Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope that they are successful in changing it to careless, and then the Tribunal still imposes a 4 week ban, just like it did against Sam Powell-Pepper and Peter Wright for careless, high contact and severe impact.

The AFL really should've just graded it careless, especially considering they were matching the penalty given against two other players who were graded careless. He's laid a bump, but the high contact has come from the careless nature of the bump causing a clash between the top of Rankine's head and Starcevich's chin.

For rough conduct, the AFL is trying to argue that Rankine intentionally committed a reportable offence.

Its like they've set up the Crows for a "win" with a three game suspension after dropping it to careless.

I suspect their thinking is that if the bump had happened in the course of play, it would be graded careless. But Rankine has intentionally crashed into Starcevich off the ball.

The AFL definition of intentional states that, For example, a strike will be regarded as Intentional where a Player delivers a blow to an opponent with the intention of striking him. And they can argue that's what Rankine did.

How to say Eff off Pykey without saying Eff off Pykey.

Maybe Simmo would like to be Josh Carr's senior assistant next year?

KANE CORNES:

I'll personally take a week off work to help pack his bags

Leaving See Ya GIF by MOODMAN

The AFL definition of intentional states that, For example, a strike will be regarded as Intentional where a Player delivers a blow to an opponent with the intention of striking him. And they can argue that's what Rankine did.
The Tribunal guidelines have that specifically in the section for striking charges. And its also ties in to the fact that there's no such thing as a legal strike.

Rankine's been charged with rough conduct. And laying a block, even when the ball is out of play can still a legal action. Like if there was no head clash, then there's no reportable instance here, which is what puts us back to not intentionally committing a reportable offence.

But I'm just shitty its going to be used to reduce his suspension to less than SPPs, despite the fact that he's done at least the same amount wrong as Powell-Pepper did.

Adam Simpson, 11 Years, 6 Finals Series (7W, 5L), 2 GF's, 1 Premiership
Ken Hinkley, 12 Years, 6 Finals Series (5W, 7L), 0 GF's, 0 Premierships

And.... They've gotten into the market ahead of us. A good brave and smart call by a ruthless board. Meanwhile don't touch Kenny boy.
That’s the bit that annoys me most.

Adam Simpson, 11 Years, 6 Finals Series (7W, 5L), 2 GF's, 1 Premiership
Ken Hinkley, 12 Years, 6 Finals Series (5W, 7L), 0 GF's, 0 Premierships
That' the thing. Simpson went for glory and got there twice with a win in 2018 but has bottomed out and hit the spoon or close to it for the last three years or so.

Kenny Average and Kochmuncher never really went for glory and have never made a Granny but they've never bottomed out either. Just cruising on mediocre and if there is a bit of a kerfuffle, Kenny sends a rocket and the boys respond with just enough.

You just can't really palette that in any way, shape or form. They are to be despised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That' the thing. Simpson went for glory and got there twice with a win in 2018 but has bottomed out and hit the spoon or close to it for the last three years or so.

Kenny Average and Kochmuncher never really went for glory and have never made a Granny but they've never bottomed out either. Just cruising on mediocre and if there is a bit of a kerfuffle, Kenny sends a rocket and the boys respond with just enough.

You just can't really palette that in any way, shape or form. They are to be despised.
It's funny we exist to win premierships, but it seems the clubs internal and unsaid philosophy is to exist to stay competitive.

We've nearly wasted 20 years since our last flag and only achieved 1 minor premiership and 1 grand final appearance.

If you told me today, that I would have to accept 3 years at the bottom of the ladder and 3 x #1 picks, and a few other building years, but I get to have watch us win a premiership next year. I would take it all day every day.

3-5 wasted years is nothing, compared to decades of mid table wasting of time, with no real hope of a premiership in sight.

I'm 100% happy to risk it for the biscuit. Would rather try and fail than have never tried at all.

He's partially right, we're all extremist in our views when we're passionate, but at the same time, you need to understand that and develop a thicker skin. When your a coach and your club backs you in year after year, but you're going nowhere the media and supporters can all see that change is required and they are going to call that out and you need to be able to live with the fact that if you don't turn that around quick, it'll be time to move on, no matter who you are. Literally the entire history of the role of a coach, has been as a coordinating motivator that is changed regularly to keep that motivation up. No point building from the ground up with a stale message. If you're going to rebuild, you should do so with a fresh voice and ideas.

Reckon Dean Cox will be the senior coach @ WC next season.

He's served his apprenticeship under Longmire.

The Tribunal guidelines have that specifically in the section for striking charges. And its also ties in to the fact that there's no such thing as a legal strike.

Rankine's been charged with rough conduct. And laying a block, even when the ball is out of play can still a legal action. Like if there was no head clash, then there's no reportable instance here, which is what puts us back to not intentionally committing a reportable offence.

But I'm just shitty its going to be used to reduce his suspension to less than SPPs, despite the fact that he's done at least the same amount wrong as Powell-Pepper did.

There has to be some reasoning behind going with intentional, guess we'll find out at the tribunal.

Richmond were bottom of the ladder after Rd 0 this year. Is that the same as 18th?? For AFL Tables it is.

We have been 18th 3 times, during our 0-5 start in 2022, Rds 2, 4 and 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back