Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane are a top 4 side playing close to their best side except maybe Zorko or Lyons (arguable Now) and Adams (long term concussion)

We are missing a few cogs in Blakey, Papley and Clarke (for a lock down role) Hickey and Fox for at least argument of those that were best 22 last season.

Those inclusions would bridge the gap a bit

So..........My take is we are a top
4 quality team again if we can have another good run with injuries like the Lions also had last year.

You dont get that kind of take from a match like that its impossible to determine how we will go in a home and away game based on that.

Just felt like it was easy for brisbane to get a scoring opportunity. Backline was pretty close to 100%

I also get its a practice match. Next week will be better indication vs mckay and curnow

Just felt like it was easy for brisbane to get a scoring opportunity. Backline was pretty close to 100%
The back-line was missing Blakey and Fox, but not sure why you're marking them any harder than the rest. They, like our midfield and forward group, just looked rusty, and a bad mixture of sluggish and panicked.

We don't need them firing in February.

Agreed. Mills can kick a goal every so often but Parker is genuinely really good up forward. He is a strong mark and an accurate kick at goal. If given the choice between Parker and Mills up forward I am picking Parker every single time and leaving Mills in the midfield.
And if I'm a coach I'm not saying that if it's likely to happen. :)

I'm pretty pleased warner looks like he is picking up from where he left off. He made some mistakes but he was in and around scoring opportunities, won plenty of the ball and his evasiveness and tackle breaking looked as good as ever

Campbell is a concern. After 3 pre seasons I would expect to at least get some meaningful midfield minutes in a practice game

Not that they are similar but I remember Jared Moore, him having the talent to play in the AFL but him never having the tank needed and that cut his career short by a very long way.

Same thing with RCD from Richmond. Seemed to be good, but just couldn't run out matches and as a result he just couldn't forge a decent career.

Campbell could be one of the most talented players on the list but if he can only run out half a match he is useless.

I thought there was one moment where Sheldrick really showed his youth, and maybe an indicator of why he's not (yet) being considered for the midfield at this stage. He had the ball at half forward and coughed the ball up to a Lions player as soon as he felt the pressure. But he took his eyes off it to kinda reprimand himself over the mistake, instead of just staying in the contest and getting on with it. I think that ability to not let things rattle you like that is something that separates those who can make it in the 22 from those still fighting their way in. We saw this with Stephens, and I think developing that natural confidence to just take each play at its merit was what finally made him feel comfortable at the level.

I did like Sheldrick's willingness to crack in, especially with the ol' fashioned hip and shoulder a few times. I still think he's a chance for a round 1 spot in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that they are similar but I remember Jared Moore, him having the talent to play in the AFL but him never having the tank needed and that cut his career short by a very long way.

Same thing with RCD from Richmond. Seemed to be good, but just couldn't run out matches and as a result he just couldn't forge a decent career.

Campbell could be one of the most talented players on the list but if he can only run out half a match he is useless.
I see you're back on this, even though Campbell ran out the game fine (though didn't play particularly well) and he was playing in a position where his tank didn't have much of a bearing.

Campbell has averaged 72.3% TOG in his first two seasons. Not exactly Mills or Heeney levels of fitness, but higher than his 2020 counterpart McDonald (71.6%) or a fellow midfielder Rowbottom (71%) managed in their first two years in the system. McDonald is regularly benched for long stretches of second halves, while Rowbottom only started maintaining his level over four quarters last year, in his fourth year. Campbell is only entering his third year.

I don't recall any such concerns about whether those two would make it, despite needing a lot of work on their tank.

I asked you the above in his player thread but didn't get a response, so thought I'd try again, since it's such a pressing concern, specific to Campbell apparently.

Campbell has been with the swans the majority of his life. There is no excuse that he doesn't have a tank capable of at least having a run through the middle. He has shown little development so far at the club and I'm fairly sure he wasn't drafted to be a small defender.

Don't think anyone would argue that he's not where we thought he would be.

I rate the guy, I think he's exceptionally quick and obviously a beautiful kick, but something is failing with his development

I see you're back on this, even though Campbell ran out the game fine (though didn't play particularly well) and he was playing in a position where his tank didn't have much of a bearing.

Campbell has averaged 72.3% TOG in his first two seasons. Not exactly Mills or Heeney levels of fitness, but higher than his 2020 counterpart McDonald (71.6%) or a fellow midfielder Rowbottom (71%) managed in their first two years in the system. McDonald is regularly benched for long stretches of second halves, while Rowbottom only started maintaining his level over four quarters last year, in his fourth year. Campbell is only entering his third year.

I don't recall any such concerns about whether those two would make it, despite needing a lot of work on their tank.

I asked you the above in his player thread but didn't get a response, so thought I'd try again, since it's such a pressing concern, specific to Campbell apparently.
Campbell has been with the academy for the majority of his life. The club would have obviously ear marked him as an afl level midfielder fairly early in the piece. The work should have been done by now to get his fitness to an acceptable level

Campbell has been with the swans the majority of his life. There is no excuse that he doesn't have a tank capable of at least having a run through the middle. He has shown little development so far at the club and I'm fairly sure he wasn't drafted to be a small defender.

Don't think anyone would argue that he's not where we thought he would be.

I rate the guy, I think he's exceptionally quick and obviously a beautiful kick, but something is failing with his development
Based on what? Today's game?

If we're using that as a measure, then the McCartins have the worst set of hands in the AFL, Warner's the biggest butcher in the team, McDonald will be a bust, Buddy should've retired last year, Rowbottom's an average tackler, Hayward won't get a goal this year. I can go on if you like?

Based on what? Today's game?

If we're using that as a measure, then the McCartins have the worst set of hands in the AFL, Warner's the biggest butcher in the team, McDonald will be a bust, Buddy should've retired last year, Rowbottom's an average tackler, Hayward won't get a goal this year. I can go on if you like?
Based on what we've seen the past 2 seasons, and it appears not much has changed.

Today was a practice game where we threw around alot of different midfield units and he wasn't considered

This time last year many on here were calling Stephens a bust.. there were also the beginnings of concern regarding Campbell
Im certainly not going to pretend to be an excellent judge of young footy players, but what I do know is..
There are only so many young (1st-4th yr) players that can take the field each week.
The Swans team is a very hard team to break into (and full of young players)
The Swans know what they're doing in regards to developing players
Many players take a few years

fwiw.. My tip is Campbell will be a gun! multiple top 10 in the b&f, All australian, premiership player

The back-line was missing Blakey and Fox, but not sure why you're marking them any harder than the rest. They, like our midfield and forward group, just looked rusty, and a bad mixture of sluggish and panicked.

We don't need them firing in February.
Its one of the main areas they needed to work on during the off season. Stopping the run on and momentum

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back