Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong star Tyson Stengle was treated by paramedics and rushed to hospital in an ambulance after being found unresponsive in a nightclub on Sunday morning.

The 25-year-old was transported to University Geelong Hospital at around 2am.
Stengle spent around three hours in hospital before being picked up and driven home. He attended training at the club on Monday.
there are suggestions Stengle’s drink may have been spiked"

"“The club’s priority is Tyson’s mental health and wellbeing"

:rolleyes:

We wanted to keep him. He was a good player on an upward trajectory. He had family reasons to be back in Victoria and the club let him go. Probably deserved more at the trade table but I think it was the right thing to do.
Ah tah :)

Finishing 15th, 14th 13th and 16th in the last 4 years is the main reason they’ve improved. If you have a list like ours you’re not going to be bad enough to finish that low making it harder to improve faster through the draft.

Hawthorn doing very good right now but there’s no guarantee they will improve next year as teams will take them more seriously and find ways of shutting them down.
A lot of posters here had the Crows making the 8 this year after last year and we all know how that turned out.

Let's not be too concerned with next year Hawthorn are a hot chance of making the eight this year, on the basis of their current form and their draw they probably will and if things go their way they might even jag a top four finish. After losing their first five games they have won eleven from their past fourteen which almost makes them the hottest team in the competition at the moment. With that record I do not think anyone should be taking them too lightly this season let alone next season. The difference between Hawthorn and Adelaide is that Hawthorn attract players whereas the Crows loose them.

As for our drafting it is hard to improve via the Draft if you trade away Draft picks to plug gaps. One of the biggest problems in our list has been our ability to develop tall players in the Hinkley era. We have been forced to trade for talls like Ryder, Dixon, Lycett, Sweet, Soldo, Allir, Ratugolea, Watts etc. and have not been able to hang onto enough first and second round Draft picks in the process. The point I make is Hawthorn seem to be able to get it right. They attract players while hanging onto first and second round picks.

Let's not be too concerned with next year Hawthorn are a hot chance of making the eight this year, on the basis of their current form and their draw they probably will and if things go their way they might even jag a top four finish. After losing their first five games they have won eleven from their past fourteen which almost makes them the hottest team in the competition at the moment. With that record I do not think anyone should be taking them too lightly this season let alone next season. The difference between Hawthorn and Adelaide is that Hawthorn attract players whereas the Crows loose them.

As for our drafting it is hard to improve via the Draft if you trade away Draft picks to plug gaps. One of the biggest problems in our list has been our ability to develop tall players in the Hinkley era. We have been forced to trade for talls like Ryder, Dixon, Lycett, Sweet, Soldo, Allir, Ratugolea, Watts etc. and have not been able to hang onto enough first and second round Draft picks in the process. The point I make is Hawthorn seem to be able to get it right. They attract players while hanging onto first and second round picks.
Hawthorn have done well no doubt about it but if you want a crack at the best talent you have to finish down near the bottom not playing finals.
Our midfield is too good to finish bottom 4 in this comp,we will always be around the top half for some time.
Basically in Limbo, not good enough to win a flag but not bad enough to be cellar dwellers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spiked

Austin Powers Laser GIF

Not a hope in hell, there’s been nothing going on illegal at Geelong for years.
Just a lot of innuendo 😉

And government funding

We've missed Karl. He hasn't put a season together at Hawthorn better than what he played with us in 2021, or 2022 for that matter. Xavier might be averaging numbers this year with Essendon like he did in his first season with us, and Bonner's numbers might have slightly improved but at no point in any of our games this year for one second have I thought, shit we miss Bonner and Duursma.
I dont dispute your logic regarding Karl and his 21 & 22 seasons with us were excellent. However, if you look at his rating points which is his impact in games over the past 2 years they are far better at Hawthorn. His impact has been greater there which again as per my point is due to coaching and development. As for Bonner his numbers haven't improved slightly, they are career best other than his 2019 season at Port. As for your last point well that's debatable and no doubt a point of contention. But I know who I'd rather have kicking the ball I50 vs Lachie Jones

Maybe include your stats for a more “balanced and informed discussion”.
AFL.com.au will answer your question, however I'm happy to assist if you aren't capable -
Rating points -
Duursma - Port 23: 160, Ess 24: 262 (YTD)
Amon - Port 22: 366, Hawks 23:370, 24: 342 (YTD)
Bonner - Port 22: 202, 23: 171, Saints 24: 218 (YTD)
All performing more productively at other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back