Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell is a concern. After 3 pre seasons I would expect to at least get some meaningful midfield minutes in a practice game
Campbell has trained with the mids all pre-season. From memory I think he played purely midfield in the 2 intra club games.

I am guessing he played defence today because we were missing Fox, Blakey and Cunningham. Or they wanted to also get a look at other players in midfield.

McAndrew had a lovely moment with the very first centre bounce where he tapped it straight into one of our mids hands, thus helping us get a quick clearance and subsequent goal.

I'm on record as saying I doubt whether he will make it but that one play showed me why we have persisted with him and there may well be something to work with. His around the ground work still needs much improvement but I guess 200cm + novice rucks will take time.

Didn't even notice Mitchell but Edwards seemed to go quite well, especially since he was not exactly playing in his ideal position.

The 19 yo? Doesn't have an ideal position. He wasn't playing defence but it was a practise match - he could've been moved there if the coaches thought that was beneficial.

The highlight of the game for me was Edwards. Supposed to be a key defender. Played ruck with McAndrew and I thought he won the majority of his contests. Played Key forward and took a great mark in the final quarter. The Reid swingman replacement with the added ability to ruck. Runs through the midfield and tackles mids. I'm onboard and willing to drive the bus. Give him a few years and he will be unstoppable.
Was a fan of drafting him. Has the competitiveness to go with his athletic ability.

Positives:

1) Big McAndrew looks OK, worth persisting with.
2) Gulden at stoppages will provide spark. Clean hands, penetrative kick, good vision and just a tough bugger, he's perfect in tight.
3) Chad looks primed to continue his meteoric rise

The one big negative for me was our inability to kick a goal and arrest the momentum the Lions built in 3Q. I feel this has been our Achilles heel over the last few years (Inc GF) and it was disappointing to see this happen again today. Hopefully it's just related to the fact it was the first game of the year.

You dont get that kind of take from a match like that its impossible to determine how we will go in a home and away game based on that.
I think it’s more you don’t get that kind of take. I happened to get that kind of take that’s why I wrote it. No problem if you disagree but that was my take in a positive view of it.

Campbell is a concern. After 3 pre seasons I would expect to at least get some meaningful midfield minutes in a practice game
The defector, you know the one that said don't worry, spent 3 seasons in the Ressies. He is now a captain at another club. Sometimes it takes time to settle in at the AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Mitchell and tall defender go

Still don’t rate Stephens , soft outsider
Edwards played in the ruck and up forward a bit, I liked the look of him. Mitchell came on during the fourth quarter so didn’t see much of it then, but he played the reserves as well.

Hope that Edwards becomes a big key defender we need

Athletic is he?
I have high hopes for him, Punts. Was hoping we'd pick him the year before and was disappointed when we didn't. But they gave him a year in the VFL and it seemed to have convinced them to offer him the Cat B spot. They played him forward but I've always liked his work down back.

Will be keen to see where they Swans play him this year in the VFL.

No he wasnt.

Might want to tell the Swans that

While QBE Sydney Swans Academy athlete Will Edwards has been recruited as a Category B Rookie.

Key defender Edwards enjoyed an impressive rise this season, playing four VFL games in the red and white, while representing the Allies at the National Championships.

Sydney Swans General Manager of Recruitment and List Strategy, Kinnear Beatson, said all three players are long-term prospects, but he’s glad to have them at the club.

“Cameron, Jaiden and Will are all quality young men, and we welcome them to the club,” he said.

“Cameron really fits the bill as a long-term ruck prospect, while Jaiden has that rare ability to play in the midfield but also go forward and hit the scoreboard.

“We’re also thrilled to have taken Will Edwards as one of our Academy athletes. He’s had a promising season as a developing key position player, and we’re looking forward to watching him continue his development as part of our senior program.

'as a developing key position player'

said "Key Defender" earlier in the article and ruckmen are not "Key Position players" so when they say key position they can only mean forward or defender.

It also says

Will Edwards
Club:
QBE Sydney Swans Academy/North Shore Bombers
DOB: 8/5/2003
Height: 197cm
Weight: 100Kg
Position: Defender

at the bottom of the article.

Gulden was so good today. He is just warming up.
People talk about Bontempelli and Dangerfield etc. Gulden compares to them now.

Wait until he gets better.

I like him as a footy player a fair bit

Comparison going around has always been Zak Butters.

Those two are so similar it's uncanny tbh

Port thinks Zak Butters is a top 10 talent too

Glad we got him he's...born to play

I like him as a footy player a fair bit

Comparison going around has always been Zak Butters.

Those two are so similar it's uncanny tbh

Port thinks Zak Butters is a top 10 talent too

Glad we got him he's...born to play
I don't think Butters is anywhere near Gulden's trajectory. I am not happy to be proven otherwise, but I will accept it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back