to crimes that North Melbourne seem to have an inconsistent view on, depending upon whether the player plays for you or another team. Did anyone see that?
Came across Matt Powell at work. He was a builder . Was quite good for a while but lost the plot , his jobs crumbled , rumour had it he was on the ice so all downhill from there I guess

The Cows obviously decided to go for a long term Captain hence they picked a 25 year old over the 29 year old Laird. About the only other candidates in the age bracket are Doedee and Keays and obviously they think Dawson has more going for him than those two. Plus Dawson is a local product so there is no go home factor for him and the Cows are probably s**t scared that Doedee and Keays might join the long list of players exiting their caustic culture.

Hopefully this does not give Kochie ideas as I do not think Jason Horne-Francis is ready for the Captaincy just yet. :)
Next year will do just fine :cool:

There was a tweet yesterday from a crow supporter lamenting how their supporters start fretting about a player leaving despite no word from the club or media. No names but wouldn't be surprised if it was Doedee.

There was a tweet yesterday from a crow supporter lamenting how their supporters start fretting about a player leaving despite no word from the club or media. No names but wouldn't be surprised if it was Doedee.
That would be terrible for their backline, if true. Doedee is easily Adelaide’s most experienced key defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the first thing that came to my mind when Dawson was announced as their new captain after just one season. Doedee seemed like he was being groomed as the heir apparent for a while... he's a FA end of this season too.

AFL 2023: What Jordan Dawson being named Crows captain could mean for Tom Doedee’s future​

After Jordan Dawson was unveiled as Adelaide’s new captain, the chatter started immediately across the border. So, what does the decision mean for Tom Doedee’s future?

Just after 11am on Saturday morning the phones of every Victorian list manager started to blow up.
That was when the news dropped about Jordan Dawson‘s appointment as the new Adelaide Crows captain but the phone calls weren’t about him, it was about the player he’d leapfrogged over to get the job.

Tom Doedee was already one of the biggest names in the 2023 free agent pool, now he‘s at the top of the pops given you don’t have to be Nostradamus to work out how the next eight months will unfold.

The Crows defender has already put contract talks on hold, they will remain that way as he gets his way back from injury, and then by mid-season when the Crows are most likely struggling again he‘ll privately start to look at the big-time offers coming from over the border.

And then when the season comes to a close, the former Geelong Falcon will reveal that suddenly the pull of home is too much and he‘ll be activating his free agency status to get back to Victoria.

In-between time, there will be plenty of denials and pledges of love for Adelaide but mark February 11 down as the day all 10 Victorian clubs started formulating their juicy offers for the 25-year-old centre half-back.

Link

AFL 2023: What Jordan Dawson being named Crows captain could mean for Tom Doedee’s future​

After Jordan Dawson was unveiled as Adelaide’s new captain, the chatter started immediately across the border. So, what does the decision mean for Tom Doedee’s future?

Just after 11am on Saturday morning the phones of every Victorian list manager started to blow up.
That was when the news dropped about Jordan Dawson‘s appointment as the new Adelaide Crows captain but the phone calls weren’t about him, it was about the player he’d leapfrogged over to get the job.

Tom Doedee was already one of the biggest names in the 2023 free agent pool, now he‘s at the top of the pops given you don’t have to be Nostradamus to work out how the next eight months will unfold.

The Crows defender has already put contract talks on hold, they will remain that way as he gets his way back from injury, and then by mid-season when the Crows are most likely struggling again he‘ll privately start to look at the big-time offers coming from over the border.

And then when the season comes to a close, the former Geelong Falcon will reveal that suddenly the pull of home is too much and he‘ll be activating his free agency status to get back to Victoria.

In-between time, there will be plenty of denials and pledges of love for Adelaide but mark February 11 down as the day all 10 Victorian clubs started formulating their juicy offers for the 25-year-old centre half-back.

Link
FMD

How many times has the same article been written about the crows over the past decade or more with the name of the player involved being the only significant content change?

Doedee is no loss hasn't been the same since his knee reco .
Redman and Himmelberg would be upgrades.

Doedee leaving is all over Crows social media ( because the supporters thought he would be captain but the club chose Dawson)

Siposs looked ok but never really pulled it together consistently. Maybe a harsh delisting in an era where they were s**t but it's worked out better for him.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
He's earning more than 90% of AFL players and is about to play in one of the most watched television events in the world, so yeah, I'd say it's working out better for him.

I'm surprised more don't make the transition. Surely Trent McKenzie could've had more fame and money as a punter than as an AFL footballer.

He's earning more than 90% of AFL players and is about to play in one of the most watched television events in the world, so yeah, I'd say it's working out better for him.

I'm surprised more don't make the transition. Surely Trent McKenzie could've had more fame and money as a punter than as an AFL footballer.

Because it’s not that hard, so no real need for international players.
The new rules (touchbacks etc) and analytics (it’s statistically better to ‘go for it’ on 4th than punt in many circumstances, similarly with 2 pointers) have nerfed the kickers even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back