Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

So Campbell is 2023’s inaugural whipping boy nominee.

I always love the hyperbole and hysteria after trial games.

I think it is down to the lack of improvement going into his 3rd season. Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say Campbell will be better in 2023 than he was in his first season in 2021?

So Campbell is 2023’s inaugural whipping boy nominee.

I always love the hyperbole and hysteria after trial games.

I hope he turns into a gun but leople have been concerned about Campbell's development for ages. He struggles with conditioning and physicality

All armchair eyes are on him for a reason

At this rate he's Lloyd's replacement but Lloyd has elite running

I think it is down to the lack of improvement going into his 3rd season. Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say Campbell will be better in 2023 than he was in his first season in 2021?
I never, ever draw conclusions based on a trial, especially a low intensity match sim.

But granted, we have been starved on conversation points on Bigfooty & there will always be a whipping boy!

Personally, I think Campbell is tracking ok. We all know he’s a beautiful kick & midfield is probably his eventual spot.

A year ago, Stephens was a bust according to many here. Third year is a critical year. Stephens emerged in year 3 & I have no reason believe that Campbell won’t do the same.

Last edited:
The biggest red flag is the tank though and ai hate the bloke in defence looks completely lost there. Needs to be on the HFF not in defence. If he turns into a mid that’s great but if he’s an elite half forward with a few stunts here and there in the middle that’s more than fine.

I don’t think he’ll be a midfielder

The biggest red flag is the tank though and ai hate the bloke in defence looks completely lost there. Needs to be on the HFF not in defence. If he turns into a mid that’s great but if he’s an elite half forward with a few stunts here and there in the middle that’s more than fine.

I don’t think he’ll be a midfielder

I don't like him up forward either as he has played there several times and done very little. He actually plays better off half back.

We've played one practice game.

Don't think Tom McCartin took a single mark all day
Warner hit about 3 targets by hand or foot all day
Rowbottom missed more tackles than he made
Florent double-grabbed every single ball that came his way

Do we worry about any of these things this year or is Campbell the only one who can be judged by his performance today?

It's a shite look IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've played one practice game.

Don't think Tom McCartin took a single mark all day
Warner hit about 3 targets by hand or foot all day
Rowbottom missed more tackles than he made
Florent double-grabbed every single ball that came his way

Do we worry about any of these things this year or is Campbell the only one who can be judged by his performance today?

It's a shite look IMO
No need to get emotional.
I think we care about all of the players careers.
We do not have concerns about the other players you mentioned careers.
Is it unreasonable to voice concerns?

The concerns arise because he is not best 22. And our expectations are that he should be based upon his draft position.
It is reasonable to expect that.

It is not a shite look.

I think the question is what position in the Swans team is Campbell a lock? In the best 22 I mean. That is the question.
If he is not best 22 then what is his best position. He has talents that others do not.
How do we maximise those talents and blend hin into the team.
I do not think anyone on this forum has the answer bcause I don't think the Swans have the answer.

The concerns arise because he is not best 22. And our expectations are that he should be based upon his draft position.

It is not a shite look.

I think the question is what position in the Swans team is Campbell a lock? In the best 22 I mean. That is the question.
If he is not best 22 then what is his best position. He has talents that others do not.
I do not think anyone on this forum has the answer bcause I don't think the Swans have the answer.
He’ll take Florent’s spot once it’s confirmed he’s being traded ….

😋

He’ll take Florent’s spot once it’s confirmed he’s being traded ….

😋
I know it is not on topic but Florent was everywhere today. He is the professional. I love his evasiveness in tight situations. He goes this way, he goes that way, he swivels, he jinks, he has all the moves and he almost always goes on a run and delivers the ball. Class.

It is not a shite look.

I say it's a shite look because it really does read as people simply being frustrated that the team played like crap and didn't give us much to rave about, so they're just taking their frustrations out on an easy target like Campbell. If it was really about how he played today, as I said, there were a lot of other players we could aim our targets at.

I mean people are already complaining about the season he's going to have before it's even started.

As for the idea that he should be best 22 by now based on his draft expectations... says who? Another pick 5 in Stephens was still in the VFL midway through his third year. Campbell's third year hasn't even begun yet. It's a marathon, not a sprint. There's no prize for being the best 21 year old in the competition. It's the same as at draft time. Everyone's so obsessed with which kid can have a massive impact early on. Who gives a ****? I care about what a player will do when they're in their mid-20s contending for a flag. Anything else is a bonus.

I say it's a shite look because it really does read as people simply being frustrated that the team played like crap and didn't give us much to rave about, so they're just taking their frustrations out on an easy target like Campbell. If it was really about how he played today, as I said, there were a lot of other players we could aim our targets at.

I mean people are already complaining about the season he's going to have before it's even started.

As for the idea that he should be best 22 by now based on his draft expectations... says who? Another pick 5 in Stephens was still in the VFL midway through his third year. Campbell's third year hasn't even begun yet. It's a marathon, not a sprint. There's no prize for being the best 21 year old in the competition. It's the same as at draft time. Everyone's so obsessed with which kid can have a massive impact early on. Who gives a ****? I care about what a player will do when they're in their mid-20s contending for a flag. Anything else is a bonus.
I think you are aiming your gun at a lot more than me. Hence the most angerous(I'll claim that word as the newest in the Oxford English Dictionary) word I have heard you use.

I said that people have an expectation that Campbell should be best 22 based upon his draft pick at 5. That is not an unrealistic expectation. He was a highly rated academy prospect from a long way off. No need to get emotional about it.
He is not best 22. After a few seasons. Questions should arise.

I don't know about others that you have directed your anger at. But my questions is, and I have wondered about this over the last 2 years, where is he best played. Where is his best position to maximize his unique talents. Defense seems to me is constraining him. But that is just me. You also look at a player and see whether they are enjoying their football. He does not seem to me to be enthusiastic.

I think you are aiming your gun at a lot more than me. Hence the most angerous(I'll claim that word as the newest in the Oxford English Dictionary) word I have heard you use.

I said that people have an expectation that Campbell should be best 22 based upon his draft pick at 5. That is not an unrealistic expectation. He was a highly rated academy prospect from a long way off. No need to get emotional about it.

I don't know about others that you have directed your anger at. But my questions is, and I have wondered about this over the last 2 years, where is he best played. Where is his best position to maximize his unique talents. Defense seems to me is constraining him. But that is just me. You also look at a player and see whether they are enjoying their football. He does not seem to me to be enthusiastic.

and I know this does not mean much given that they are only into their 3rd seasons but I think right now, if you put all the 2020 draft players back into a pool and had them be redrafted with everything we know know I don't think Campbell is going top 10, perhaps not even the first round.

and I know this does not mean much given that they are only into their 3rd seasons but I think right now, if you put all the 2020 draft players back into a pool and had them be redrafted with everything we know know I don't think Campbell is going top 10, perhaps not even the first round.
That is why you are not a draft expert.

Not angry at you rusty, or at anyone. People can post what they like but IMO we just need to lay off the kid and just see what happens.

If he was out of contract and a threat of being traded or delisted then what to do with him would be a relevant talking point. But we've got him for another few years at least, so we've got so much time to just be patient and let Campbell and the coaches figure it out.

Not angry at you rusty, or at anyone. People can post what they like but IMO we just need to lay off the kid and just see what happens.

If he was out of contract and a threat of being traded or delisted then what to do with him would be a relevant talking point. But we've got him for another few years at least, so we've got so much time to just be patient and let Campbell and the coaches figure it out.
I know you are not angry with me. How could you be?
The questions will always be asked. He needs to do something this year. If he is not best 22 come round 23 then more questions will come. It is inevitable. That is life in the AFL.

It is not the end of the world though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back