Review Port vs Brisbane QF @ The Gabba - It's OK Guys, Finals are a Bit Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one half upset as I was actually anticipating a similar result. I think we still battled hard but we squandered our opportunities with some easy set shot shots in the first half. They’re just a better side with solid defence. Ours has been a Swiss cheese all year. And to top it off, we lose 2 on the bench so after that point, we were no chance.

TBH while I initially thought that our accuracy was the main issue why we lost, chances are that even if we were up by a few goals, we would have lost anyway.
The best part of our team, the midfield, is still quite young and inconsistent. If we are losing centre clearances and the defence is under pressure, which is a guarantee these days given momentum swings, we don't have the capacity to defend resolutely for too long or hold the ball under pressure.
We were also unable to lock the ball i50, it was very odd. Lord was great, the rest of the forwardline were disappointing. At least Marshall got the ball, Finlayson was probably worst on ground for mine. If Dixon is back, he has to come in.

We are still a few years off competing for grand finals IMO. We slightly overachieved this H&A, imo so wouldn't be shocked if we lose to GWS and regardless can't see us beating Collingwood.

Am I the only one half upset as I was actually anticipating a similar result. I think we still battled hard but we squandered our opportunities with some easy set shot shots in the first half. They’re just a better side with solid defence. Ours has been a Swiss cheese all year. And to top it off, we lose 2 on the bench so after that point, we were no chance.
I look at it like this Hinkley went so hard to get 13-wins-a-row for his contract extension that he mismanaged players, he stuffed up ports finals chances. He played players injured in most of them games and they are currently injured or still playing injured.

Marshall has been playing with an injury and he's goalkicking confidence has suffered because of it.

Hinkenheimer
Jonas calf
Aliir knee

Plenty out there.

Jonas wasn’t getting picked anyway. Allir knee? First I’ve heard of that. And I assume the other one is something to do with that random comment from Ollie about atomic bombs that had absolutely no bearing on the result whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We really needed to hold second position on the ladder.Brisbane up north is harder than the Pies at the G.
In reality the loss was quiet predictable. The way we lost is a real concern. Injuries out of form players.To few doing to much heavy lifting.
We defeated Gws at home,quiet recently. Maby they where overdue for a loss that day.
Allir is under siege down back. He needs help down there.
Our rucks arnt marking around the ground.
Some of our mids arnt getting there hands on the footy.And when they do they cough the footy up.
Our fwds cant hit the side of a barn.Theres no space to lead into and delivery fwd is terrible.

History is littered with teams getting pumped in the first final, bouncing back the next week with a solid win, then losing a close prelim.

Bookmark it.

IF we win next week the Prelim will only be close if the oppo put the cue in the rack saving themselves for the Granny.

Honestly if Brisbane had to win by 10 goals last night they would've. Their overall structure and ball movement was

way better. It looked like they took lessons from Rd1 and someone on here said they had a scratch match last week.

We went to the movies

IF we win next week the Prelim will only be close if the oppo put the cue in the rack saving themselves for the Granny.

Honestly if Brisbane had to win by 10 goals last night they would've. Their overall structure and ball movement was

way better. It looked like they took lessons from Rd1 and someone on here said they had a scratch match last week.

We went to the movies
Our guys didn’t come back after the Richmond game until the Friday. Ken, Connor and Zak were having coffee with Grundy. How switched on and tuned in were we really?

I look at it like this Hinkley went so hard to get 13-wins-a-row for his contract extension that he mismanaged players, he stuffed up ports finals chances. He played players injured in most of them games and they are currently injured or still playing injured.

Marshall has been playing with an injury and he's goalkicking confidence has suffered because of it.
Great post.
I don’t understand our fascination with playing guys through injury. A season after Geelong were lauded for resting senior players & getting them cherry ripe for finals & we do the opposite.

I have to admit to getting annoyed with some of Choco's incoherent mumblings and those lame attempts at mind games ( particularly with malted milkhouse ), but at least the bloke wore his heart on his sleeve and obviously felt the pain of a loss, not so old mate kern, his pressers are full of smirks, cop outs, and shoulder shrugs.

No one with his record should have ever been allowed to get that comfortable at Alberton!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was of the thought why is it always us teams pull goals out their ass. Then it came to me, it frequently happens to us because we don’t apply enough pressure, the lack of perceived pressure on the scoreboard in play facilitates this

What is that flog kingy going on about saying we had a “horror” week? We were woeful last night but what happened during the week that was bad that he would even know about?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Our coach is an embarrassment. How he publicly speaks and presents himself is a disgrace.

Great post.
I don’t understand our fascination with playing guys through injury. A season after Geelong were lauded for resting senior players & getting them cherry ripe for finals & we do the opposite.

For a football club that bangs on about ‘connection’, ‘care’ and the health and well-being of its players as ‘people’, we have absolutely no qualms bandaging them up and pushing them back out there.

The Ebert and Aliir/Jones instances are well-documented, but McKenzie strapping up and coming back on despite struggling to put weight on his leg, at a time when the game was all but gone, and subsequently hobbling about with the agility of a bollard was rough.

If only we were that desperate to win at all costs in the boardroom.

The stand-up for me is hinkley has has 11 years to build a side to be competitive at finals level. The side he has assembled is far from that. 11 years to continually fall so far short is unforgivable at this level. Brisbane was far more accomplished than we were and the pressure of finals has shown this up.
With hinkley going to Melbourne to talk to Grundy and all the talk about Esava and other recruits show this club is frantically trying to cover their incompetence. Imo we will see the same old results as we had with the Ryder and all the other missing links that hinkley has been handed. All the while Koch is out selling his fantasy points.

I got my hopes up a bit before half time but it was sadly predictable after.
Before the game everyone was saying we needed to do 3 things
Start well
Take our chances going forward
Get on top in the midfield
Failed all three
The missed set shots, I counted 7 in the first half, along with Duursmas turnovers killed any momentum and confidence we had.
Realistically we are too banged up, down on form & our defence is simply not good enough this year.
Look at Collingwoods defence or the ports of old with Delaney, Phillips, Mead, fiachi, northeast, Wilson.
It’s defences like that which win gfs

On tonight's performance, and the cumulative evidence of the season, there is no way that Ollie Wines can wear the #1 next year.

Lacks any inspirational qualities. Does not influence games when they are in the balance. Has a major kicking deficiency. Doesn't stand up in the big moments. Cannot stick a tackle.
What worries me is that there are people at the club who for a number of years have thought he is the right person to be our captain.

How can the senior coach talk about playing football the “port adelaide way” or “what we stand for” or “who we are”

How can he repeatedly reference those slogans mentioned above and then pick a bloke as captain who lays tackle in a final.

This is not the first to me Ollie wines has disappointed in a final or showdown.

Notice we’re not playing the same style we were during our 13 game win streak, You know kicking the ball into the middle? We’ve reverted back to Ken’s status quo of playing the ball along the boundary, Ken knows what he’s doing when it comes to grifting Port Adelaide

We are still a few years off competing for grand finals IMO. We slightly overachieved this H&A, imo so wouldn't be shocked if we lose to GWS and regardless can't see us beating Collingwood.

Lol our Grand Final window slammed shut after 2014. We wont get near it while these Bobos are in charge.

Honestly, I never miss home games, and certainly never missed a home final. However I really feel like there's just no point in attending next week. If we win then woop-dee-doo. It means nothing, we aren't going anywhere. Just feels so pointless.

I guess the only reason you go is because if we win and then fluke something at the G, you want to be part of the ride. The reality is though it just isn't happening. Its incredibly predictable. We have ZERO chance against Collingwood at the G.

I'm only going to boo them off the field after we lose

... We will have to wear brown shorts.
2560px-Reebok_2019_logo.svg.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port vs Brisbane QF @ The Gabba - It's OK Guys, Finals are a Bit Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back