Possible Rookie Listings

Remove this Banner Ad

From SA there is a few sturt lads that have caught my eye. Particularly Benjamin Hansen from the Under 18's. 175 cm small defender/outside midfielder. Quick. Good Hands. Gets plenty of it. Very well built for a small lad in the Campbell Brown mould but much more skilful. The lad can kick the footy 65+. Would be a very handy player for the crows who wouldnt mind another small defender who could free up Johncock. I've seen him play several times this year as I follow their competion the Maccas Cup. Will probably also win the B&F. Anyone else seen this guy play?

From SA there is a few sturt lads that have caught my eye. Particularly Benjamin Hansen from the Under 18's. 175 cm small defender/outside midfielder. Quick. Good Hands. Gets plenty of it. Very well built for a small lad in the Campbell Brown mould but much more skilful. The lad can kick the footy 65+. Would be a very handy player for the crows who wouldnt mind another small defender who could free up Johncock. I've seen him play several times this year as I follow their competion the Maccas Cup. Will probably also win the B&F. Anyone else seen this guy play?
I've heard a bit about Hansen. Sounds like a good prospect and will probably get rookied.
Also from Sturt what about Alex Wilson? Seems like a very solid midfielder. SA U18 representative and won the U18's MVP as well.

Call this a prophecy, or what you will, but I think we are going to see a unique shift in AFL drafting para dime, but i think there will be more than 25 Indigenous players added to AFL lists this draft period, between the national and rookie draft. Which will make over 100 listed Indigenous players in the AFL. Given the nature of this years draft and the apparent pool of talent, i beleive most clubs are leaning in this direction. Here is why,

1.with the exception of 2 clubs, every club interviewed all Indigenous invitees to this years draft camp.
2. state screening indigenous numbers are at an all time high.
3. On a recent trip to look at a player in the NT, i for the first time saw scouts from most teams at a NTFL trial game, (you would never get more than 2 a match years previous, important to note this game did not include any of this years draft camp attendees) and the person i was there to see was speculative at best.
4. 2 clubs with very low Indigenous player numbers have recently employed scouts who's specific role is to cover, catching up to the rest of the league Bathurst Island, Tiwi Island, Arnhem Land, The Kimberly and Western Northern Territory.

I think with the success of Liam Jurrah, the mold is broken now, you can take an indigenous boy regardless of background with confidence.

Call this a prophecy, or what you will, but I think we are going to see a unique shift in AFL drafting para dime, but i think there will be more than 25 Indigenous players added to AFL lists this draft period, between the national and rookie draft. Which will make over 100 listed Indigenous players in the AFL. Given the nature of this years draft and the apparent pool of talent, i beleive most clubs are leaning in this direction. Here is why,

1.with the exception of 2 clubs, every club interviewed all Indigenous invitees to this years draft camp.
2. state screening indigenous numbers are at an all time high.
3. On a recent trip to look at a player in the NT, i for the first time saw scouts from most teams at a NTFL trial game, (you would never get more than 2 a match years previous, important to note this game did not include any of this years draft camp attendees) and the person i was there to see was speculative at best.
4. 2 clubs with very low Indigenous player numbers have recently employed scouts who's specific role is to cover, catching up to the rest of the league Bathurst Island, Tiwi Island, Arnhem Land, The Kimberly and Western Northern Territory.

I think with the success of Liam Jurrah, the mold is broken now, you can take an indigenous boy regardless of background with confidence.

Who were the 2 clubs who didn't interview the Indigenous boys.

all clubs interviewed indigenous players, but 2 clubs didnt interview all of them.

those 2 clubs where Essendon and Brisbane. But they spoke to a large portion of them

I am not surprised about this because there has been mutterings about this on Bomber Blitz.

I've heard a bit about Hansen. Sounds like a good prospect and will probably get rookied.
Also from Sturt what about Alex Wilson? Seems like a very solid midfielder. SA U18 representative and won the U18's MVP as well.

Yea wilson is a gun to he will probably go in the national. But Hansen is the smokey, love watching this kid play, oozes talent and is ready to play senior footy.

James Hallahan (Dandy) - Attacking medium sized defender who is very good one on one and provides good run.
Luke Andrews (Oakleigh) - A very good inside midfielder, who has good foot skills and reads the play well in tight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the clubs are interested in rookie listing NSW scholarship players. It seems that Aiden Riley (Wollongong) will be taken by Adelaide and Aaron Duncan (Pennant Hills) is heading to the saints.

Kieren Emery (UNSW/ES) had a strong 18's nat carnival up forward and is aligned to west coast.

Some of the broken hill boys, johns and camilleri, could also be taken by the power and pies. They had ok carnivals, and would probs depend on their work done at club level and while training with the AFL clubs

Some of the clubs are interested in rookie listing NSW scholarship players. It seems that Aiden Riley (Wollongong) will be taken by Adelaide and Aaron Duncan (Pennant Hills) is heading to the saints.

Kieren Emery (UNSW/ES) had a strong 18's nat carnival up forward and is aligned to west coast.

Some of the broken hill boys, johns and camilleri, could also be taken by the power and pies. They had ok carnivals, and would probs depend on their work done at club level and while training with the AFL clubs
Johns isnt eligible until next year i dont think.

I think WCE should use there first rookie selection on Johnny Bennell now that Collingwood have cut him loose. But Freo will probably steal him and in saying that thats assuming Melbourne don't take him at number 1 as they seem to think the quickest way to an successful team is to build an all Indigenous side. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they took Jetta at pick 11 or 18 more likely in the NAB national draft

I think it is aarons brother Josh that is with the saints and have heard that they may not take him. His brother Aaron is with Adelaide

Johns will go to port this year and is the right age, good to see some nsw boys getting a fare go

I think WCE should use there first rookie selection on Johnny Bennell now that Collingwood have cut him loose. But Freo will probably steal him and in saying that thats assuming Melbourne don't take him at number 1 as they seem to think the quickest way to an successful team is to build an all Indigenous side. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they took Jetta at pick 11 or 18 more likely in the NAB national draft

I thought we had our eye on Rhett Mason, wont be taken in the National Draft because he was not invited to the SS or DC. But he would make an excellent rookie selection going forward with the Gold Coast, he averaged around 20 touches a game and not only that he attacks the goal face with 32 goals for the season.

There is a chance that Gerrick Weedon wont get picked up in the National or PS drafts.

Aaron Elari is another, averaged 27 touches game for Perth.

Lewis Broome kicked 14 goals from 11 games and and with 11 touches a game gets enough of the football.

Say we got Lucas, Colyer and Fyfe in the national draft. Mason at pick 6 would be excellent and Broome at 22 and we have covered all the bases.

Lucas - Outside Mid
Colyer - Small forward/ Inside Mid
Fyfe - Medium Marking Forward
Mason - Medium forward/ Wingman
Broome - Small foward.

You're just reeling off names for the sake of it.

Allen Christensen, a rookie?

Give me a spell.

Colyer is an AA, going back to the 2007 draft even McGinnity found his way onto a senior list after making the AA squad. I think our recruiting staff where suprised he was not picked up in the National draft.

I thought we had our eye on Rhett Mason, wont be taken in the National Draft because he was not invited to the SS or DC. But he would make an excellent rookie selection going forward with the Gold Coast, he averaged around 20 touches a game and not only that he attacks the goal face with 32 goals for the season.

There is a chance that Gerrick Weedon wont get picked up in the National or PS drafts.

Aaron Elari is another, averaged 27 touches game for Perth.

Lewis Broome kicked 14 goals from 11 games and and with 11 touches a game gets enough of the football.

Say we got Lucas, Colyer and Fyfe in the national draft. Mason at pick 6 would be excellent and Broome at 22 and we have covered all the bases.

Lucas - Outside Mid
Colyer - Small forward/ Inside Mid
Fyfe - Medium Marking Forward
Mason - Medium forward/ Wingman
Broome - Small foward.

I was talking to a mate who was a team-mate of Mason at his junior club and he thinks even watching him now his only a medium forward (that alkward height of 184cm - 188cm) and apprently is too slow. So i wouldn't want to use out first rookie selection on him. Im happen with Johnny Bennell as 1st rookie pick, the Elari (Jack Clarke medalist as 2nd) i have herd broome goes ok but i believe our third selection should come from outside the WAFL (even though i'm not a big fan of having inter-state players on a rookie list as they just don't develop as good as home grown players). After saying that Perhaps our third rookie selection should come from the WAFL:p I believe Mason will be still there with our 3rd rookie selection so no need to take him higher as he is unknown to the other interstate clubs

Im hoping Neates falls through to the Rookie Draft.

Rhett has picked up some big numbers in the Colts and averaged 19 disposals a game, he also kicked 32 goals over 20 games. So he gets the ball and attacks the goal face.

I thought Elari would be excessive to our needs and he will probably wind up at Fremantle anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible Rookie Listings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back